The Student Room Group

Is Oxford worth it?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HopelessAgony37
Wrong! Do NOT disregard my answer. The Universities in the UK ARE in fact disproportionately higher for international students than residents. YOU are wrong and did not read my message carefully. The rates are higher than residents of the UK. Where are you from?

i didn't compare residents with internationals. Even in international fees, Oxford is not more expensive than other unis. Studying in the UK is expensive anyway.

By the way: no need to yell at me. Your aggressive voice does not intimidate me. This is my last conversation with you as I don't have time to waste in such a way. Good luck with your choice!
Reply 81
Wrong! Do NOT disregard my answer. The Universities in the UK ARE in fact disproportionately higher for international students than residents. YOU are wrong and did not read my message carefully. The rates are higher than residents of the UK. Where are you from?

What country are you from?

Aiming for Oxford and other top universities is probably the best thing for you, there's no point in paying the huge fees that internationals have to pay for universities like Sheffield hallam or something.
Reply 82
Original post by the_queen
i didn't compare residents with internationals. Even in international fees, Oxford is not more expensive than other unis. Studying in the UK is expensive anyway.

By the way: no need to yell at me. Your aggressive voice does not intimidate me. This is my last conversation with you as I don't have time to waste in such a way. Good luck with your choice!

There's quite a range of international fees across UK universities. Oxbridge are generally amongst the most expensive.

https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/university-tuition-fees/reddin-survey-of-university-tuition-fees/foundation-undergraduate-tuition-fees-2017%E2%80%9318,-overseas/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 83

The fees for medicine at Cambridge are insane, I believe they are around 70k a year for internationals

Refering at Oxford, I assumed he is looking at the unis in the same range. And good unis are not cheap.
Reply 85
Original post by e^iπ
The fees for medicine at Cambridge are insane, I believe they are around 70k a year for internationals

Plus about £10k+ college tuition fee. :yy:
Prazz, is you Chicano?

loool no
Original post by e^iπ

:biggrin: They transformed Medicine in a degree for rich people not for talented ones.

Or maybe they have too many students and want to reduce the effort :u:
Reply 88
Original post by the_queen
:biggrin: They transformed Medicine in a degree for rich people not for talented ones.

Or maybe they have too many students and want to reduce the effort :u:

It's sad that they are exploiting the internationals' lust for a UK medicine degree and making them fork out almost half a million pounds for it (70k per year plus 10k college fees for 6 years)

Although there is a cap for the amount of international medical students they can take but still, one international medical student is the equivalent of 50 home students
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 89
Oh bull! I hope you are exaggerating or being facetious. Nothing to poke fun at.. Oxford is the top for expenses. Am I right?? Anything else is cheaper!

I've got an offer for Merton College in Oxford and the tuition fees are the same as everywhere but the accommodation is so cheap in comparison! It's less that £4,000 for the whole year for a VERY nice room, this doesn't take into account food (a pay as you go system) but of course you can budget that. Also, terms are quite a bit shorter there, in all you spend over a month less at uni per year compared to most, therefore you're also not spending money on general expenses during that time. It's a gruelling process of application; I personally found it very rewarding and enjoyed it but it takes a long time, multiple stages, days of interviews, etc and if you don't feel up to that don't apply because it takes a lot of commitment, but if you want a challenge go for it, you never know, it could pay off!
Reply 90
Original post by e^iπ
Although there is a cap for the amount of international medical students they can take but still, one international medical student is the equivalent of 50 home students

Not quite, the NHS/gov subsidizes the cost for home students. The overall cost of training a home medic is £230k.

And if an international doesn't want to pay £70k they can try the bargain basement Oxford (£26k - £36k pa inc college fee) :wink:
Reply 91
Original post by Doonesbury
Not quite, the NHS/gov subsidizes the cost for home students. The overall cost of training a home medic is £230k.

And if an international doesn't want to pay £70k they can try the bargain basement Oxford (£26k - £36k pa inc college fee) :wink:

Your last point is interesting, I wonder why there is such a discrepancy in international fees between Ox and Cam.

Surely for any international student, it would be a no-brainer to pick Oxford as both universities have the same standing when it comes to medicine (with Oxford being regarded as marginally better in the rankings)
Getting in, they say, is the toughest part.

If you think that getting into Oxford is the hardest part then boy, you're going to get a shock when you actually start...
So, I’m sorry.. but, is there something between us, orrrr no? Is it just me? It’s this... connection.. I just, can’t even.. do you feel it too?

???
Reply 94
is sex nice?
Original post by e^iπ
Your last point is interesting, I wonder why there is such a discrepancy in international fees between Ox and Cam.

Surely for any international student, it would be a no-brainer to pick Oxford as both universities have the same standing when it comes to medicine (with Oxford being regarded as marginally better in the rankings)

Cambridge's fees have shot up over the last couple of years - it was £50k last year, significantly less before that.

I can only assume its a change in policy from Cambridge - that they'd rather take the money these courses easily command, rather than keep application numbers stupidly high.
Reply 96
Original post by nexttime
Cambridge's fees have shot up over the last couple of years - it was £50k last year, significantly less before that.

I can only assume its a change in policy from Cambridge - that they'd rather take the money these courses easily command, rather than keep application numbers stupidly high.

Good spot, I didn't think they were *that* high previously.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is actually quite an interesting question.

From a simple perspective, it depends what you value from your money as an international. It is costly, there are cheaper alternatives. So it depends whether you value the course, the small class sizes and the individualised tuition aspect.

It is hard work and I don't think anyone can doubt that and work-related stress can affect some people. The welfare resources are very good and on average people aren't unduly stressed, but there will always be exceptions (which is why I have heard some to take further consideration if you have a long-lasting severe mental illness - which can in some cases be worsened by stress and the individual would know best their own risk). If you don't do the hard work then you're unlikely to feel as much benefit both in terms of grades and experience (which is why they pick people who they think are up to the challenge).

But from another perspective, it depends on what you classify as "worth it". Obviously, there are benefits others have mentioned and that is factual, but there is always a subjective element to these kinds of choices. It's hard to know excluding a handful of sectors (mostly IBM/law) whether the reputation of your degree will make a significant difference in hiring or what job you get. Will taking one path lead to one career outcome over another, or will they end up being similar?

Rather experience seems to be the main factor in many cases, so it's better to choose somewhere *you* (knowing yourself and your own goals) would be happier: a really hard thing for any of us to ultimately know because we are strangers. We can tell you the facts or what it is like but we can't dictate the right or wrong choice because the only "right" choice is the one that feels right to your circumstances and values.
What’s with the question marks?... are you not into me then, or..?
Original post by auburnstar
This is actually quite an interesting question.

From a simple perspective, it depends what you value from your money as an international. It is costly, there are cheaper alternatives. So it depends whether you value the course, the small class sizes and the individualised tuition aspect.

It is hard work and I don't think anyone can doubt that and work-related stress can affect some people. The welfare resources are very good and on average people aren't unduly stressed, but there will always be exceptions (which is why I have heard some to take further consideration if you have a long-lasting severe mental illness - which can in some cases be worsened by stress and the individual would know best their own risk). If you don't do the hard work then you're unlikely to feel as much benefit both in terms of grades and experience (which is why they pick people who they think are up to the challenge).

But from another perspective, it depends on what you classify as "worth it". Obviously, there are benefits others have mentioned and that is factual, but there is always a subjective element to these kinds of choices. It's hard to know excluding a handful of sectors (mostly IBM/law) whether the reputation of your degree will make a significant difference in hiring or what job you get. Will taking one path lead to one career outcome over another, or will they end up being similar?

Rather experience seems to be the main factor in many cases, so it's better to choose somewhere *you* (knowing yourself and your own goals) would be happier: a really hard thing for any of us to ultimately know because we are strangers. We can tell you the facts or what it is like but we can't dictate the right or wrong choice because the only "right" choice is the one that feels right to your circumstances and values. So stop *****ing, and start DOING.. you moron!

Wow! First off, thank you for the incredible response! Your insight and perspective on the situation was really influential in guiding me on this decision. It’s going to be tough, but like yourself and others here have mentioned, there is no easy path. Plus, the easier paths do not equate to being better. I feel that way because I believe that you can always cut corners in life, but never in regards to your education. You’ll only short-change yourself by doing the easy way, or taking the safer, less scary route. My uncle has always recited a great quote, and it stands out to me in times such as these:

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

I believe it was Mark Twain that said it. My brain is filled with quotes like these, but what good are they without action behind them? They must be the impetus that drives us, otherwise they’re simply empty thoughts. Just words. I guess you made me realize that I need to just man-up and go after what I want. I’m in a comfortable spot, safe and sound in my country, with safe opportunities here near my friends and family. But I WANT to adventure! I dare to do it! I have to do it.. it’s only my fear that is holding me back, and I know it will be worthwhile for me developmentally.. it’ll be an experience I can keep with me forever. I need to do it and you made me realize that. I’ll miss my life here and will miss home when I’m over there, but you only get one life. I want the experiences. Thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending