The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Chances for Oxbridge/High Russell group.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doonesbury

Portsmouth has a Gold TEF. Just like Nottingham. And it's firmly mid-table (if rankings matter...) for Politics, above some RGs.

We gonna pretend TEF means anything? If it shuts that poster up (who is outright wrong), I won't complain too much.

Original post by Jmlw123
Hi,

I've just completed my first year in Politics BA at Portsmouth University and am on track for a convincing 1st. I understand its first year but if I were to graduate with a 1st I would like to know my chances to get into the higher universities.

My A-Level grades are BBD which I understand are below par for a Russell group but I am not convinced they count for so much considering they should be irrelevant compared to a 1st?

When applying do they look for internships, work experience, language skills, being part of societies, SU etc? What would attract them the most? What do they appreciate more?
Plus any other advice I would love to hear.

I do completely understand that I might not end up with a first and it is only Portsmouth Uni but I want to do anything possible to help myself when applying for postgrad study and future jobs.

thanks.

Top RG will want high 2:1 and a 1st. Oxbridge will want a 1st and you'll want a high 1st to ensure you're in the running. GCSEs, A-Levels won't matter. SU and that won't matter. You can do academic-y ECs, such as running a student journal (I was involved with a law review) and getting your work published in uni or national student journals (ditto), and these will increase your chances. I never mentioned my GCSEs or A-Level grades to anyone.

All you have to do is get good grades and at Portsmouth, if you're with it, that won't be hard. Remember, master's applications are not nearly as competitive as undergrad; they really begin not to care at the PG level.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 21
Original post by Notoriety
We gonna pretend TEF means anything? If it shuts that poster up (who is outright wrong), I won't complain too much.

It certainly means rather more than some poster's misinformation :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
No that's not correct. How can they "discuss" your A-levels if they don't have the information in the first place? The Cambridge postgrad application does NOT ask about A-levels at all. It ONLY asks for current or previous degree-level study.
https://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/sites/www.2018.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/gradsaf_guide_for_2016-17_entry_0.pdf

Nevermind, I just realised I completely misunderstood OP. 🤣😭I was tired reading it, ok!!
Your undergrad university makes little difference when applying for a masters, or for jobs.

For example, there are MPhil students at Cambridge from Portsmouth University.

Portsmouth has a Gold TEF. Just like Nottingham. And it's firmly mid-table (if rankings matter...) for Politics, above some RGs.

hopeful messages :smile: lol
It certainly means rather more than some poster's misinformation :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its not misinformation just because it isnt your opinion.
Reply 25
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Its not misinformation just because it isnt your opinion.

It is misinformation when it is factually incorrect. There are Portsmouth grads doing MPhil at Cambridge. Portsmouth has a Gold rating for teaching. And is by no means "a poor uni" when it is ranked above some RGs for Politics.

Opinions are one thing. Fake news is quite another.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
Once again people replying don't know what they are talking about.

I am in OP's position in a couple of years time. I got ACD at A level thanks to mental health problems so am at a 'low' university. These A levels were not a representation of my intelligence but of my circumstances at the time. I persued the subject I got an A in and I've worked hard so am now on the border between a first and a 2:1 - a real representation. Despite having poor A levels, some poor first year grades and at a low uni, I have MSc offers from Birmingham and Newcastle. Because guess what, how you are performing in second and third year of your degree is what really counts regardless of your institution. And to get on to those MScs I only need 60 overall for Birmingham and 50 overall for Newcastle. OP just work hard and you can apply anywhere. And don't think it will be easier because you are at Portsmouth. It will only be less intense in first year and if you hand in a poor piece of work you will get a poor mark.
It is misinformation when it is factually incorrect. There are Portsmouth grads doing MPhil at Cambridge. Portsmouth has a Gold rating for teaching. And is by no means "a poor uni" when it is ranked above some RGs for Politics.

Opinions are one thing. Fake news is quite another.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mhhhmm 😴😴
Original post by Jmlw123
Hi,

I've just completed my first year in Politics BA at Portsmouth University and am on track for a convincing 1st. I understand its first year but if I were to graduate with a 1st I would like to know my chances to get into the higher universities.

My A-Level grades are BBD which I understand are below par for a Russell group but I am not convinced they count for so much considering they should be irrelevant compared to a 1st?

When applying do they look for internships, work experience, language skills, being part of societies, SU etc? What would attract them the most? What do they appreciate more?
Plus any other advice I would love to hear.

I do completely understand that I might not end up with a first and it is only Portsmouth Uni but I want to do anything possible to help myself when applying for postgrad study and future jobs.

thanks.

Getting into a masters isn't that hard tbh, some can be a bit difficult (e.g. top management/finance masters or very competitive research masters) but on the whole if you have decent grades and write a decent application you're alright. PhDs are a fair bit more difficult though.

I personally don't see the point in a masters that isn't top tier as a contingency plan because the extra cost is substantial..

That £10k postgrad loan bumps up your marginal tax rate another ~6% to a total of 15% (on top of normal tax/NI) of any additional pounds you make over £25k going to loan repayments.

If you really want the stamp of approval/increase in opportunities, I'd consider transferring or working for a few years before getting a masters.

You could also land a solid job if you put in a tonne of work (networking, ECs, good grades etc) if you stayed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Getting into a masters isn't that hard tbh, some can be a bit difficult (e.g. top management/finance masters or very competitive research masters) but on the whole if you have decent grades and write a decent application you're alright. PhDs are a fair bit more difficult though.

I personally don't see the point in a masters that isn't top tier as a contingency plan because the extra cost is substantial..

That £10k postgrad loan bumps up your marginal tax rate another ~6% to a total of 15% (on top of normal tax/NI) of any additional pounds you make over £25k going to loan repayments.

If you really want the stamp of approval/increase in opportunities, I'd consider transferring or working for a few years before getting a masters.

You could also land a solid job if you put in a tonne of work (networking, ECs, good grades etc) if you stayed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is hardly substantial. If you're on 40k a year, you're only going to be paying £900 more a year than if you just did a BA. You are more likely to be be in that £25k+ bracket with an Oxbridge postgrad than a sole Portsmouth BA. If you're rather unfortunate and get stuck in sub-£25k jobs for much of your professional career, vs 40k minus UG and PG SFE, in very rough terms you're still going to be at least £12750 a year better off. (Doesn't factor in other tax rates and all that other shite.)

In other words, if OP is right that they need or would at least be aided by a "corrective" PG to get a top salary, then they would still be better off by taking PG.
(edited 5 years ago)
It is hardly substantial. If you're on 40k a year, you're only going to be paying £900 more a year than if you just did a BA. You are more likely to be be in that £25k+ bracket with an Oxbridge postgrad than a sole Portsmouth BA. If you're rather unfortunate and get stuck in sub-£25k jobs for much of your professional career, vs 40k minus UG and PG SFE, in very rough terms you're still going to be at least £12750 a year better off. (Doesn't factor in other tax rates and all that other shite.)

In other words, if OP is right that they need or would at least be aided by a "corrective" PG to get a top salary, then they would still be better off by taking PG.

Sure, but that is 57% marginal at the higher rate.. Which means the OP would be paying the government the majority of their wage increases (over a meaningfull period due to interest). Not sure I could stomach having that marginal rate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Sure, but that is 57% marginal at the higher rate.. Which means the OP would be paying the government the majority of their wage increases (over a meaningfull period due to interest). Not sure I could stomach having that marginal rate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You said the extra cost is substantial.
You said the extra cost is substantial.

Yes extra, amoritised, cost of having a higher marginal rate or taking out private loans for some of the really expensive masters.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending