The Student Room Group

Exams and revision

When shall I start revision for actual exams??? My first set of mocks start soon and it feels like there is so much content already (only doing paper 1 for all sciences). I am planning to keep revising after my mocks but I am worried I am going to burn out. Any advice?
Reply 1
Pace yourself and get a revision timetable. Plan out how much revision you think you'll do per week and allocate a certain amount of time per subject (obviously spend more time on weaker subjects) and try and stick to it, if you find it too much, reduce the amount of hours you do weekly. Better to do fewer hours per week and be consistent than do more hours per week but burn out
Original post by hats879
When shall I start revision for actual exams??? My first set of mocks start soon and it feels like there is so much content already (only doing paper 1 for all sciences). I am planning to keep revising after my mocks but I am worried I am going to burn out. Any advice?

Revise at a leisurely pace and don't get bogged down by revision. You need to enjoy yourself as much as revise, so don't overdo it. Try to take the pressure and expectations of others off your mind too because that can weigh you down and impact mental health.
Original post by hats879

Hi @hats879

The above comments are spot on. Try to pace yourself so that you're doing productive revision sessions in balance with some fun stuff too.

When I was revising, I liked to plan a 'day off' or fun activity at some point during my week that was completely irrelevant to my revision so that I could make sure I was still doing other things besides studying. For example, if I was at school Monday - Friday, I would maybe plan to go to the cinema at the weekend and meet some friends on the Saturday and do no revision at all. I would find that because I was allowing myself time away from work to have fun or relax, I was less likely to procrastinate during the week, as I knew I was going to have some fun at the weekend.

Also, like most things 'consistency is key'. Try to do short bursts of focused revision instead of staring at a textbook for hours and feeling like you're getting nowhere. And try your best to make your revision fun! You're more likely to want to do it if it's something more exciting. I love art, so I used to make my revision very dependent on drawing diagrams and mindmaps.

Hope this helps!
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU

Quick Reply

Latest