The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Know Your Enemy
They don't have a choice as far as I know. I just wanted the opinions of people on my distance because as we all know (and how it's been stated in a few replies) attitudes to exercise are changing and nobody really walks 2 miles anymore.

ikr... that is why there are so many overweight people in this country. they only walk from the TV couch to the fridge each day.
Original post by the bear
ikr... that is why there are so many overweight people in this country. they only walk from the TV couch to the fridge each day.

Idk why but that reply came across as funny to me when it's really not supposed to be.
(edited 6 years ago)
Lol no. My family never had a car. Grown up hoofing it about
Reply 23
If it's not a least an hour long it's not really a big deal, honestly.
Original post by CoolCavy
Lol no. My family never had a car. Grown up hoofing it about

it's easy for you quadrupeds.... we only have 2 legs :emo:
Original post by the bear
it's easy for you quadrupeds.... we only have 2 legs :emo:

But my legs are very tiny :frown:
I don't see it as too long. I used to walk about 1 mile to my secondary school, so 2 miles a day 5 days a week 10 miles a week.

I can easily handle the 1 mile distance so I would assume I can handle 2 or 3 miles. (I also do about 4 miles a day 5 days a week on my elliptical machine so I think I could handle it far easier now than when I was at secondary school.) I guess if you suddenly had to walk that far from basically walking a really small distance then it would be hard at first, but I feel it is worth it since you are getting some good exercise in whilst going into school.
Ah right, apologies. And I agree tbh.
Original post by monkeyman0121
I don't see it as too long. I used to walk about 1 mile to my secondary school, so 2 miles a day 5 days a week 10 miles a week.

I can easily handle the 1 mile distance so I would assume I can handle 2 or 3 miles. (I also do about 4 miles a day 5 days a week on my elliptical machine so I think I could handle it far easier now than when I was at secondary school.) I guess if you suddenly had to walk that far from basically walking a really small distance then it would be hard at first, but I feel it is worth it since you are getting some good exercise in whilst going into school.

Yeah. I've been walking it since September 2016 and it was a bit gruelling at first but obviously I've since grown accustomed to the distance.
My walk to work is two miles so I don't think it's so long but then I m stood up for eight and a half hours too.
2 miles is not a long distance to walk. That people consider it long goes along way to explaining why we have so many fatties living sedentary lifestyles.
Original post by Sulfolobus
2 miles is not a long distance to walk. That people consider it long goes along way to explaining why we have so many fatties living sedentary lifestyles.

As stated in another reply, I consider it long because people don't really walk that distance anymore...not that I know of in person.
True. But if nobody else walks it, I can't compare the time it takes me to how long it takes them, etc. But no, 500m to a mile isn't far. As for the other factors mentioned, I get a bit out of breath when walking uphill but not like severely gasping for energy or anything.
no, its the length of a normal dog-walk, or a small country stroll..

my walk to school was around 1.8 miles back when I was in sixthform. Honestly it was amazing. 3.6 miles of guarenteed walking (and quick walking) is very goood and healthy for you. Especially as for me it was all down hill on the way there, and then a really steep up-hill on the way back.

Looking back I am glad it was that way - It was the most healthy time of my life. These days my commute to work is a 300m walk. I try and purposly make it longer just to be more healthy, but often is to easy to be lazy and just go straight there.
That's a really long walk! I'd never walk so far.
Reply 35
Nah, I walk that from station to campus and back again every time I'm in work.
That's really not that far. 10 miles would be quite a distance to walk.
Personally, I don't think 2 miles is much. My school is about 3.5 miles from my house and I didn't consider this to be much either, though i do cycle rather than walk.
A brisk 40 minute is more than sufficient which rounds out to 2 miles.Glenn at talkingover.org
No I wouldn't.
Currently for my daily exercise I'm walking 🚶*♂️ at least 5, miles a day, across country terrain.

Latest