The Student Room Group

Germophobe

Anyone experienced this, i never had an issue but now i have contamination issues and iy is stopping me from doing everyday things.
Original post by Hipe1116
Anyone experienced this, i never had an issue but now i have contamination issues and iy is stopping me from doing everyday things.

Moved to health. Also, please see your GP if it is severe enough to affect daily life. They can refer you for treatment and help you recover before it becomes an even more serious issue.
Reply 2
Original post by Hipe1116

I found it became an issue for me as my life became more stressful. What should have been a health respect for hygiene became a bit more obsessive and a frustration to me.
My general rule is if something gets to a point it is bothering you, get support. GP is a good call cos they have loads of advice and info they can give or knowledge on who else can help.
If you do feel like maybe your mental health could be better you might like to consider counselling- can be accessed through school or GP.
Health anxiety is a totally legit thing. I have it and I'm currently having counselling for it. If it's affecting your daily life I'd highly recommend going to your GP and asking to get referred to a counselling service.
Reply 4
I have but the lists are long and now i have juat started over the phone cbt. But it is just all so overwhelming.
Reply 5
Hi i have already been. I am doing cbt but it seems it will be a lengthy process and i am afraid it will take too long.
slightly more OCD than ever before but thankfully it hasn't reached unbearable levels. i just clean up and wash my hands more but i'm not scared of germs, just don't like my hands feeling dirty
Reply 7
Original post by Kindred
I found it became an issue for me as my life became more stressful. What should have been a health respect for hygiene became a bit more obsessive and a frustration to me.
My general rule is if something gets to a point it is bothering you, get support. GP is a good call cos they have loads of advice and info they can give or knowledge on who else can help.
If you do feel like maybe your mental health could be better you might like to consider counselling- can be accessed through school or GP.

Thank you, yes this happened after a very stressful few years, single parent, working, studying, relationship breakdown and my mum becoming very sick. The hygiene has become an issue, i see the germ in everything and it is annoying me as it causes me to worry and not sleep properly and function properly when previously it was never an issue.

Have only been offered cbt and then if that does not work counselling howeve rthe longer i wait for help the more you wait the worse it seems to get and this is worrying me as i need to get back to normal as soon as possible.
Reply 8
Original post by optimusfelix
Health anxiety is a totally legit thing. I have it and I'm currently having counselling for it. If it's affecting your daily life I'd highly recommend going to your GP and asking to get referred to a counselling service.

Hi thank you for sharing. Have you found it helpful?

I know it is but it is such a load to carry and it takes so much joy out of living it is annoying.
Reply 9
Original post by DrawTheLine
Moved to health. Also, please see your GP if it is severe enough to affect daily life. They can refer you for treatment and help you recover before it becomes an even more serious issue.

Thank you i have but the waiting lists are long and it seems to take ages to get any help.

Quick Reply

Latest