The Student Room Group

OCR 21st Century Biology Breadth Exam 15th May 2018

Hey guys, how did you find today's biology exam if you were on OCR 21st c?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Can you remember any questions you had on it? I had a biology mock today as well
Reply 2
There was a question on Darwin's theory, a question on resistance (like resistance to insecticides - caused by mutations) , there was a question on the brain - like different parts and what they do so cerebellum, cerebral cortex and brain stem. The last question was on common ancestors and evolution.
Hey, I found it good. Hoping for 75-81.

Some questions:
1) Was the auxin diagram question B or C?
2) What did you get for the fill in gaps for the protein synthesis?
3) Did you get diagram 2 for the last one; the one with common ancestor not having the non-tasting variant?
4) What did you put for the dimples one?
Reply 4
BI cant rememberYES3/4
Reply 5
Original post by thekidwhogames
Hey, I found it good. Hoping for 75-81.

Some questions:
1) Was the auxin diagram question B or C?
2) What did you get for the fill in gaps for the protein synthesis?
3) Did you get diagram 2 for the last one; the one with common ancestor not having the non-tasting variant?
4) What did you put for the dimples one?

B
cant remember
YES
3/4
Reply 6
What did you get for the order of the letters on the brain question?
I put
c
b
a
Original post by SERYSERH
B
cant remember
YES
3/4

I mean the one suggesting why it's "irregular".
Also what did you put for the damp conditions woodlice and how to measure them?
For the brain:
The one about intelligence = cerebral cortex, the one about movement was cerebellum and last was brain stem
Reply 8
I mean the one suggesting why it's "irregular".
Also what did you put for the damp conditions woodlice and how to measure them?
For the brain:
The one about intelligence = cerebral cortex, the one about movement was cerebellum and last was brain stem

The woodlice one was because they are decomposers. So they need water, annoyingly I didn't put that but I literally regretted straight after the exam. Yeah I'm aiming for like 76+ as well
Reply 9
What did you get for the order of the letters on the brain question?
I put
c
b
a

I'm pretty sure they were asking for the names not letters, i put both (put letters in brackets) and I put A B C
Original post by peeked
The woodlice one was because they are decomposers. So they need water, annoyingly I didn't put that but I literally regretted straight after the exam. Yeah I'm aiming for like 76+ as well

I didn't know they were decomposers but thought of it in the exam. I said because damp places are rich in water content and oxygen which is needed by them.

Also, what did you write for:
1) Last question
2) Penultimate fill in gap of protein synthesis
3) Suggest why it's "irregular dominant"
4) The 2 practicals.
5) The first question on the observations of Dickens

What do you think a 9 is - everyone seems to have flopped it mainly.
You two shoudl make a unoffcial mark scheme
I feel like i flopped it
Also what do you think the grade boundaries will be?
I feel like i flopped it

I think nearly everyone has so you'll be fine with the boundaries. I have a feeling high 60s may be enough for a solid 9. OCR usually has low boundaries - last year it was 60% for A* Physics and we are new spec, harder, teachers don't know anything, etc. so expect high 60s-75% max for a 9.
Also what do you think the grade boundaries will be?

My gut feeling:
9 - 66/90
8 - 57/90
7 - 48/90
6 - 37/90
Reply 16
I didn't know they were decomposers but thought of it in the exam. I said because damp places are rich in water content and oxygen which is needed by them.

Also, what did you write for:
1) Last question
2) Penultimate fill in gap of protein synthesis
3) Suggest why it's "irregular dominant"
4) The 2 practicals.
5) The first question on the observations of Dickens

What do you think a 9 is - everyone seems to have flopped it mainly.

'Everyone seems to have flopped it mainly'?? Wow, I hope so, honestly man that makes me feel so much better, literally so many people in my school said it was easy so I was panicking that the grade boundaries are going to mental. Okay, so that's not too bad then.

1) Last question, I put explanation 2 because it shows they mutated differently which explains why the genes are different
2) I can't remember this 100%, I remember putting 'genetic variant' as the last answer
3) For one of the practicals (the woodlice one) I put use a quadrat etc, For the second one I described the practical where you get the plants and put foil on the tips or you can see how they grow by putting them in a box and then seeing which was they grow
4) That first question was worded really bad, I put Darwin looked at fossils and he looked at the last one which was like he looked at species or something and I put his theory was the theory of evolution but lots of my friends but theory of natural selection

I think a 9 will be like 85% max which will be like 77 marks however I think it will probably be like 72/74. Honestly though I'm not sure how everyone across the country did. Going by last years OCR 21st B paper an A* was only like 70% for some papers.
Reply 17
My gut feeling:
9 - 66/90
8 - 57/90
7 - 48/90
6 - 37/90

Actually these seem a lot more accurate, I would definitely agree with you here. These do seem pretty good. I hope I've got a 9 then :smile: Really want it in the sciences
Reply 18
I think nearly everyone has so you'll be fine with the boundaries. I have a feeling high 60s may be enough for a solid 9. OCR usually has low boundaries - last year it was 60% for A* Physics and we are new spec, harder, teachers don't know anything, etc. so expect high 60s-75% max for a 9.

True the boundaries were low last year and that was like when the spec was easier. Yeah I would say 80% is like an absolute maximum with it probably being like 70-75%
Original post by peeked
'Everyone seems to have flopped it mainly'?? Wow, I hope so, honestly man that makes me feel so much better, literally so many people in my school said it was easy so I was panicking that the grade boundaries are going to mental. Okay, so that's not too bad then.

1) Last question, I put explanation 2 because it shows they mutated differently which explains why the genes are different
2) I can't remember this 100%, I remember putting 'genetic variant' as the last answer
3) For one of the practicals (the woodlice one) I put use a quadrat etc, For the second one I described the practical where you get the plants and put foil on the tips or you can see how they grow by putting them in a box and then seeing which was they grow
4) That first question was worded really bad, I put Darwin looked at fossils and he looked at the last one which was like he looked at species or something and I put his theory was the theory of evolution but lots of my friends but theory of natural selection

I think a 9 will be like 85% max which will be like 77 marks however I think it will probably be like 72/74. Honestly though I'm not sure how everyone across the country did. Going by last years OCR 21st B paper an A* was only like 70% for some papers.

Everyone in my year said it was easy too then I discussed my answers with theirs and now they think they flopped and I too think I did relatively bad.

1) I put diagram 2. Since the DNA sequences differ, they may have the non-tasting variants due to mutations and not from the common ancestor and I elaborated.
2) Yeah, I talked about how parents could be heterzygous etc.
3) I did the recapture remark release but did the same for the seeds.
4) I said the fossils and organisms and the one about islands, I think.

85% is too high considernig howbad everyone did so I'm thinking maybe 67.

Quick Reply

Latest