The Student Room Group

Revision

I have 8 weeks until I start my GCSE’s and I have currently not started revising I am aiming for at least 4a’s and the rest b’s and c’s but in my current mocks I got 2 b’s in English and the rest c’s, I am really stressed and scared, and flash cards don’t help me, what do I do, is it too late how do I revise effectively
Original post by Davidsupreme
I have 8 weeks until I start my GCSE’s and I have currently not started revising I am aiming for at least 4a’s and the rest b’s and c’s but in my current mocks I got 2 b’s in English and the rest c’s, I am really stressed and scared, and flash cards don’t help me, what do I do, is it too late how do I revise effectively

not late, get revision guides - cgp preferably - and read them make notes, but start off with stuff you dont know

You got more time than i had. I literally had 3 weeks before my exams and i still got; 3 As, 4 Bs + 2 Cs.

You got time, so start molesting them past papers before its too late.
Reply 3
Do as much testing as possible. Flashcards may not work, but try other methods. Quizlet can be good? Or Seneca Learning does both testing and teaching - I find really effective as it's all exam board specific as well as being v clearly exlpained and laid out.
Also have you tried using mind maps? For essay subjects like english, history etc I find them good for organising my thoughts and coming up with essay plans around a topic..

I would recommend past papers, and practice questions especially for maths. but tbh GCSEs (at least when i did them two years ago) are just about remembering as much information as possible and regurgitating it so maybe try and read a page in a text book, or cgp guide then cover it and see how much you can remember by writing it out or repeating it in your head.
start with familiarising yourself with the content (make notes if you need) then doing practise questions all the way up to the exams.
You have plenty of time, as long as you pace yourself and stay motivated. a cheeky time table will help you out
Original post by Jang Gwangnam
You got more time than i had. I literally had 3 weeks before my exams and i still got; 3 As, 4 Bs + 2 Cs.

thanks so much mate any revision tips
thanks so much mate any revision tips

Pray to God - he will make a miracle happen. Just pray my brotha, just pray.

That and go over the text book (once at the very least), then molest the past papers that are available. If you find a topic you don't get then either ask a teacher, or watch youtube videos on the topic - make sure they're for your spec and exam board (otherwise you'll learn unnecessary sh*t).
Pray to God - he will make a miracle happen. Just pray my brotha, just pray.

That and go over the text book (once at the very least), then molest the past papers that are available. If you find a topic you don't get then either ask a teacher, or watch youtube videos on the topic - make sure they're for your spec and exam board (otherwise you'll learn unnecessary sh*t).
how much hours do you think is necessary
Original post by motivatemeplz
I would recommend past papers, and practice questions especially for maths. but tbh GCSEs (at least when i did them two years ago) are just about remembering as much information as possible and regurgitating it so maybe try and read a page in a text book, or cgp guide then cover it and see how much you can remember by writing it out or repeating it in your head.
start with familiarising yourself with the content (make notes if you need) then doing practise questions all the way up to the exams.
You have plenty of time, as long as you pace yourself and stay motivated. a cheeky time table will help you out
how many hours revision do you think is necessary
Original post by dreamfyre
not late, get revision guides - cgp preferably - and read them make notes, but start off with stuff you dont know
how many hours do u think is necessary

Are you them smart student though that only need to read a page once then know it already by heart?
Original post by loriliecox
Are you them smart student though that only need to read a page once then know it already by heart?

Both yes and no. I take about 5-10mins on each page to memorise and refresh my brain on the topic(s).

So typically i waste half the day just going though the textbook. Though at the end of the textbook season i know the stuff pretty well, so i molest the papers so that my knowledge is consolidated.
how much hours do you think is necessary

Till school finishes and Study leave begins - i say 2 hours max with 5min breaks every 45mins. Once study leave starts you should spend 1/3 of the day revising with breaks in between. Make sure to relax and go for a walk every now and then (it helps keep the mind fresh).
how many hours do u think is necessary

depends, what grade you're aiming for. If you read it make few notes, you should get a B. do some past papers
Both yes and no. I take about 5-10mins on each page to memorise and refresh my brain on the topic(s).

So typically i waste half the day just going though the textbook. Though at the end of the textbook season i know the stuff pretty well, so i molest the papers so that my knowledge is consolidated.

How do you usually use past papers? Do you answer them with your book first? and then try it again without a book? or
Read the topic on the book first and do past papers?
How do you usually use past papers? Do you answer them with your book first? and then try it again without a book? or

1) Read through the whole textbook
2) attempt the last year's paper -> mark -> get result
3) attempt again but with mark scheme nearby, so if i don't know or am unconfidant with my mental answer i can check asap.
4) keep attempting till i get A
5) start a new paper and repeat step 2-4.
6) before exam go through latest paper because in GCSE some of last year's questions are repeated and you can see a trend of what may and may not pop up
(edited 6 years ago)

It's vital you do step 2 so that you know which words you can't spell properly.

Btw i call this the Blitz method. It's not thorough, but it gets the job done.
(edited 6 years ago)
1) Read through the whole textbook
2) attempt the last year's paper -> mark -> get result
3) attempt again but with mark scheme nearby, so if i don't know or am unconfidant with my mental answer i can check asap.
4) keep attempting till i get A
5) start a new paper and repeat step 2-4.
6) before exam go through latest paper because in GCSE some of last year's questions are repeated and you can see a trend of what may and may not pop up/

This is really helpful. Thanks so much

Quick Reply

Latest