The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

dorian_gray
if the personnel manager is doing his job right, then he WILL have heard of Imperial, even if he's living in Austria and keeping a whole incest family in his cellar.

hahhaah score
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 121
dorian_gray
keeping a whole incest family in his cellar.

I dont think it is nice making jokes about this. :frown:
Reply 122
Whoah, chill out solo. He has some fair points; Imperial's not for everyone.

huhu
- the place is much more welcoming, i just dislike big cities
- the rent and prices
- teachers and porters were quite friendly at interview
- there are no scheduled lectures in the afternoon
- i like old buildings
- i won't have to explain which uni i was studying at when i am looking for a job

No, London is neither quaint nor friendly, but it is vibrant and full of opportunities. You can pretty much do anything you want here (and if you can't, you sure wouldn't be able to do it in Cam), get anything you want at any time and go wherever you want (pretty much everywhere leads to London). Then there's all the industrial stuff, but like you said that's not for you so fair enough. :smile:

No, it's not cheap, but neither is Cam: in fact, it's one of the most expensive universities in the country. We also have the highest starting salary of any university in the UK to help you pay back the debt. :wink:

No, we don't have porters; we have wardens and security. They're not as fancily named but they do the same job. We also have a very good welfare/pastoral system in place so you're never alone. Moving out after the first year and doing without also encourages you to become more independent. Again, if that's not for you then fair enough.

No, we don't get afternoons off; we work hard, play hard. Not that you won't find it's any different at Cam, but we're made to work very hard throughout the week. It gives you a very good work ethic for the future and the real world, where you don't get afternoons off.

No, our buildings aren't gothic or made or stone (I believe the wiki says the back of Imperial looks like a council estate in Slough :p:), but at least there's a chance we have running water in them and we don't freeze to death in winter. (And it's not like you're going to be artistically starved if you're into architecture - you're in London; architecture and museums/galleries abound). :smile:

No, we don't have the same international brand recognition among the layman than Cam, but we do hold the respect of anyone that matters. No firm/HR department worth its salt will be ignorant of Imperial or the reputation of its graduates.

People are different and have different qualities they look for in a university; some go for the buildings, some go for the lifestyle, some go for the teaching. None of which are wrong. Everyone is different and as such, not everyone is Imperial material.
saklut
I dont think it is nice making jokes about this. :frown:

Well I thought it was hilarious and I reject any sentiment you have or ever will have.
fais

No, London is neither quaint nor friendly, but it is vibrant and full of opportunities. You can pretty much do anything you want here (and if you can't, you sure wouldn't be able to do it in Cam), get anything you want at any time and go wherever you want (pretty much everywhere leads to London). Then there's all the industrial stuff, but like you said that's not for you so fair enough. :smile:

No, it's not cheap, but neither is Cam: in fact, it's one of the most expensive universities in the country. We also have the highest starting salary of any university in the UK to help you pay back the debt. :wink:

No, we don't have porters; we have wardens and security. They're not as fancily named but they do the same job. We also have a very good welfare/pastoral system in place so you're never alone. Moving out after the first year and doing without also encourages you to become more independent. Again, if that's not for you then fair enough.

No, we don't get afternoons off; we work hard, play hard. Not that you won't find it's any different at Cam, but we're made to work very hard throughout the week. It gives you a very good work ethic for the future and the real world, where you don't get afternoons off.

No, our buildings aren't gothic or made or stone (I believe the wiki says the back of Imperial looks like a council estate in Slough :p:), but at least there's a chance we have running water in them and we don't freeze to death in winter. (And it's not like you're going to be artistically starved if you're into architecture - you're in London; architecture and museums/galleries abound). :smile:

No, we don't have the same international brand recognition among the layman than Cam, but we do hold the respect of anyone that matters. No firm/HR department worth its salt will be ignorant of Imperial or the reputation of its graduates.

People are different and have different qualities they look for in a university; some go for the buildings, some go for the lifestyle, some go for the teaching. None of which are wrong. Everyone is different and as such, not everyone is Imperial material.

That was a very good and civilised reply rep for that.
Reply 125
solo2wolf
LOL. how many times!? you probably wont get into either so dont concern yourself with which is best :wink:.

i got into both. plus, i don't know anyone who's been rejected by imperial yet... lolz.
fais

i thought he was madmima
Reply 127
madima
i got into both. plus, i don't know anyone who's been rejected by imperial yet... lolz.

Really? That explains why they offered a place to ME (really didn't expect that)... :biggrin:
madima

Being smug about an acceptance to Cambridge? - great representation of your university there!

I know so far, this year, three people who've turned down Oxbridge for Imperial - naturally most accept but you're trying to rub in someones face that he:

a) got accepted to Oxford
b) did his research and applied personal preferences
c) declined Oxford and firmed Imperial
d) is generally happy about his decision

How sad are you?
Reply 129
why are you imperial people so defensive over your college's reputation? you call me ignorant yet all i see in this thread is some guy (solo[something]) claiming that imperial is the best at everything and that anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool, with a string of fellow imps backing up everything. it's not just this thread -- imps are like this everywhere. you say one bad thing about imperial and you get 20 or so nerds wanting to beat the crap out of you over the internet. yes imperial is a good college (lol), but no it's not as widely known as oxbridge and no it will never be, and i can assure you it won't have that "wow" factor oxbridge has.

i'm just left wondering -- if imperial is such a good place, then why do they give out like 5 offers per place? they seem desperate for such a grand institution. in my UCL interview, i met the majority of the people i met in the imperial interview. and guess what? they all had imperial offers. did any of those have any oxbridge offers? just a few...
huhu
Don't you think your reasons for choosing a certain uni are a little bit too specific? I mean, especially the quality of business schools and industrial connections sound very nonrelevant to me. I would chosse my uni on basis of how much I like the place and not on how detailed stress-analysis is taught. And now the reasons why i will choose cam over imp:
- the place is much more welcoming, i just dislike big cities
- the rent and prices
- teachers and porters were quite friendly at interview
- there are no scheduled lectures in the afternoon
- i like old buildings
- i won't have to explain which uni i was studying at when i am looking for a job
When I look at them my thoughts look pretty trivial compared to yours...

hmm i'd feel really welcome in a city where i'm not allowed to walk on any of the grass...except a small designated patch...but only in the summer. oh the friendliness!! :rolleyes:
madima
why are you imperial people so defensive over your college's reputation? you call me ignorant yet all i see in this thread is some guy (solo[something]) claiming that imperial is the best at everything and that anyone who thinks otherwise is a fool, with a string of fellow imps backing up everything. it's not just this thread -- imps are like this everywhere. you say one bad thing about imperial and you get 20 or so nerds wanting to beat the crap out of you over the internet. yes imperial is a good college (lol), but no it's not as widely known as oxbridge and no it will never be, and i can assure you it won't have that "wow" factor oxbridge has.

i'm just left wondering -- if imperial is such a good place, then why do they give out like 5 offers per place? they seem desperate for such a grand institution. in my UCL interview, i met the majority of the people i met in the imperial interview. and guess what? they all had imperial offers. did any of those have any oxbridge offers? just a few...

Well being Imperialists we love you anyway.
madima

oh get a life
*ArsENaL LovR4LyF* FAtzK
oh get a life

Love not Hate.
Reply 134
*ArsENaL LovR4LyF* FAtzK
oh get a life

i love your signature :rolleyes:.
Reply 135
hmm i'd feel really welcome in a city where i'm not allowed to walk on any of the grass...except a small designated patch...but only in the summer. oh the friendliness!!

What I can't understand is why you people are so desperate to defend your college, although I didn't even say it's bad or anything. Imperial sure as hell is a great college and for engineering (which I applied for) it may be a lot better than cambridge is. But I mean, that's not the point... I was talking about how weird it sounds to me when somebody's basis for choosing imperial is that goldman sachs recruits 10 students from IC every year... or the funding of some lab or whatever.
Apparently nobody answered to that because I was mistaken for madima which I can fully understand (actually... NO, I cant. Can't you read? It says "huhu" above my post)

It gives you a very good work ethic for the future and the real world, where you don't get afternoons off.

See, that's the logic I can't understand: If I know I won't get free afternoons for the next 40 years, why would I consciously choose the university that has that as well? Really?
Although I have to say I agree with what you wrote... choosing Imperial over Cambridge is a matter of individual preference. I just can't understand how some the people in this thread made up their criteria
madima

defensive and called you a moron because your initial post was "so you chose #2, Imperial". and you recon im claiming Imperial is the best at everything?! for the record i claim nothing. i present evidence for practically everything unlike 90% of you oxbridge mistakes. i respect oxbridge greatly, i just hate alot of the students attitudes. its funny that you acusse me of making "claims" when i could write a book about how much better Imperial is than Oxford and here you are saying oxford is no.1, without any proof. oh yes sorry i forgot, the "WOW" factor lol. i sincerly hope Imperial never has the "WOW, youre right up your own arse arnt you!" factor. if TSR has taught me anything its that i really dont respect many oxbridge students. chemistboy,edders (went to Imperial as undergrad),cerise and cookiedough are the only ones i can think of of the bat. while i very much respect and like the kind of people i find representing Imperial. it would take me ages to list all of them. they are just as knowledgable as the oxbridge lot but that fact never even occurs to then most of the time. perhaps it does and they just dont have that incredible urge to present themselves as the greatest thing that ever lived. i am generalising but im just responding to your generalisations towards Imperial students. take a look around TSR. i think youll find a great deal more BS spouted by Oxbridge students than Imperial. In general though high fliers have a justifiably big ego.
madima
i love your signature :rolleyes:.

hehe...alright busted :p: :redface:
well then congrats on getting both. but to go on about 'interviewee's getting blah offers and so on' ...not cool.
u have a hard choice, have u decided?

I dont mean to sound..i dont know what the word is....but...I mean, i think me not getting Cambridge is for the best (for me). coz when i went for the interview, i found the city so dead.. :p: . And there isn't even internet in all the rooms! And Imperial is just as good, if not better for my course (engineering). what hav u applied for?

i need to change my signature :p: . people may think I'm upset at not getting Cam :p: lol. Trust, I got over it pretty quite. Only annoyed at HOW i found out and the STRESS of applying.

:rolleyes:
huhu
What I can't understand is why you people are so desperate to defend your college, although I didn't even say it's bad or anything. Imperial sure as hell is a great college and for engineering (which I applied for) it may be a lot better than cambridge is. But I mean, that's not the point... I was talking about how weird it sounds to me when somebody's basis for choosing imperial is that goldman sachs recruits 10 students from IC every year... or the funding of some lab or whatever.
Apparently nobody answered to that because I was mistaken for madima which I can fully understand (actually... NO, I cant. Can't you read? It says "huhu" above my post)

See, that's the logic I can't understand: If I know I won't get free afternoons for the next 40 years, why would I consciously choose the university that has that as well? Really?
Although I have to say I agree with what you wrote... choosing Imperial over Cambridge is a matter of individual preference. I just can't understand how some the people in this thread made up their criteria

lol you cant understand how i actually want a degree that might somehow maybe slightly get me a frickin job?or allow me to engage in exciting and leading research? dude i dont give a **** how many people remember cambridge as the name on front of their dictionary or one of the boat racing teams. as for mistaking you for that other plum its simple, you have the same attitude.
Reply 139
*ArsENaL LovR4LyF* FAtzK
i need to change my signature :p: . people may think I'm upset at not getting Cam :p: lol. Trust, I got over it pretty quite. Only annoyed at HOW i found out and the STRESS of applying.

:rolleyes:

listen, i didn't mean to sound rude or arrogant or anything -- you attacked my post so i attacked yours. so for that, i'm sorry. (and yeah i chose oxford.)

solo2wolf
i could write a book about how much better Imperial is than Oxford

...and they called me igonrant.

solo2wolf
chemistboy,edders (went to Imperial as undergrad),cerise and cookiedough are the only ones i can think of of the bat

that bit made me laugh so much lolz. the fact that you remember these names...

P.S. i love the way you avoided the last paragraph of my post :rolleyes:.

Latest

Trending

Trending