The Student Room Group

English degrees at uni

Hey! I’m considering English lit and Lang at uni because I ideally want to be a secondary school English teacher in the future. Was wondering if anyone happened to know what I’d have to do after uni with this degree? Would I be able to go straight for a job in a school, or do I have to do something education specific to get this sort of job? (Ie another uni course or college course?) or could I go into a school and get inwork training??? Please help ☺️☺️
Reply 1
Original post by Gem.rose
Hey! I’m considering English lit and Lang at uni because I ideally want to be a secondary school English teacher in the future. Was wondering if anyone happened to know what I’d have to do after uni with this degree? Would I be able to go straight for a job in a school, or do I have to do something education specific to get this sort of job? (Ie another uni course or college course?) or could I go into a school and get inwork training??? Please help ☺️☺️

Hi

You would need a teaching qualification - we offer the PGCE at the University of Northampton although that is focused on primary school teaching.
Michelle
Hi there,

Yeah, as the poster above mentions, if you are in England you need to do a one year PGCE course in English in order to teach. The Department of Education website is really informative for covering all the basics of this: https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending