The Student Room Group

Any alevel advice for year 12?

I'm in year 12 and the summer holidays are approaching, any recommendations or advice as to choosing courses/unis, preparing for revision etc? Any tips that you wish someone had told you? Will appreciate any advice :smile:
Original post by orangemarmalade
I'm in year 12 and the summer holidays are approaching, any recommendations or advice as to choosing courses/unis, preparing for revision etc? Any tips that you wish someone had told you? Will appreciate any advice :smile:

This is your future self.
Start revising from day one, i dont care if you think that you will be done with revision 2 or 3 months before everyone else, the earlier the better so more pastpaper practice. PLease dont make the same mistake i did
Pick a course you actually like, not the one you think that will get you a lot of money. unless you want to go into medicine you can practically do any STEM degree and end up with a decent job since you can interwine with different fields very easily.
Start studying from now in the summer, so you can grasp concepts easily in class, speaking of class dont skip any lessons, i'm dreading that now. Even if you dont like you teacher gooooo, just go you'll probably find or learn something useful, that will help you later in life or in exam time.
When firming or insuring a university be sure to pick one university that you like and definetly know that you'll meet the offer.
Apply to UK AND ANOTHER COUNTRY. The UK only care about you're A-level if you dont meet their grade requirement then 80% of the time they'll reject you. But America doesn't really care about A-levels they just want you to get a pass which is anything above a U. (Provided you got +1400 on SAT)
Canada, i dont know much about but they dont seem to care about A-level grades since their conditional offers are like BBC or lower so they aren't that stingy on the offers.
YOU CANNOT CRAM FOR A-LEVELS YOU JUST CANT. Dont leave it till last minute, there is absolutely no way that you can study for +8 hours a day for a week you'll burn out trust me and you'll start making silly mistakes. And you cant do more than 2 subjects a day, finish all the math content first so you can start practicing questions. IF YOU'RE DOING MORE THAN 3 SUBJECTS THEN PLEASE STOP, Its very hard and not worth it, check university offers and the subjects they require and drop to 3 subjects if you can.
last tip:
START REVISING NOW
Original post by assassinbunny123
This is your future self.
Start revising from day one, i dont care if you think that you will be done with revision 2 or 3 months before everyone else, the earlier the better so more pastpaper practice. PLease dont make the same mistake i did
Pick a course you actually like, not the one you think that will get you a lot of money. unless you want to go into medicine you can practically do any STEM degree and end up with a decent job since you can interwine with different fields very easily.
Start studying from now in the summer, so you can grasp concepts easily in class, speaking of class dont skip any lessons, i'm dreading that now. Even if you dont like you teacher gooooo, just go you'll probably find or learn something useful, that will help you later in life or in exam time.
When firming or insuring a university be sure to pick one university that you like and definetly know that you'll meet the offer.
Apply to UK AND ANOTHER COUNTRY. The UK only care about you're A-level if you dont meet their grade requirement then 80% of the time they'll reject you. But America doesn't really care about A-levels they just want you to get a pass which is anything above a U. (Provided you got +1400 on SAT)
Canada, i dont know much about but they dont seem to care about A-level grades since their conditional offers are like BBC or lower so they aren't that stingy on the offers.
YOU CANNOT CRAM FOR A-LEVELS YOU JUST CANT. Dont leave it till last minute, there is absolutely no way that you can study for +8 hours a day for a week you'll burn out trust me and you'll start making silly mistakes. And you cant do more than 2 subjects a day, finish all the math content first so you can start practicing questions. IF YOU'RE DOING MORE THAN 3 SUBJECTS THEN PLEASE STOP, Its very hard and not worth it, check university offers and the subjects they require and drop to 3 subjects if you can.
last tip:
START REVISING NOW

Thank you! I am definitely going to start revision properly after mocks in June, and I've never thought of applying in another country! Will give it a look :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest