The Student Room Group

As level maths c3

I tried to do the c) part of this question and the answer of mine turned out be wrong according to the mark scheme. What I did first was differentiate the original formula giving me the rate which was -20e^-0.05-1 and subbed in 50 which gave me -0.604. Where did I go wrong?
Reply 1
Original post by Zain786H

I tried to do the c) part of this question and the answer of mine turned out be wrong according to the mark scheme. What I did first was differentiate the original formula giving me the rate which was -20e^-0.05-1 and subbed in 50 which gave me -0.604. Where did I go wrong?

That sounds like the right steps, but I'm not sure what you've done to get -20e^-0.05-1. Either it should still have a t in it, or you've substituted incorrectly into the power.
Reply 2
Original post by ThomH97
That sounds like the right steps, but I'm not sure what you've done to get -20e^-0.05-1. Either it should still have a t in it, or you've substituted incorrectly into the power.

Sorry I forgot to add in the t when typing it but it was in the formula I used as -20e^-0.05t-1
Reply 3
Sorry I forgot to add in the t when typing it but it was in the formula I used as -20e^-0.05t-1

Looks good, but where did that extra -1 at the end come from?
Reply 4
Original post by ThomH97
Looks good, but where did that extra -1 at the end come from?

I differentiated so I minused 1 from -0.05t giving me -0.05t-1
Reply 5
I differentiated so I minused 1 from -0.05t giving me -0.05t-1

Ah, you only do that for polynomials.

To differentiate eg(t)e^{g(t)} for some function g of t, with respect to t, you combine the chain rule and the property of e that differentiating e^u with respect to u gives e^u. So you end up with g(t)eg(t)g'(t)e^{g(t)}
Reply 6
Original post by ThomH97
Ah, you only do that for polynomials.

To differentiate eg(t)e^{g(t)} for some function g of t, with respect to t, you combine the chain rule and the property of e that differentiating e^u with respect to u gives e^u. So you end up with g(t)eg(t)g'(t)e^{g(t)}

Oh right, thank you that makes sense now :smile:

I think you dint differentiate properly;
T = 400e^-0.05t + 25

dT/dt = -20e^-0.05t.

now replace t=50?

Quick Reply

Latest