The Student Room Group

School sixth form/ college?

Hi guys!!(: As my current school doesn't have a sixth form, I'll either have to go to another school's sixth form or a college. I'm quite a motivated and independent learner so I guess I can fit into both? I like the structure and formality of a sixth form and I can envision myself doing well in the setting. However there's only one outstanding state sixth form in my area (Cheadle Hulme High) and they don't do music. If I travel further, I can go to Altrincham grammar (low chance to enter), sale grammar or loreto grammar etc. I do prefer a mixed environment more if possible. Does anyone go to sales grammar? For private, I like Man High for Girls and CHS, does anyone go to these two? Students in Man high seem so smart and humble and happy I want to be one of them, while chs has a more relaxed vibe and a lovely sixth form centre. Both school's music departments seem great.

For my subject choices, it's another of my struggle (: I don't know for sure what i want in life, it's hard to make a balance between dream and reality.) I plan to do maths and chemistry definitely. For my third option, I have to choose between biology and geography. I enjoy geography more, love nature and conservation, but I'm not sure if I want to pursue an environmental career. If I pick biology, I could be a dentist or doctor( interested in becoming an obgyn, so meaningful), and many more stem jobs which will offer me a good income.
But outside of these,my genuine passion and interest is music and going down a music career excites me. The salary and instability puts me off tho, especially when your parents and friends aren't too optimistic about it. I am great at piano (been playing it since I was five) but not a world class level pianist if you know what I mean. I think I will really enjoy A level music and do well, but not many schools accept it as a fourth a level, and if I take it as one of the three, then I can't do biology. This is like deciding my life direction already. How?

I look forward to all your advice and guidance. Thank you!
Hi there,

I know your struggle! I knew when I moved into 6th form that I wanted to study Classics A level but it was only taught at a few schools - I ended up in a local grammar school - and it was the best move I ever made! Music was also one of my choices, I never thought I'd end up taking it as a degree, but my passion for the subject grew so much more studying at 6th form....

That all being said - that is my experience - and we all have different motivations in life. I wasn't thinking so much about careers, more of what I enjoyed studying.

Have you visited the schools? As with choosing a university, it's a really good idea to visit the place you might want to attend - see the facilities and meet the teachers. After that, write yourself a pro & cons list - that can often help clarify your thoughts.

Best of luck!
Reply 2
Original post by taco cat yay
Hi guys!!(: As my current school doesn't have a sixth form, I'll either have to go to another school's sixth form or a college. I'm quite a motivated and independent learner so I guess I can fit into both? I like the structure and formality of a sixth form and I can envision myself doing well in the setting. However there's only one outstanding state sixth form in my area (Cheadle Hulme High) and they don't do music. If I travel further, I can go to Altrincham grammar (low chance to enter), sale grammar or loreto grammar etc. I do prefer a mixed environment more if possible. Does anyone go to sales grammar? For private, I like Man High for Girls and CHS, does anyone go to these two? Students in Man high seem so smart and humble and happy I want to be one of them, while chs has a more relaxed vibe and a lovely sixth form centre. Both school's music departments seem great.

For my subject choices, it's another of my struggle (: I don't know for sure what i want in life, it's hard to make a balance between dream and reality.) I plan to do maths and chemistry definitely. For my third option, I have to choose between biology and geography. I enjoy geography more, love nature and conservation, but I'm not sure if I want to pursue an environmental career. If I pick biology, I could be a dentist or doctor( interested in becoming an obgyn, so meaningful), and many more stem jobs which will offer me a good income.
But outside of these,my genuine passion and interest is music and going down a music career excites me. The salary and instability puts me off tho, especially when your parents and friends aren't too optimistic about it. I am great at piano (been playing it since I was five) but not a world class level pianist if you know what I mean. I think I will really enjoy A level music and do well, but not many schools accept it as a fourth a level, and if I take it as one of the three, then I can't do biology. This is like deciding my life direction already. How?

hi! im currently a y11 at alty girls

i think this year is a good year to apply to my school, i know somany people who are leaving and it seems everyone is applying to sale, that being said applications closed yesterday

however reading what you said i think man high is the best choice for you, theyve got loads of stuff for music and opputrtunites that u just wont get at my skl lol. think we have like 1-2 music a level students a year, but we do let you take it as a 4th if ur grades r good overall

gl on whever u go!
Reply 3
Original post by CCCU -Rep
Hi there,

I know your struggle! I knew when I moved into 6th form that I wanted to study Classics A level but it was only taught at a few schools - I ended up in a local grammar school - and it was the best move I ever made! Music was also one of my choices, I never thought I'd end up taking it as a degree, but my passion for the subject grew so much more studying at 6th form....

That all being said - that is my experience - and we all have different motivations in life. I wasn't thinking so much about careers, more of what I enjoyed studying.

Have you visited the schools? As with choosing a university, it's a really good idea to visit the place you might want to attend - see the facilities and meet the teachers. After that, write yourself a pro & cons list - that can often help clarify your thoughts.

Best of luck!

Thank you for your comment((; It’s glad to know you enjoy music as well. I have visited the schools and I felt the spark most with Man High( the one with outstanding music department), so I think I’ll go there hopefully. I have written a pro and cons list as well and after organising my thoughts I have a ranking of sixth form in my mind now! Thanks(:
Reply 4
Original post by CCCU -Rep
Hi there,

Best of luck!

what’s the difference?
Reply 5
Original post by visula
hi! im currently a y11 at alty girls

i think this year is a good year to apply to my school, i know somany people who are leaving and it seems everyone is applying to sale, that being said applications closed yesterday

however reading what you said i think man high is the best choice for you, theyve got loads of stuff for music and opputrtunites that u just wont get at my skl lol. think we have like 1-2 music a level students a year, but we do let you take it as a 4th if ur grades r good overall

gl on whever u go!

Hello thank you for your comment!! I didn’t particularly like altrincham grammar’s atmosphere after the visit and it’s quite far away so I didn’t apply, However I would have if I saw this last week ahaha.

Yes I think Man High feels right as well, thank you(;

Hi there!

I’m at the University of Surrey now after studying at Xaverian College for my A-Levels. I absolutely loved it there and would highly recommend! They have a great academic reputation in all subjects, and they allow you to do 4 A-Levels if you wish to. I did music, drama and law there and I thoroughly enjoyed them all, with amazing teachers who were incredibly knowledgable, and gave me so much helpful extra support that I needed; they all really cared about my education as well as my well-being.

Their music department is to such a high standard as well, and has so many groups and ensembles for you to get involved in regardless of whether you do A-Level music or not.

Furthermore, because it’s in more central Manchester, you get the opportunity to meet so many new people from all over the city with lots of different life experiences, and they were people I would’ve never otherwise have met if I didn’t go - they are now my absolute friends for life!

I hope this helps! I also have friends who went to Loreto and Aquinas and had great experiences there, so they are other potential colleges that you could have a look at. I understand that may be further out of your area than you’d initially thought but I’ve suggested them anyway just in case!

Best of luck with it all :smile:

Kind regards,
Rose Warburton (she/her)
Actor-Musician, 3rd year
Reply 7
Original post by University of Surrey Student Rep

Hi there!

I’m at the University of Surrey now after studying at Xaverian College for my A-Levels. I absolutely loved it there and would highly recommend! They have a great academic reputation in all subjects, and they allow you to do 4 A-Levels if you wish to. I did music, drama and law there and I thoroughly enjoyed them all, with amazing teachers who were incredibly knowledgable, and gave me so much helpful extra support that I needed; they all really cared about my education as well as my well-being.

Their music department is to such a high standard as well, and has so many groups and ensembles for you to get involved in regardless of whether you do A-Level music or not.

Furthermore, because it’s in more central Manchester, you get the opportunity to meet so many new people from all over the city with lots of different life experiences, and they were people I would’ve never otherwise have met if I didn’t go - they are now my absolute friends for life!

I hope this helps! I also have friends who went to Loreto and Aquinas and had great experiences there, so they are other potential colleges that you could have a look at. I understand that may be further out of your area than you’d initially thought but I’ve suggested them anyway just in case!

Best of luck with it all :smile:

Kind regards,
Rose Warburton (she/her)
Actor-Musician, 3rd year

Thank you for your comment! I've heard lots of good stuff abt xaverian( especially music) and lots of my frds want to go. I will definitely consider it. I've applied to all 3 colleges u mentioned haha

Yes so true you meet so many more people in college than you do in a small sixth form, and everyone's starting fresh so it can be easier to make friends. I'm worried that if I go to a sixth form everyone has their friend grp already so it may be hard to blend in. College and sixth form both have pros and cons idk
Reply 8
hiya!
thought id drop my experience even if it isnt quite relevant!
i go to a sixth form attached to school that had a sort of "rivalry" with the high school i went to (i say it with "" because i never felt the rivalry at my old school, but at my sixth form everyone hates my old school!) and therefore have found it a bit difficult to adjust to making friends
i dont know the context to the schools you have mentioned but just thought to mention that I too like structure but sometimes if your timetable is particularly strict, it can feel overwhelming with a-levels - this is why colleges do prove a more popular choice as many have more freedom in terms of the day and time slots (as well as the fact, they are larger so more people to meet!) but obviously ask around at the prospective schools to see how the day is run and which you would prefer!
good luck and i hope you enjoy which one you choose! x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending