The Student Room Group

Writing ps for English vs comparative lit?

Hiya,
I am a student going into year 13 and ive been planning my personal statement recently. I am interested in studying either comparative literature or english literature, but i know some unis dont offer comparative literature so i am thinking of applying for one of each course according to the uni. is this a good idea? would it be okay to use the same personal statement? any help is appreciated x
so i applied to five different unis for five different degrees (variations of english degrees but still different). and i used the same personal statement. ucas only allows you to use one personal statement per application! just make sure to include both of them in your statement
Reply 2
Original post by Starrytillymae
so i applied to five different unis for five different degrees (variations of english degrees but still different). and i used the same personal statement. ucas only allows you to use one personal statement per application! just make sure to include both of them in your statement

hi! thanks for the reply, good to know im not alone :P yeah i knew ucas only allows one but i wasnt sure if i would be able to integrate details of both courses into the one statement or if i would just have to write about one or abandon one of my course choices ! thanks again
no problem! this is more of a problem than you think lol. thankfully both are english related for you. one of my friends applied to five unis with wildly different degrees.

you could do one paragraph dedicated to each degree :smile: that's what I roughly did

good luck!!
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 4
aw yeah that sounds tough, hope everything worked out for them! thank you so much x :smile:
hi! omg i was just going through my reading list and the modules available for my degree (creative writing/english lit) and there are modules available called comparative literature😌 of course this may not be the case at all unis but it is quite a common module i have found out

just thought i'd let you know!!
Reply 6
hi - current comparative literature undergrad here. I applied to one English lit& French course in the mix of some complit ones under a ps that focussed fully on complit and it was fine. What I will say about applying for comparative literature is that at undergrad it's not a very common subject (as you are probably well aware by now!) so do your research and apply to ones that appeal to what you want on the course (such as a focus on Europe, a more global perspective, a focus on languages or whether you want to study joint honours). best of luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending