The Student Room Group

Alevel options

Is sociology considered a good alevel by universities?
Original post by emily14x

It's recognised as an A Level by all universities. I am not sure whether it's considered good, since it depends more on the specific department in my opinion.

If you intend to do a sociology degree, then I would doubt anyone would say it's a bad A Level. However, if you're going for something very academic at a top end uni with loads of compeititon such as medicine or physics, you might want to reconsider (or at least sift through all the entry requirements for the specific degree just to be very very sure).

As I don't know what your intentions are or what specific degree you intend to do, I would recommend checking the entry requirements first, and if you're not sure ask what the alumni of the specific uni and degree course have recommended.
Reply 2
I want to do law so I'm quite unsure whether to do English lit or sociology. I don't mind English lit but I think I would enjoy sociology more however I know that English lit is considered a stronger Alevel so I don't know which to choose.

Hard to give a general answer to it. For sociology studies, of course it is worth to take this at A levels.
I want to do law so I'm quite unsure whether to do English lit or sociology. I don't mind English lit but I think I would enjoy sociology more however I know that English lit is considered a stronger Alevel so I don't know which to choose.

Then that would depend on the individual university that you want to go to.

I know a second tier university where they accept students with sociology into LLBs so long you get the grades.
For places in the top tier universities, English Lit is probably the better choice.

The other thing you would need to bear in mind is out of the 2 A Levels, which one would you get the higher grade in. If you would get similar grades, then I would opt for the stronger A Level for applications to top unis. If you would do better in one A Level over the other, then you might want to consider doing the subject with the higher grade.
If you don't intend to go to an oversubscribed LLB at a top end uni and your grades are similar, then sociology is probably your more favoured choice.

Note: there is nothing stopping you from doing an extra A Level during gap year if you so wish. Having said that still, sociology is not a required subject, so you would still get into all the degree subjects that you would have done if you did English Lit instead of Sociology. The only minor difference is that you can get into some of the pickier universities and do English degrees with an English Lit A Level, although it's not strictly required for all English degrees at all other universities.

Having said that, I haven't (and would not consider) studied law, so I am not the best person to opine your UCAS application.
Reply 5
Sociology is a sensible, solid essay-based subject.
It would be accept by all Universities to meet their offer conditions - including as a valuable 3rd subject for Medicine.

Hi there

If you are interested in studying law, there are no set requirements in terms of subjects. I think that sociology is not a bad A level. If you are applying for law, the important thing is whether you get a good grades.

English for A levels is a good as it is essay based and gives you good basics. However, sociology is also essay based and would give you good knowledge of writing coursework. Therefore, I do not think it would put you at a disadvantage.

I think ultimately it depends on whether you are likely to achieve good grades in A levels. Try taking subjects that you are stronger at. (For myself, I did not take English for A levels, but managed to get into a law degree).

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 7
Original post by MindMax2000
Then that would depend on the individual university that you want to go to.

I know a second tier university where they accept students with sociology into LLBs so long you get the grades.
For places in the top tier universities, English Lit is probably the better choice.

The other thing you would need to bear in mind is out of the 2 A Levels, which one would you get the higher grade in. If you would get similar grades, then I would opt for the stronger A Level for applications to top unis. If you would do better in one A Level over the other, then you might want to consider doing the subject with the higher grade.
If you don't intend to go to an oversubscribed LLB at a top end uni and your grades are similar, then sociology is probably your more favoured choice.

Note: there is nothing stopping you from doing an extra A Level during gap year if you so wish. Having said that still, sociology is not a required subject, so you would still get into all the degree subjects that you would have done if you did English Lit instead of Sociology. The only minor difference is that you can get into some of the pickier universities and do English degrees with an English Lit A Level, although it's not strictly required for all English degrees at all other universities.

Having said that, I haven't (and would not consider) studied law, so I am not the best person to opine your UCAS application.

Ok thank you!
Reply 8
Original post by University of Kent
Hi there

If you are interested in studying law, there are no set requirements in terms of subjects. I think that sociology is not a bad A level. If you are applying for law, the important thing is whether you get a good grades.

English for A levels is a good as it is essay based and gives you good basics. However, sociology is also essay based and would give you good knowledge of writing coursework. Therefore, I do not think it would put you at a disadvantage.

I think ultimately it depends on whether you are likely to achieve good grades in A levels. Try taking subjects that you are stronger at. (For myself, I did not take English for A levels, but managed to get into a law degree).

I hope this helps.
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Thank you, this was very helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest