The Student Room Group

Bristol, Exeter, or Lancaster for my last choice?

I am an international IB student wanting to apply for computer science.

My current list is
UCL
King's college
Southampton
durham

please help me choose between Bristol, Exeter, or Lancaster for my fifth school choice in UCAS, I would happily answer any questions that's needed

I have a list of pro and con but it seems like I can't put it here because there's a limit on words or something
(edited 5 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This depends on your predicted HL grades - and what each of those Unis are asking for.
You need to ensure that you have at least one choice that is below your predicted grades.

You also need to check the course content for each of these final choices - for all years of the course.
Which optional units would you choose if you went there? Also, for CS, a placement year is important - it will add enormously to your graduate CV and give you context for the rest of your degree.
Original post by BangPitung

My current list is
UCL
King's college
Southampton
durham

please help me choose between Bristol, Exeter, or Lancaster for my fifth school choice in UCAS, I would happily answer any questions that's needed

I have a list of pro and con but it seems like I can't put it here because there's a limit on words or something

Lancaster is likely to offer slightly lower grades than Bristol or Exeter and might be good as a 5th option given your others are already very competitive. However you need to look at the modules offered and also the type of university and location you are looking at.
Reply 3
Original post by swanseajack1
Lancaster is likely to offer slightly lower grades than Bristol or Exeter and might be good as a 5th option given your others are already very competitive. However you need to look at the modules offered and also the type of university and location you are looking at.

For modules/academic, bristol > Exeter > Lancaster
Location, Lancaster > exeter > bristol
Yeah, I completely realize that, I cares most about academic and reputation though so I'm still thinking on whether it's good to be a bit risky with bristol, be safe with Lancaster, or in the middle with Exeter. How good the CS in Exeter though? I keep getting conflicted information
Yeah, I completely realize that, I cares most about academic and reputation though so I'm still thinking on whether it's good to be a bit risky with bristol, be safe with Lancaster, or in the middle with Exeter. How good the CS in Exeter though? I keep getting conflicted information

Any difference between these universities will me minute. It isnt a basis for choosing universities. There is hardly any difference between the top 20 or so and there are just a few places between them all based on the Complete University Guide. Forget rankings and league tables. They wont tell you whether you will enjoy and be happy. The happier you are the better degree you will get and that is the main issue not some superficial basis.
Reply 5
Lancaster is like a little self-contained village, it really is. It's also handy for the beautiful Lake District National Park. But it is quite noisy from being next to a motorway and a bus-ride away from the nearest town. Which is OK in the first year when you live on campus, but if you want to move out it's a bus ride TO campus every morning when you have lectures.
Reply 6
Original post by McGinger
This depends on your predicted HL grades - and what each of those Unis are asking for.
You need to ensure that you have at least one choice that is below your predicted grades.

You also need to check the course content for each of these final choices - for all years of the course.
Which optional units would you choose if you went there? Also, for CS, a placement year is important - it will add enormously to your graduate CV and give you context for the rest of your degree.

HL 7777 and predicted 43 (5 in SL English A lang lit).

Bristol ask 38 with 18 HL but 7 in math,
Exeter ask 36 666,
Lancaster ask 36 16 HL but most likely lower because I took HL math AI and computer science.

For course it's bristol > Exeter > Lancaster. I believe they all have placement year
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Artjen
Lancaster is like a little self-contained village, it really is. It's also handy for the beautiful Lake District National Park. But it is quite noisy from being next to a motorway and a bus-ride away from the nearest town. Which is OK in the first year when you live on campus, but if you want to move out it's a bus ride TO campus every morning when you have lectures.

How about the other universities? I am fine with living in "boring" or "village" kind of place, I like to be in a quiet place where I can study peacefully. Never ride a bus because it's not really a thing here so sadly will have to learn how to coordinate that
Reply 8

Avoid Bristol unless you want to end up in halls in Wales! Yes, seriously ... no-one in my school is applying there now.

Which of the 4 you've chosen have a year in industry?
Reply 9
How about the other universities? I am fine with living in "boring" or "village" kind of place, I like to be in a quiet place where I can study peacefully. Never ride a bus because it's not really a thing here so sadly will have to learn how to coordinate that

Bath - smaller Uni, smaller quieter place, excellent for Comp Sci, and has probably the best placement system of all UK Unis.

My current list is
UCL
King's college
Southampton
durham

Hi there,

I think you could consider the grade requirements for your proposed course. Most courses at Lancaster require an ABB but it may depend on the course.

You should also have a look at the course page and the modules they have to offer. Some universities offer some very niche modules that you wouldn't find elsewhere, and some may also have compulsory modules that you may not find enjoyable or useful.

You could also try talking to students studying the same course as you to get a better idea of how it would be for you.

I would also recommend attending an open day or having a look at the different type of Universities. Lancaster for example is a campus university and may be a bit different from the others one your list.

I've included a link to the LU Ask A Student page, there you can find someone studying your course to ask them more specific questions.

[url=https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/chat/]https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/chat/]https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/chat/

Best,
Glory,
Lancaster University Ambassador.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 11
Original post by McGinger
Bath - smaller Uni, smaller quieter place, excellent for Comp Sci, and has probably the best placement system of all UK Unis.

I just checked, it's a good university but Its requirements is even higher than Bristol. Bristol is already a bit risky for me, I am not sure about taking another even higher risk with bath, unless you suggest I change one of the university in my list
Reply 12
Original post by Muttley79
Avoid Bristol unless you want to end up in halls in Wales! Yes, seriously ... no-one in my school is applying there now.

Which of the 4 you've chosen have a year in industry?

Wow, is it really that bad? Can you tell me more about it and more advice on which university should I have for my fifth one? Or potentially change if you believe them to be incredibly bad choice?
Reply 13
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi there,

I think you could consider the grade requirements for your proposed course. Most courses at Lancaster require an ABB but it may depend on the course.

You should also have a look at the course page and the modules they have to offer. Some universities offer some very niche modules that you wouldn't find elsewhere, and some may also have compulsory modules that you may not find enjoyable or useful.

You could also try talking to students studying the same course as you to get a better idea of how it would be for you.

I would also recommend attending an open day or having a look at the different type of Universities. Lancaster for example is a campus university and may be a bit different from the others one your list.

I've included a link to the LU Ask A Student page, there you can find someone studying your course to ask them more specific questions.

[url=https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/chat/]https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/chat/]https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/chat/

Best,
Glory,
Lancaster University Ambassador.

Hello there, I am really happy to see your reply

Can you tell me more about how open day work? I am still new to UCAS and UK process or universities in general since this wasn't my plan before

Lancaster for computer science ask for total IB score 36 16 HL but Lancaster also said it's most likely reduced if I took HL math or computer science, which I have both. Can I ask, truthfully, no tip-toe around, how likely will Lancaster give unconditional offer? not conditional-unconditinal. Because I think that would be the biggest reason/motivation for me to choose Lancaster compared to the other, if it will provide that safety net.

For reference, my prediction are IB HL 7777 with 43 total points
(edited 5 months ago)
Wow, is it really that bad? Can you tell me more about it and more advice on which university should I have for my fifth one? Or potentially change if you believe them to be incredibly bad choice?

Here is an article and it has happened in previous years as well. Bristol as a city has accommodation issues every year like some others.

Bristol Uni is offering incoming first year students the option to live in a new student accommodation village located in Newport, Wales, 30 miles away from the main campus.
Beginning as a temporary answer to the oversubscription of student accomodation in 2019, the Newport Student Village has become a permanent option for freshers choosing their halls of residence.
Described as a “modern accommodation” that is close to “shops, supermarkets, bars and restaurants”, Newport will house 137 students with rent starting at around £2000 cheaper than the equivalent accomodation in Bristol city centre.
There are three types of room on offer, all self-catered with an en-suite. The basic room comes in at £150 a week compared to an en-suite in Hiatt Baker which will set you back £203.

Reply 15
Here is an article and it has happened in previous years as well. Bristol as a city has accommodation issues every year like some others.

Bristol Uni is offering incoming first year students the option to live in a new student accommodation village located in Newport, Wales, 30 miles away from the main campus.
Beginning as a temporary answer to the oversubscription of student accomodation in 2019, the Newport Student Village has become a permanent option for freshers choosing their halls of residence.
Described as a “modern accommodation” that is close to “shops, supermarkets, bars and restaurants”, Newport will house 137 students with rent starting at around £2000 cheaper than the equivalent accomodation in Bristol city centre.
There are three types of room on offer, all self-catered with an en-suite. The basic room comes in at £150 a week compared to an en-suite in Hiatt Baker which will set you back £203.

30 miles away for university accomodations???

I lived 20 km away from my school and I thought that's already bad, how are you surviving 30 miles away in almost felt like another country and supposed to be "student accomodations". I am hoping this doesn't happen with other university, one reason why I strike queen Mary off my list was because the representative said that if I choose it as my insurance I wouldn't get an accomodations. This is just as bad.

Can you send the link to the article and help on advice on what university should I replace bristol with?

Thank you!
Lancaster has plenty of accommodation and it is very cheap compared to a lot of unis. Most students live on campus first year and then move into private lets in town for 2nd/3rd years and hop on the bus back to campus for lectures (there are bus passes available for this). If you didn't want to live in town, it is likely that you could stay on campus. The campus isn't noisy.
30 miles away for university accomodations???

I lived 20 km away from my school and I thought that's already bad, how are you surviving 30 miles away in almost felt like another country and supposed to be "student accomodations". I am hoping this doesn't happen with other university, one reason why I strike queen Mary off my list was because the representative said that if I choose it as my insurance I wouldn't get an accomodations. This is just as bad.

Can you send the link to the article and help on advice on what university should I replace bristol with?

Thank you!

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=32ea4bd4f93badf0JmltdHM9MTcwMDc4NDAwMCZpZ3VpZD0zNjQzYjFiYS0yNzM0LTZlMzItMWRhNy1hMWNlMjYxMzZmYTkmaW5zaWQ9NTI4Nw&ptn=3&ver=2&hsh=3&fclid=3643b1ba-2734-6e32-1da7-a1ce26136fa9&psq=bristol+students+in+newport&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly90aGV0YWIuY29tL3VrL2JyaXN0b2wvMjAyMy8wOC8wMi9icmlzdG9sLXVuaS10by1ob3VzZS1zdHVkZW50cy1pbi13YWxlcy1hcy1wYXJ0LW9mLWFmZm9yZGFibGUtaG91c2luZy1zY2hlbWUtNTYwNjU&ntb=1

There is a general shortage of student accommodation in Bristol and this has been the case for several years. Accommodation is also very expensive there and even some of the halls in Bristol are a bus ride away. London and Manchester also have accommodation issues. Where you should apply only you can decide. I believe Durham and Exeter has some problems last yar but not as bad as it has been in Bristol.
There is a general shortage of student accommodation in Bristol and this has been the case for several years. Accommodation is also very expensive there and even some of the halls in Bristol are a bus ride away. London and Manchester also have accommodation issues. Where you should apply only you can decide. I believe Durham and Exeter has some problems last yar but not as bad as it has been in Bristol.

As far as recommending universities it is impossible as nobody knows more than 1 university well and what is one persons like is anothers dislike. There is a comment elsewhere on here suggesting Exeter will have CS n clearing. That hasnt been the case and I doubt it will although it may for International students and that will be the case for others who attract international stiudents in clearing due to higher fees.

Also there are comments on here from somebody who went to Exeter and didnt like it. For every person who disliked it there will be many who enjoyed the experience. Everyone is different and will look for different things.

Just to try and give you some advice to help you.

Kings and UCL are in London which is massive and very impersonal. Some like the big city vibe whilst other dont. It is extremely expensive so maybe you should consider that.

Bristol is a mid sized city also quite expensive with much of the accommodation away from the university.

Southampton is smaller and I really dont know much about it. I gather it is a campus university out of town, As with all campus universities most students will stay on campus for the first year and live out and travel in for future years.

Exeter is also a campus university a walk away from the city. Like others the campus has a gym, shop, pub and club amongst other things. It is within walking distance of the city and most of the second and third years accommodation. It is a small city and quite expensive to live in.

Durham is a bit different to the ones listed. It is a small historic city and you are placed in colleges rather than on campuses. You stay there for the first year and out for subsequent years. Being a small city it is very walkable. You wont be staying on campus and are placed in 1 of several colleges so could be 5 minutes or 20 minutes way.

Lancaster is a campus university like Exeter but is several miles out of the city. You will stay on campus for the first year and usually off campus afterwards. You will probably need to bus in after the first year.

Bath is again a small beautiful city and the campus is some distance up a hill from the city. First years usually live on campus and subsequent years in houses around the city. Due to the nature of the hill I suspect you will end up busing in,

I hope this will help you decide. The key is to go where you feel happiest and where the course suits you best. Forget reputation and league tables. They wont help if you are miserable somewhere. They are useful for looking at universities but the difference in the top 20 is marginable.

I attach the Complete university computer science table for guidance.

https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings/computer-science

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending