The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Unknown-99
Oh that's strange. Here in Scotland it just says "USE BLUE OR BLACK INK" on the front of the paper and the invigilator tells us not to use a gel pen. I think it would be very harsh and unfair for someone to lose marks over a scanning problem they should just mark them the old fashioned way with a pen and the paper in front of the marker.

if they cant mark it via computer, they will send out the paper copy to the marker.
using blue isn't the end of the world! And some are still visible during scanning. BUT black Biro is recommended
Pilot V7 Cartridge system, the ink dries really quick in like 5 secs and you can write really fast with it. I also fill it up with water when the ink almost runs out and still dries quickly!
Bic! All they way any bic pen
Original post by Mesopotamian.
As well as the scanning issue, it may be because students can accidentally smudge the writing if it hasn't dried yet which would make the paper hard to mark (just a thought).

Do you have any pen recommendations? I did RE early in year 10 but I somehow injured my hand by using a really bad bic pen. It was a very few painful months and my hands still haven't fully recovered. Do you know any that run smoothly, will be allowed in the exam and have a comfortable grip?
Original post by Ihatelife2
Do you have any pen recommendations? I did RE early in year 10 but I somehow injured my hand by using a really bad bic pen. It was a very few painful months and my hands still haven't fully recovered. Do you know any that run smoothly, will be allowed in the exam and have a comfortable grip?

Rollerball pens are usually much smoother to write with than ball point pens but are more expensive, don't last as long and can smudge. As far as I'm aware rollerball are allowed in the exam, and they're not the same as gel so should be able to be scanned.
I recently purchased these, haven't really tried them but they are retractable, have a rubber grip, claim to dry quicker and last longer than other rollerball pens and they have good reviews.
Pentel Energel Xm Retractable Triple Pack https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002G9TWJI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_H2eUAb8HP2F3S
Original post by JRimmer27
what is the best pen for writing essays?
i need to be able to comfortably write and so that my hand does not ache.

Thanks.

Try this rollerball one.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002G9TW..._H2eUAb8HP2F3S
I get my Pentel rollerball Pens and Pilot frixion pens and frixion highlighters from this eBay seller : hokejist76, very very cheaply priced and all the listings from this seller include mechanical pencils. Way cheaper than me
Buying them from supermarkets.

Latest