The Student Room Group

Mechanics M2 Energy Question

1. A pump raises water from a reservoir at a depth of 25 m below ground level. The water is
delivered at ground level with speed 12 ms–1 through a pipe of radius 4 cm. Find
(i) the potential and kinetic energy given to the water each second,

How can I do this?
Original post by joyoustele
1. A pump raises water from a reservoir at a depth of 25 m below ground level. The water is
delivered at ground level with speed 12 ms–1 through a pipe of radius 4 cm. Find

How can I do this?

A couple of points to get you started.

* The volume of water passing through the pipe each second is the volume of a cylinder of length 12m and radius 0.04m.

* The density of water is 1,000kg per cubic m.
Reply 2
Original post by old_engineer
A couple of points to get you started.

* The volume of water passing through the pipe each second is the volume of a cylinder of length 12m and radius 0.04m.

* The density of water is 1,000kg per cubic m.

Okay, I'll see if I can go from there... Thanks
Reply 3
Original post by joyoustele

How can I do this?

I'm assuming this is constant speed, the pipe is cylindrical and the water flows vertically upwards (this doesn't seem like a real exam/textbook question - I would have expected these things to have been mentioned).

Water flows at a rate of 12 metres in one second so in one second the volume of water displaced will be π×0.042×12\pi \times 0.04^2 \times 12. The desnsity of water is 1g/cm^3 = 1000kg/m^3 so you can use this to find mass. Can you carry on from here?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Notnek
I'm assuming this is constant speed, the pipe is cylindrical and the water flows vertically upwards (this doesn't seem like a real exam/textbook question - I would have expected these things to have been mentioned).

Water flows at a rate of 12 metres in one second so in one second the volume of water displaced will be π×0.042×12\pi \times 0.04^2 \times 12. The desnsity of water is 1g/cm^3 = 1000kg/m^3 so you can use this to find mass. Can you carry on from here?

Its not a real exam paper. Its a delphis paper...im not even ready to be doing papers but my teacher gave me this to do...:frown:

I managed to do it :smile:

Thanks for your help

Quick Reply

Latest