The Student Room Group

Retake Year 1 Alevels

I have just finished Year 12 completing 3 Alevels which I do not have AS level for. However, I want to redo the year and do Biology, Chemistry and Physics - Subjects I am not currently doing to get into medical school. I have had this interest since March but it was too late to change and my teachers said just complete the year then decide. I have also applied for medical work experience and do NHS volunteering in the wards.

But to aim for medical school I will have to redo the year with different subejcts so start from Year 12 again as that is what the unis recommended and I am not sure on what to do and need some advice.
@KA_P will be able to give you some very helpful advice :cute:
Original post by UserM09
I have just finished Year 12 completing 3 Alevels which I do not have AS level for. However, I want to redo the year and do Biology, Chemistry and Physics - Subjects I am not currently doing to get into medical school. I have had this interest since March but it was too late to change and my teachers said just complete the year then decide. I have also applied for medical work experience and do NHS volunteering in the wards.

But to aim for medical school I will have to redo the year with different subejcts so start from Year 12 again as that is what the unis recommended and I am not sure on what to do and need some advice.

This must be quite overwhelming at the moment :console: Could I ask which universities you contacted and what they said?

I personally feel it would be acceptable as it would be your first time taking these A-Levels, but I might tag some others that may be able to give better advice: @Admit-One @PQ
Reply 3
I contacted, Imperial and they said "Provided you take three entirely new subjects, including Biology and Chemistry, that would be fine", Brighton & Sussex Medical School, Glasgow - They said that I need chemistry and biology and either physics or maths hence why I picked physics as my third and NewCastle. Although NewCastle said I could apply with the subjects I am currently doing - however I feel that puts me at a disadvantage. As it would be mean I can only apply to that medical school and I don't want to apply to just one as I am not guaranteed the place. Most unis I want to apply for want chemistry and biology so I am a bit overwhelmed and don't know what to do as it is retaking a whole year now for 2025 entry for uni

Original post by KA_P
This must be quite overwhelming at the moment :console: Could I ask which universities you contacted and what they said?

I personally feel it would be acceptable as it would be your first time taking these A-Levels, but I might tag some others that may be able to give better advice: @Admit-One @PQ
Original post by UserM09
I contacted, Imperial and they said "Provided you take three entirely new subjects, including Biology and Chemistry, that would be fine", Brighton & Sussex Medical School, Glasgow - They said that I need chemistry and biology and either physics or maths hence why I picked physics as my third and NewCastle. Although NewCastle said I could apply with the subjects I am currently doing - however I feel that puts me at a disadvantage. As it would be mean I can only apply to that medical school and I don't want to apply to just one as I am not guaranteed the place. Most unis I want to apply for want chemistry and biology so I am a bit overwhelmed and don't know what to do as it is retaking a whole year now for 2025 entry for uni

Which A-levels did you take last year for year 12?

Judging by what these universities have advised, it wouldn't disadvantage you to retake the year and do Biology and Chemistry. It may be possible to continue one of your subjects that you started last year, but I would discuss whether this would be possible with your school and whether this woul dbe something you'd want to do.

Is there something in particular that's making you concerned and overwhelmed?
Reply 5
Original post by KA_P
Which A-levels did you take last year for year 12?

Judging by what these universities have advised, it wouldn't disadvantage you to retake the year and do Biology and Chemistry. It may be possible to continue one of your subjects that you started last year, but I would discuss whether this would be possible with your school and whether this woul dbe something you'd want to do.

Is there something in particular that's making you concerned and overwhelmed?

I am doing maths, computer science and business. Mhm I was thinking about keeping maths and redoing but Imperial said it would be best to fully redo the year and just start again as it would be mean then I have been doing maths for 3 years so it wouldn't follow their requirement of completing the Alevels in the 2 year sitting as it isn't a retake too it is doing Year 1 again the other unis said the same thing and said you would have to get an A* but the application would be viewed and it would be taken into into account that I did one subject for 3 years. I would be going to another college to do these subjects if was to do it though. Yeah I am partically overwhelmed as it is retaking the year and I know loads of people view it as wasting the year and my parents just want me to do any apprenticeship so I can start making money straight away. As well as my friends also telling me not to do it as I would be moving to another college and that I should just complete the year and then we are finally done with Alevels. And my bf haha he is a year older than me and is doing medicine and advises against me doing it as it is hard and difficult and I actually have to have a passion for it and I am wasting a year and that he is already a year ahead of me and now he will be 2 years ahead. My parents aren't as supportive for me to do this but if I was to do it they wouldn't say anything they would just heavily advise agaisnt it as well as my friends so I guess that is why I was worried and I don't want it to be a waste
(edited 8 months ago)
i say go for it. i resat year 1 of a level bc i was dissatisfied with my a levels and it was the best decision i've made. it hasn't hindered my chances of getting in but you will need to explain yourself to universities.
Reply 7
Original post by myanchovies
i say go for it. i resat year 1 of a level bc i was dissatisfied with my a levels and it was the best decision i've made. it hasn't hindered my chances of getting in but you will need to explain yourself to universities.

Ah what subjects did you change it too, are you applying for university this year. So far everyone is telling me to not do it
Original post by UserM09
I am doing maths, computer science and business. Mhm I was thinking about keeping maths and redoing but Imperial said it would be best to fully redo the year and just start again as it would be mean then I have been doing maths for 3 years so it wouldn't follow their requirement of completing the Alevels in the 2 year sitting as it isn't a retake too it is doing Year 1 again the other unis said the same thing and said you would have to get an A* but the application would be viewed and it would be taken into into account that I did one subject for 3 years. I would be going to another college to do these subjects if was to do it though. Yeah I am partically overwhelmed as it is retaking the year and I know loads of people view it as wasting the year and my parents just want me to do any apprenticeship so I can start making money straight away. As well as my friends also telling me not to do it as I would be moving to another college and that I should just complete the year and then we are finally done with Alevels. My parents aren't as supportive for me to do this but if I was to do it they wouldn't say anything they would just heavily advise agaisnt it as well as my friends so I guess that is why I was worried and I don't want it to be a waste

Ah I understand why that would be difficult to continue the subject. Honestly, at the end of the day it's your passion and your dream. No one can tell you otherwise and you should be proud of yourself for trying to get this all organised even amidst the doubts.

It's important to take things a step at a time. Doing an apprenticeship would not give you your end goal of studying Medicine and neither would staying with the subject you're currently taking. The best course of action would be retake year 12 with new subject to put you in the best position to apply to study Medicine. Please do not think you're wasting a year, many doctors take multiple gap years throughout their career and this one year would only serve you well.

Edit: it's also important to acknowledge why people are telling you not to do it. For your friends at your current college, they'll miss you - but it's not like you'll lose touch with them. For your parents, they want you to earn money right away. But keep in mind and prioritise what you want - something that you know you'll have a passion for and enjoy
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 9
Original post by KA_P
Ah I understand why that would be difficult to continue the subject. Honestly, at the end of the day it's your passion and your dream. No one can tell you otherwise and you should be proud of yourself for trying to get this all organised even amidst the doubts.

It's important to take things a step at a time. Doing an apprenticeship would not give you your end goal of studying Medicine and neither would staying with the subject you're currently taking. The best course of action would be retake year 12 with new subject to put you in the best position to apply to study Medicine. Please do not think you're wasting a year, many doctors take multiple gap years throughout their career and this one year would only serve you well.

Thank you I really needed to hear that but what do I tell everyone as everyone has already told me to not do it as it is hard and I may not be able to do it
Original post by UserM09
Thank you I really needed to hear that but what do I tell everyone as everyone has already told me to not do it as it is hard and I may not be able to do it

I think you've planned it out quite well already. Let them know that this is something you are certain you want to do and you're ready to face the challenges that come with it. Not taking this chance may make you regret and that you would rather give it your absolute best shot at achieving this. You've got this and we're cheering you on all the way :jumphug:
Original post by UserM09
Ah what subjects did you change it too, are you applying for university this year. So far everyone is telling me to not do it

i'm actually getting my results tomorrow. i switched from biology psychology and history edexcel to english lit history aqa and politics. wish me good luck!

at first i didn't want to either. i didn't like the idea of being one year behind my peers in terms of education, i thought it would mean i would always be one step behind, and i also heard classmates talking about how 'embarrassing' it would be to study with youngers. but i also had support from those around me including my parents, they told me to prioritise my wellbeing and do what i enjoy rather than forcing myself through 2 years of subjects i hate. and life moves at different paces for everyone. the fact that you're considering this means you genuinely are interested in medicine. i will advice though bio and chem are no joke please take care of your health and wellbeing if you do choose to retake.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 12
Original post by myanchovies
i'm actually getting my results tomorrow. i switched from biology psychology and history edexcel to english lit history aqa and politics. wish me good luck!

at first i didn't want to either. i didn't like the idea of being one year behind my peers in terms of education, i thought it would mean i would always be one step behind, and i also heard classmates talking about how 'embarrassing' it would be to study with youngers. but i also had support from those around me including my parents, they told me to prioritise my wellbeing and do what i enjoy rather than forcing myself through 2 years of subjects i hate. and life moves at different paces for everyone. the fact that you're considering this means you genuinely are interested in medicine. i will advice though bio and chem are no joke please take care of your health and wellbeing if you do choose to retake.

Ahh that gives me so much more confident, yes I have started revising for them already! I hope your A-levels went really well and you got into the uni of your choice !!!!!! Gooodluckkk!!!

Quick Reply

Latest