The Student Room Group

Cambridge

I've got an offer from Cambridge for 3 A*s, how likely is it I'll still get in if I get an A or two?
Original post by CrookedRainEtc
I've got an offer from Cambridge for 3 A*s, how likely is it I'll still get in if I get an A or two?

Depends on a load of different factors and sadly none of us has a crystal ball. Work your hardest but bear in mind that Cambridge is usually over subscribed so if you do miss your offer you most likely won't be accepted as there will plenty of others who don't.
As your offer appears to be above the typical offer (which I think is A*A*A/A*AA STEM/Arts) if you missed your offer but meet the typical offer you'd likely be placed into the summer pool where another college might take you. This isn't guarenteed though
It seems to be that they occasionally have a slight leeway for 'near-misses' (e.g. if you were to get A*A*A and the A was a few UMS off an A*), but this varies college to college and is probably more unlikely than likely.

Perhaps @Doonesbury will have a more reliable answer.
Reply 4
I am only 16 but from hearing from others (and watching youtubers that go to Cambridge) this is a bit rare. It also kind of depends on which course you have applied for.
Original post by CrookedRainEtc

As @alleycat393 said, it’d depend on various things : in which subject and how much you miss it by, how many other offer holders miss their offer and how, etc. etc.
They always give out a little more offers than the number of places they actually have because some bound to miss offer or decide to go somewhere else.
So it’d be those factors they look at after A-level result day in August to choose which ones to pick up and which ones to let go. (Offers holders on other qualification who miss their offer will be looked at then too)

So until then, even the admission tutor can tell you what happens in the event.

Good luck with achieving the offer. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending