The Student Room Group

How to ask out the *IT* guy

I (Gay M 16) like the most popular guy in our year (M 16). I have slight suspicions that he may not be completely straight. I think it is pretty obvious that I like him (his friends definitely know), so he would be crazy if he couldn't tell...

We have just finished school and are on study leave. The only way for me to ask him out would be over text.

Earlier, I sent him a selfie as Snapchat streaks, and he saved it to his camera roll. I don't know if this is to make fun of me... If I ask him out I'm worried that I'll make a fool out of myself.

I've liked him on-and-off for about 3 years and we have a good relationship (albeit not good enough to class us as friends). He can be really kind and sweet, but sometimes when he's with his friends (who are mainly all idiots), he can become an idiot too.

What do I do? Should I try and ask him out? Or do I suppress my feelings?
Original post by Anonymous
I (Gay M 16) like the most popular guy in our year (M 16). I have slight suspicions that he may not be completely straight. I think it is pretty obvious that I like him (his friends definitely know), so he would be crazy if he couldn't tell...

We have just finished school and are on study leave. The only way for me to ask him out would be over text.

Earlier, I sent him a selfie as Snapchat streaks, and he saved it to his camera roll. I don't know if this is to make fun of me... If I ask him out I'm worried that I'll make a fool out of myself.

I've liked him on-and-off for about 3 years and we have a good relationship (albeit not good enough to class us as friends). He can be really kind and sweet, but sometimes when he's with his friends (who are mainly all idiots), he can become an idiot too.

What do I do? Should I try and ask him out? Or do I suppress my feelings?

If you have a good relationship, talk to him a bit more outside of school and see if he’s receptive to the conversation. If everyone knows you’re gay and his friends have noticed the signs, this will let him know what’s up. If he’s completely against it, it’s likely he’ll say something about it, and then that’s that. If not interested, any conversations will be lacking. However, if you can maintain great conversations and he is interested in getting to know you better, I would take that as a sign to pursue him.

Don’t ask him out as things are. You are very likely to be disappointed.
Reply 2
Original post by SagaciousSag
If you have a good relationship, talk to him a bit more outside of school and see if he’s receptive to the conversation. If everyone knows you’re gay and his friends have noticed the signs, this will let him know what’s up. If he’s completely against it, it’s likely he’ll say something about it, and then that’s that. If not interested, any conversations will be lacking. However, if you can maintain great conversations and he is interested in getting to know you better, I would take that as a sign to pursue him.

Don’t ask him out as things are. You are very likely to be disappointed.

We usually don't really talk - how am I supposed to start a conversation with him: I wouldn't even know what to talk about!
We usually don't really talk - how am I supposed to start a conversation with him: I wouldn't even know what to talk about!

I’d say make more of an effort to talk to him in person before exams that you’re both doing. If you share any classes, perhaps ask then how revision is going and how you feel about it. If you’re good at a subject that he’s doing, ask him if he wants help with anything or quick fire questions. If that goes well for a few exams, then you could try messaging him afterwards if you don’t see him and asking how it went.

If you think you’re being cringey or embarrassing, remember that you’re 16 and school is the time to embarrass yourself. There won’t be dire consequences if you say the wrong thing now and then. The main thing is trying and putting in the effort.
Reply 4
I’d say make more of an effort to talk to him in person before exams that you’re both doing. If you share any classes, perhaps ask then how revision is going and how you feel about it. If you’re good at a subject that he’s doing, ask him if he wants help with anything or quick fire questions. If that goes well for a few exams, then you could try messaging him afterwards if you don’t see him and asking how it went.

If you think you’re being cringey or embarrassing, remember that you’re 16 and school is the time to embarrass yourself. There won’t be dire consequences if you say the wrong thing now and then. The main thing is trying and putting in the effort.

I have previously asked if he wanted to spend time as I can help him with some subjects, but he declined my offer. I can't really talk to him in school because 1) he's always with his friends and 2) i doubt I'll see him now due to exams
I have previously asked if he wanted to spend time as I can help him with some subjects, but he declined my offer. I can't really talk to him in school because 1) he's always with his friends and 2) i doubt I'll see him now due to exams

Well, if you see him, say hi. If you see him alone, try and talk to him. If not, you might just have to leave it. Are you going to the same sixth form/college? If so, that is probably a better time to try. If not, you might just have to cut your losses.
Reply 6
Well, if you see him, say hi. If you see him alone, try and talk to him. If not, you might just have to leave it. Are you going to the same sixth form/college? If so, that is probably a better time to try. If not, you might just have to cut your losses.

We both want to stay on for sixth form. I'm fairly certain that I'll get the grades, but I'm scared that he might not :frown:
We both want to stay on for sixth form. I'm fairly certain that I'll get the grades, but I'm scared that he might not :frown:

I suppose you’ll have to wait and see how things play out. What I would suggest is putting this aside for the next 5 weeks and making sure you revise well for your own exams. It’s easy to spend hours getting lost in hypothetical situations to distract yourself, but it is quite important.

If it doesn’t work out, there’ll always be someone else in future. And if it does, it does! You might not have control over this, but you do have control over your results.

Good luck in your exams!
Reply 8
I suppose you’ll have to wait and see how things play out. What I would suggest is putting this aside for the next 5 weeks and making sure you revise well for your own exams. It’s easy to spend hours getting lost in hypothetical situations to distract yourself, but it is quite important.

If it doesn’t work out, there’ll always be someone else in future. And if it does, it does! You might not have control over this, but you do have control over your results.

Good luck in your exams!

Thanks <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending