The Student Room Group

Under too much pressure >:(

My GCSE’s are in less than two months now and my mom is constantly pressuring me to do more revision despite the fact that I am already doing around 3.5 hours a day and just want to unwind after a hard day, every day. She doesn’t seem to think I am revising enough even though on top of the revision I do at home I go to the after school revision sessions too and an hour in my free period Tuesday and Wednesday. So as you can tell I do a lot of revision. But she keeps saying “your friends are doing a lot more revision than you”. I don’t know if there is a single sentence that annoys me more than that (and this is a problem because I have anger issues and there are a lot of things that annoy me) because she doesn’t know a thing about what my friends are doing at home or how much they are revising. My anger has gotten to the point of telling my sister to jump off of a cliff and get impaled and I don’t think the stress is doing me too much good either. Any advice would be appreciated
Original post by Seb Bagley
My GCSE’s are in less than two months now and my mom is constantly pressuring me to do more revision despite the fact that I am already doing around 3.5 hours a day and just want to unwind after a hard day, every day. She doesn’t seem to think I am revising enough even though on top of the revision I do at home I go to the after school revision sessions too and an hour in my free period Tuesday and Wednesday. So as you can tell I do a lot of revision. But she keeps saying “your friends are doing a lot more revision than you”. I don’t know if there is a single sentence that annoys me more than that (and this is a problem because I have anger issues and there are a lot of things that annoy me) because she doesn’t know a thing about what my friends are doing at home or how much they are revising. My anger has gotten to the point of telling my sister to jump off of a cliff and get impaled and I don’t think the stress is doing me too much good either. Any advice would be appreciated

Mother's can be very annoying and some people understand that more than others. They know exactly what to say to you to make you mad and sometimes counting to 10 just won't cut it. Maybe if you have any written revision you can show her that to prove that you've been working loads or maybe limit yourself to 3 or 4 past paper questions a day so that she believes you have a study plan.
I understand how annoying these comments can be, especially when they don`t make sense! I`m sure you`re doing your best and it really doesn`t matter what others are doing.
At the end of the day, your mum only wants what is best for you so you need to convince her that taking breaks is as important as studying.
Show her this NHS page: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/coping-with-exam-stress/
It`s aimed at parents and specifically says that parents should not pressure their children and should leave enough time for sleeping, exercises and breaks in general.
If she is not convinced, maybe you could ask one of your good teachers to have a chat with her and explain that spending 24 hours a day studying will do more harm than good.

And hang in there! only a few weeks left! If things get too difficult and you feel really bad, you could have a chat with your GP. You`re not the only one in this situation and they will know how to help
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by louise672287
Mother's can be very annoying and some people understand that more than others. They know exactly what to say to you to make you mad and sometimes counting to 10 just won't cut it. Maybe if you have any written revision you can show her that to prove that you've been working loads or maybe limit yourself to 3 or 4 past paper questions a day so that she believes you have a study plan.

I have too much written revision to show her :smile: thanks for the advice I appreciate it
Reply 4
Original post by LarissaAlves
I understand how annoying these comments can be, especially when they don`t make sense! I`m sure you`re doing your best and it really doesn`t matter what others are doing.
At the end of the day, your mum only wants what is best for you so you need to convince her that taking breaks is as important as studying.
Show her this NHS page: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/coping-with-exam-stress/
It`s aimed at parents and specifically says that parents should not pressure their children and should leave enough time for sleeping, exercises and breaks in general.
If she is not convinced, maybe you could ask one of your good teachers to have a chat with her and explain that spending 24 hours a day studying will do more harm than good.

And hang in there! only a few weeks left! If things get too difficult and you feel really bad, you could have a chat with your GP. You`re not the only one in this situation and they will know how to help

Thank you :smile:
I have showed my mom the page and she is looking through it, I just hopes she recognises the point i am trying to get across to her.

Quick Reply

Latest