The Student Room Group

Romeo and Juliet Revision Help

Any tips on how to revise Romeo and Juliet efficiently? Which themes and characters should one revise and make notes on? Which quotes to remember?

I am not sure how to revise this as literally anything could come up, after looking at some practice exam questions online. It would be great to hear how others are revising or have revsised previously. Thanks for the help.
Reply 1
When I studied it I split it into three (character, theme and act)

For act I looked at some important one eg act one scene 1 and act 5 scene 2/3 as they are the start and end and a lot happens in them. Look for scenes with a lot of techniques in them so you can talk about them more. And be careful of the question a lot of the time they put the sentence make reference to the play as a whole. If they say this you can’t just talk about the single act/ scene you have to mention the rest of the play.

For character your best just to look at Romeo, Juliet and mercuric as they are the main ones. The nurse and friar Lawrence are good if you have time. Look at how these characters develops from start to finish and pick quotes throughout.

In this play a lot of themes go together like light and dark. Romeo always references the sun and Juliet the moon. If you study the themes in twos you have more to talk about. The best pair is love and hate. It balances the play. If you go through and highlight ever line to do with hate then every line to do with love you will find that they go hand in hand a lot. Also if a scene has a lot of hate the next one is usually one of love. ( “my only love sprung from my only hate “)

For quotes don’t pick huge ones they don’t really matter and there hard to remember just pick simple ones that get your point across.

What ever you end up writing about make sure to mention techniques used. I always ended paragraphs with how the audience felt as well.

Hope this was helpful.
These are great tips!!

What exam boards do you do? A free Edexcel Romeo and Juliet course has literally been launched today! https://app.senecalearning.com/classroom/course/649abc29-a6b3-4f28-a8c0-561b08f28668/section/4be2a1c4-154f-4bd1-9fb3-e3c6b6b3dc16

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending