The Student Room Group

Feel like I’m not doing enough...

Hi everyone,
My first GCSE exam is 10th may and I have very little motivation to revise even though I am really panicking.
At the weekends I usually do 4 hours of revision a day but on weekdays I come home from school and I just feel so tired that I can’t bring myself to revise anything, when I can it’s usually only one hour.
The fact that I got decent grades in my mocks has really put me off revising as well...
Any advice? 😩
Watch youtube videos of people opening their GCSE results and failing / not getting the grades they wanted
Dont worry everyone has felt this was at some point during their GCSE'S my advice to you is to list down all the topics you're struggling with in each subject and plan to go through them over this holiday. For each topic you have covered do exam questions on it (im sure there are websites which do questions by topic maybe try Physicsandmathstutor). Once you have done all the exam questions start doing past papers religiously.Don't over work yourself and take breaks, also try to prioritise upcoming exams.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by bluesunboy
Dont worry everyone has felt this was at some point during their GCSE'S my advice to you is to list down all the topics you're struggling with in each subject and plan to go through them over this holiday. For each topic you have covered do exam questions on it (im sure there are websites which do questions by topic maybe try Physicsandmathstutor). Once you have done all the exam questions start doing past papers religiously.Don't over work yourself and take breaks, also try to prioritise upcoming exams.

Thank you, how much revision do you think I should be doing?
Reply 4
Original post by Bill Nye
Watch youtube videos of people opening their GCSE results and failing / not getting the grades they wanted

Lol, I’ll try that
I got the top grades and did 25 hour of revision a day. How else do you think people can permanently change their life forever by getting the top A and A* grades in ALL of their subjects? You need to have done a bare minimum of 100 hours a month in order to qualify for A*s. The other grade requirements are all on the Ofqual website. Probably too late now though, so guess it's C grades all round with only about 6 weeks left.

This was sarcasm (what can I say), do what you need to do, not what others are doing. Focus on exam technique and rapid memorisation.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by RedGiant
I got the top grades and did 25 hour of revision a day. How else do you think people can permanently change their life forever by getting the top A and A* grades in ALL of their subjects? You need to have done a bare minimum of 100 hours a month in order to qualify for A*s. The other grade requirements are

25 hours a day? You mean week, right?

Also you cannot say a 'bare minimum' as different people work differently.

I got several A*'s and more A's at GCSE with literally 0 revision. I looked at my book 1 hour before the exam.
Original post by Lozzylouise
Thank you, how much revision do you think I should be doing?

Honestly there shouldn't be a set time for how long you should revise for. You should make your self a realistic checklist for each day and plan to complete what ever is on the checklist no matter how long it takes.
Make sure you turn off your phone, and try and delete any social media. Dont stop revising if you feel unmotivated because every little bit of revision helps.
However, if you feel as if you have so much to learn I would recommened not making notes but watching you tube videos and doing past papers even if you cant answer them. Everytime you cant answer an exam question look at the mark scheme and memorise it. Write exam any exam questions which you have seen repaeted a lot on a seperate piece of paper and that should be your notes.
Dont compare yourself to your friends because they wont help you in the exams.
YOU CAN DO IT.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by bluesunboy
Honestly there shouldn't be a set time for how long you should revise for. You should make your self a realistic checklist for each day and plan to complete what ever is on the checklist no matter how long it takes.
Make sure you turn off your phone, and try and delete any social media. Dont stop revising if you feel unmotivated because every little bit of revision helps.
However, if you feel as if you have so much to learn I would recommened not making notes but watching you tube videos and doing past papers even if you cant answer them. Everytime you cant answer an exam question look at the mark scheme and memorise it. Write exam any exam questions which you have seen repaeted a lot on a seperate piece of paper and that should be your notes.
Dont compare yourself to your friends because they wont help you in the exams.
YOU CAN DO IT.

thanks, i'll try my best :smile:
Reply 9
Honestly i feel the same i panic every night but during the day i dont do anything i recommend starting with your weakest topics or subjects for me it works that way as i get bored when revising something im confident with and make super condensed notes on these then if you have time do practice papers. Personally I don’t time myself whilst revising but aim to finish topics or subjects. I hope you gain motivation (im still looking for motivation too)
Reply 10
I got the top grades and did 25 hour of revision a day. How else do you think people can permanently change their life forever by getting the top A and A* grades in ALL of their subjects? You need to have done a bare minimum of 100 hours a month in order to qualify for A*s. The other grade requirements are all on the Ofqual website. Probably too late now though, so guess it's C grades all round with only about 6 weeks left.

This was sarcasm btw, do what you need to do, not what others are doing. Focus on exam technique and rapid memorisation.

thanks, but there are only 24 hours in a day so how did you do 25??
i haven't only just started revising, i have been revising since the end of january. And my mock results were pretty good (i got 3 Bs, 2 As and 2 A*s) so i'm just going to try and keep on top of everything as well as i can and try and get the same grades in the real thing...
thanks, but there are only 24 hours in a day so how did you do 25??
i haven't only just started revising, i have been revising since the end of january. And my mock results were pretty good (i got 3 Bs, 2 As and 2 A*s) so i'm just going to try and keep on top of everything as well as i can and try and get the same grades in the real thing...

I stated "this was sarcasm"...

Sounds to me like you've got nothing to worry about then.
Reply 12
I stated "this was sarcasm"...
sorry, i didnt see that :smile:
Sounds to me like you've got nothing to worry about then.

yeah, but i'm still worried about some subjects, particularly the ones i got Bs on incase they fall any lower

This was sarcasm btw, do what you need to do, not what others are doing. Focus on exam technique and rapid memorisation.

Nah fam, I did 30 hours an hour of revision.
yeah, but i'm still worried about some subjects, particularly the ones i got Bs on incase they fall any lower

So you should have some good clear areas to revise. Try and work on your weaker areas, not the areas you know you can do (well). But always good to revise them now and again, to give yourself that confidence boost :wink:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 15
So you should have some good clear areas to revise. Try and work on your weaker areas, not the areas you know you can do (well).

thanks for the advice, i really appriciate it :smile:
thanks for the advice, i really appriciate it :smile:

No prob, good luck!
Reply 17
No prob, good luck!

thanks, i'll try my best :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending