The Student Room Group

Struggling to pick a date for my UKCAT and BMAT

I want to apply to UCL which requires the BMAT, but I would like to take it in the first cycle (1st september) so I know my result before applying to uni. I've heard the BMAT takes around 4 weeks of prep (?)

However, I also need to take the UKCAT as well which I intend to take during the summer holidays, and will take around 6 weeks of prep.

I finish school on the 17 July and from then on plan to revise pretty much all day everyday up until the day of testing (with breaks etc obviously).

If I sit the UKCAT on around August the 9th and start as soon as school finishes I'll have about 3 and a half weeks to do solid all day day revision, but I'm not sure if this is enough time.

It will also give me 3 weeks to prepare for the BMAT, which again, I'm not sure is enough.

Really need help here, thanks :smile:
BMAT is in october - that is the only one
Reply 2
Original post by DrXavier
BMAT is in october - that is the only one

There is a second one (that was introduced last yeaew at the beginning of September but it is available at fewer centres.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Compost
There is a second one that was introduced last year at the beginning of September but it is available at fweer centres.

oh wow I had no idea. I stand corrected!
I would recommend going for the October BMAT. For UKCAT I would recommend doing it a week before you go back to school, or the first week back. That gives you plenty of time to prepare.
Original post by fruitshoot
I would recommend going for the October BMAT. For UKCAT I would recommend doing it a week before you go back to school, or the first week back. That gives you plenty of time to prepare.

Yeah thats true, but I would like my BMAT result before applying for uni
UKCAT does NOT need 6 weeks prep. 4 weeks should really be the maximum (most only do 2 weeks and come out with very good scores).

BMAT needs 4 weeks prep though in order to revise the GCSE content (especially the Physics).

I would recommend doing the October BMAT so you can concentrate on UKCAT and applying to a max of 2 BMAT unis.
I am also struggling to choose the date . I wanted around August but I have summer school and Nuffield Research( I need to do a write up project) so im screwed
Original post by GrandMedic
UKCAT does NOT need 6 weeks prep. 4 weeks should really be the maximum (most only do 2 weeks and come out with very good scores).

BMAT needs 4 weeks prep though in order to revise the GCSE content (especially the Physics).

I would recommend doing the October BMAT so you can concentrate on UKCAT and applying to a max of 2 BMAT unis.

Im thinking of sticking to my plan, but starting to look over physics now since im not under much stress from school. thoughts?
Have you finished all your first year exams? When have you booked your UKCAT for?

This time last year, I concentrated on my first year exams (Chem and Bio were linear but Maths and Further Maths still had AS). Once they were done, I went on holiday. When I came back I did 2 weeks of hospital work experience which I organised earlier in the year. That left a month before my UKCAT (which in truth was actually 2 weeks of prep as I may or may not have procrastinated). Returned to college and then started BMAT prep in October (exam was Nov 2nd).

Hope my life story helps ^.
Have you finished all your first year exams? When have you booked your UKCAT for?

This time last year, I concentrated on my first year exams (Chem and Bio were linear but Maths and Further Maths still had AS). Once they were done, I went on holiday. When I came back I did 2 weeks of hospital work experience which I organised earlier in the year. That left a month before my UKCAT (which in truth was actually 2 weeks of prep as I may or may not have procrastinated). Returned to college and then started BMAT prep in October (exam was Nov 2nd).

Hope my life story helps ^.

My end of year exams are in the beginning on June and I finish school on the 17th July. I'm not doing AS exams, just mocks.
I'm thinking about the 9th August, so from 17th July - 9th august i revise ukcat then 10th august-1st September I revise BMAT as I want to take the early exam, so I know my result before applying.

I've got my hospital w/e (nearly) sorted for 18th June - 22nd June.

Do you think this is a good idea?
Seems like you've got it worked out. As long as you don't plan on applying to Oxford. The mocks you do decide your predicteds though right? So make sure you focus on those.

Also be aware you might not get much of a summer (which was important for me) if you're planning to do both the UKCAT and BMAT by September.
Seems like you've got it worked out. As long as you don't plan on applying to Oxford. The mocks you do decide your predicteds though right? So make sure you focus on those.

Also be aware you might not get much of a summer (which was important for me) if you're planning to do both the UKCAT and BMAT by September.

Yeah, they mainly decide my predicted grades, so I'll make sure I revise for them. I dont about the summer thing, i dont have much of a social life. thanks for the advice mate 😊
Hi All,

I booked my UKCAT for the start of July - pretty much the first day. I've already finished my year 12 exams so I know what my predicted grades will be. I have my driving test at half term, so I figure that gives me a month for UKCAT prep and start to write my PS. Then UKCAT, so I'll know my score before the end of term. First two weeks of the holiday I have some work experience set up, so that will give me about a month to make decisions on where to apply with my profile, consider if I want/need to take the BMAT, finish up my PS, and actually have some time to chill before year 13.

Friends think I'm crazy to take the UKCAT so early as most of them are planning to take it in August, but my school wants our UCAS forms done by 10/9 and I want to have all the information so I can decide where to apply for.
I did my UKCAT relatively early about 3 weeks after I finished my mocks so maybe late July/early august. I would really really really recommend doing it 'early'. My first reason is that your brain stays in the same frame of working hard, so you don't holiday, and then have to get back into it. Also if you do it early, it allows you to actually have a holiday, rather than stressing about it for the whole of summer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending