The Student Room Group

I haven't revised for my GCSEs

Hi everyone!!!!!!

As you are all painfully aware of, GCSEs kick off tomorrow with Religious Studies and I, like the bimbo that I am, have not done even a whole minute of revision over the last two years.

I got 5 A* and 3 B for my mocks (I didn't revise for those either) and tbh I haven't stopped laughing manically because I'm super stressed and DYING inside.

Will I be alright? Any help, criticism, hate is welcome 😄😄😄

Thx - Celia
Have you tried revising?

No seriously, those are some neat mock grades, but you need to just do past paper questions (what I find best) for the exam that is directly next (so just RE for now, until the exam is done, then focus on the next one.)
how did u get a*s and B's on the new spec?
Original post by psyche_celia
Hi everyone!!!!!!

As you are all painfully aware of, GCSEs kick off tomorrow with Religious Studies and I, like the bimbo that I am, have not done even a whole minute of revision over the last two years.

I got 5 A* and 3 B for my mocks (I didn't revise for those either) and tbh I haven't stopped laughing manically because I'm super stressed and DYING inside.

Thx - Celia

You are highkey an idiot lmao but you will be fine. The exam is in the afternoon so you have until 8:00 AM until 1:20 PM at the latest. Find some past paper questions and just bullet point your answers and memorise them
Hi everyone!!!!!!

Thx - Celia

There's no exam pressure in mocks and there's an air of 'I've seen this question before in previous mocks'. You sit there smiling at your friends and not thinking much about it, because the attitude is that 'it's only a mock!' which far too many students have. I see it even now, in my second year of A Levels. My best pals at college have the exact same attitude as you, where they've done absolutely no revision all year for mocks etc, but they're bricking it for their exams next week, as they know that mock exams and real exams aren't truly synonymous. I have one pal who's spent the full year bigging up the fact that he does no revision yet does well in mock exams, but now he's feeling the pressure. You'll get into that exam hall and the pressure will just come - this is what makes or breaks a student and their grade. I don't mean to sound pessimistic but it's the reality of it.

I've been there and done that myself. I thought I was going to get an A in Physics and a D in Chemistry at GCSE just because of my mocks (which I didn't revise for myself), but I got a B in both. I was told I was going to fail GCSE Maths but ended up getting a B in it. Everyone'e different. You could do so well in mocks and then fail it all at the final hurdle, just like I did badly in my GCSE Chemistry mocks but fast forward a few years and now I'm an A* A Level student in it. It's a probability that you can't be sure about I'm afraid.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Gent2324

Not sure where OP is from but Northern Ireland still uses letter grades for their GCSEs
Honestly same at this stage there isn’t any point in dwelling on what we’ve not done we can only do what we can. For re I’m going to just be certain I know key terminology and a few quotes that I can use for a variety of things and we should be okay😂💔🙃
Original post by Gent2324

haha I mean 8 and 6, I can't think in the new spec
Original post by sKULLedGhost
You are highkey an idiot lmao but you will be fine. The exam is in the afternoon so you have until 8:00 AM until 1:20 PM at the latest. Find some past paper questions and just bullet point your answers and memorise them

Thanks I know 😂 I'll try to sit my ass down and do AT LEAST one paper but its so boring...
Thanks I know 😂 I'll try to sit my ass down and do AT LEAST one paper but its so boring...

Girl i KNOW. I literally just switched to Computer Science. Get a lined piece of paper and write down all the questions then bullet point your answer instead of writing a full paragraph. Just watch study with me videos. Good luck though x
That was very insightful, I appreciate you took the time to write that out. This is the first time actually that the idea of exam hall pressure has been brought up to me, so truly now I'm questioning my abilities again.
I've always been this way since I first entered the academic world and at first I thought I was just stupid, but then that proved to be the opposite, so now I'm left with the worst possibility which is that I'm just ridiculously lazy and unambitious. I feel tremendously guilty for not revising, I've had to watch all my peers break their back and shed tears and blood just to attain a B whilst I've been frolicking around, not giving a damn about anything yet still coming out with the best grades. I don't know man I'm freaking out because what this means is that my grades depend not on my capabilities or knowledge but on my mental state that day and if I wake up tomorrow depressed, unmotivated or hella stressed then I might not even make it to the first question but if I wake up feeling confident and excited then maybe I'll be okay.
Your words ring true, I'll bear the responsibility of it and whatever but thanks anyway

Original post by Kian Stevens
There's no exam pressure in mocks and there's an air of 'I've seen this question before in previous mocks'. You sit there smiling at your friends and not thinking much about it, because the attitude is that 'it's only a mock!' which far too many students have. I see it even now, in my second year of A Levels. My best pals at college have the exact same attitude as you, where they've done absolutely no revision all year for mocks etc, but they're bricking it for their exams next week, as they know that mock exams and real exams aren't truly synonymous. I have one pal who's spent the full year bigging up the fact that he does no revision yet does well in mock exams, but now he's feeling the pressure. You'll get into that exam hall and the pressure will just come - this is what makes or breaks a student and their grade. I don't mean to sound pessimistic but it's the reality of it.

I've been there and done that myself. I thought I was going to get an A in Physics and a D in Chemistry at GCSE just because of my mocks (which I didn't revise for myself), but I got a B in both. I was told I was going to fail GCSE Maths but ended up getting a B in it. Everyone'e different. You could do so well in mocks and then fail it all at the final hurdle, just like I did badly in my GCSE Chemistry mocks but fast forward a few years and now I'm an A* A Level student in it. It's a probability that you can't be sure about I'm afraid.
Hi everyone!!!!!!

Thx - Celia

Those are peng mock grades. Just try and relax fam.
really??
same here
But I'm doing igcse
That was very insightful, I appreciate you took the time to write that out. This is the first time actually that the idea of exam hall pressure has been brought up to me, so truly now I'm questioning my abilities again.
I've always been this way since I first entered the academic world and at first I thought I was just stupid, but then that proved to be the opposite, so now I'm left with the worst possibility which is that I'm just ridiculously lazy and unambitious. I feel tremendously guilty for not revising, I've had to watch all my peers break their back and shed tears and blood just to attain a B whilst I've been frolicking around, not giving a damn about anything yet still coming out with the best grades. I don't know man I'm freaking out because what this means is that my grades depend not on my capabilities or knowledge but on my mental state that day and if I wake up tomorrow depressed, unmotivated or hella stressed then I might not even make it to the first question but if I wake up feeling confident and excited then maybe I'll be okay.
Your words ring true, I'll bear the responsibility of it and whatever but thanks anyway

You could just be a natural academic where everything just clicks for you, and not for others. The real exams are the real test of abilities, unlike mocks, which I was trying to get at in my original comment.

The worst thing to do is stress out, because stress and (exam) pressure don't go well together. Just chill out bud - do what you need to do.
thanks queen xxx
Original post by Mrs.Grey
Those are peng mock grades. Just try and relax fam.
thanks queen xxx

welcome babes
Reply 16
Hi everyone!!!!!!

Thx - Celia

It depends on how you feel and what grades you want. If you're confident that you can do well and pass then that's good for you.

But let me be honest here, I have been revising for my exams since like the middle of Year 10 and I still don't feel ready.
Hi everyone!!!!!!

Thx - Celia

Ahah mate I've got the exam tomorrow aswell best thing is bang out a few past papers and and mark them honestly. Then go through spec and learn each point its not that hard I got 100% in the mock so message me if u've got any other questions and good luck :wink: xx

Quick Reply

Latest