The Student Room Group

GCSE Music Ensemble

I am grade 4 viola and my friend (grade 7 violin) does GCSE music and asked me to play in his ensemble piece.

Naturally, being grade 4 viola I wasn't his first choice. However, the sixth year he asked to play the viola part is on study leave and can't come in, that's when he turned to me.

The piece is bohemian rhapsody and whilst it is simple enough, I simply cannot play the fast part of the piece with all the shifts.

I am inexperienced as I wasn't able to join string group or orchestra this year and feel very insecure about my musical ability.

I might be able to get the hang of it by next week but I have about 6 exams between now and then so won't have a lot of time to practise.

Should I tell him I can't do it or should I just keep working at it and risk playing atrociously on the day?

If I should cancel what should I say to him as I really don't want to let him down.

(Btw this performance is a mock of the real performance but I still value my integrity)

Thank you
maybe the person could find a different accompanist (instead of viola maybe piano or clarinet idk). It’s better if he is playing with someone who is confident, so he can perfect his own performance rather than worrying about what youre doing.

Or , who knows, possibly it could give him a confidence boost since he would be playing better than you (no offense). But I doubt it
Original post by jadarose
maybe the person could find a different accompanist (instead of viola maybe piano or clarinet idk). It’s better if he is playing with someone who is confident, so he can perfect his own performance rather than worrying about what youre doing.

Or , who knows, possibly it could give him a confidence boost since he would be playing better than you (no offense). But I doubt it

For this part he has to have an ensemble so I think he has another violin, viola and cello (?) I don't know that much about the rest of the ensemble tbh. Violists are so rare in my school, we have three including myself so finding someone to play is a struggle. It's just such a horrible situation. I definitely agree that he has to be confident I just don't want to let him down by saying I can't do it :/

Quick Reply

Latest