The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
huhu
Please, just don't say Imperial is better than Oxbridge (or vice versa) in terms of career or research or whatever. It might be for you, but there's no objective figure that proves it true for everybody.

I dont see the point of arguing. If you perform well in any of those top institutions you will get successful jobs. They wont keep you out just because you are from Imperial and not Oxbridge and vice versa.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Just go where you like, however dont assume things about either.
Reply 162
huhu
I will probably be better off at cambridge as Im an engineer with interests in music, arts, politics... i would HATE to spend my whole day with transfer functions and hydrodynamics and the like.

I would recommend the American education system for you :smile:
Reply 163
huhu
No, I haven't. So you can apply for a placement in summertime... which I'm sure is possible for interested and motivated students at other universities as well. I haven't done any research on that matter but I reckon this is nothing that is exclusive to IC. Other than that: Who really cares about something like that? I wouldn't apply for this programme even if they paid me for doing so.

I don't think it's that common, but I'm sure the best places have something like it.

I understand, though, that you are the kind of person who is 100% focused on one subject and who wants to do the research at the nerdy institution.

I'd appreciate it if you'd restrict the insults to the vocal minority of Imperial zealots on here, rather then all of Imperial ;-). I'm bored of these arguments, they go round in circles, sensible points for discussion are ignored as the Imperial-fanatics latch onto the one dodgy argument and spew irrelevant statistics across the screen. People are rejected from Cambridge and come to Imperial, some are rejected from Imperial and go to Cambridge, many only apply to one of the two. Some have offers from both, and decide based on each university's merits (location etc). After about a month 99% of freshers decided they made the right choice, the remaining 1% seem like the kind of people who wouldn't be happy anywhere anyway.

That's fine and if you're happy at IC it's great but you have to admit that IC is not everybody's taste. I will probably be better off at cambridge as Im an engineer with interests in music, arts, politics... i would HATE to spend my whole day with transfer functions and hydrodynamics and the like.

There are plenty of good societies at Imperial and Cambridge, you don't need to worry about that :-). There are also students who have better things to do than flame people online all day.

Please, just don't say Imperial is better than Oxbridge (or vice versa) in terms of career or research or whatever. It might be for you, but there's no objective figure that proves it true for everybody.
huhu
No, I haven't. So you can apply for a placement in summertime... which I'm sure is possible for interested and motivated students at other universities as well. I haven't done any research on that matter but I reckon this is nothing that is exclusive to IC. Other than that: Who really cares about something like that? I wouldn't apply for this programme even if they paid me for doing so.

I understand, though, that you are the kind of person who is 100% focused on one subject and who wants to do the research at the nerdy institution. That's fine and if you're happy at IC it's great but you have to admit that IC is not everybody's taste. I will probably be better off at cambridge as Im an engineer with interests in music, arts, politics... i would HATE to spend my whole day with transfer functions and hydrodynamics and the like.

They have UROP at all respectable institutions including Cambridge. That was not the matter in question it was that you did not believe that research mattered for undergrads.

Right... I play a couple of instruments, sport and debate YET I still want to go to Imperial.

And Oxbridge is not for everybody. A fair amount of people in this forum alone did get offers from Oxbridge and did not take because it was not for them.

Imperial is not for everyone and Oxbridge is not either.
Reply 165
Interesting arguing, however pointless. If you have offer from uni which you want to go to you will be happy and nobody will make you to think some other uni is better FOR YOU. I got offer from Imperial and little regret not applying for Cambridge (at the time I applied it was after the deadline) but after all, many think Imperial is equal or even better in computing, so what now? In my country when I say I would like to go to ICL, nobody knows what is it like but who cares? People who matter know (at least you guys say so) and that's important for me. I wouldn't make mistake with either of them, but Imperial is in London so it's even better for me I think. Nobody will persuade me that I made mistake of my life as I have already applied and don't intend to wait one year just to change my choices. And at the end, this is an undergraduate course, if you want, you can try a lot and get to other uni as postgraduate... :smile:
Master Polhem
I thought we were friends... :frown:

yeah, well.
lol [but ur reply was so hypocritical :p: but i get it...on TSR one can be anything]

We are. At times. When you aren't being your extreme self. :p: [i.e. a outright meanie :rolleyes: ]

omg. Monday is Lit A1 Paper 1. ****!

Me is screwed.
Reply 167
huhu
I understand, though, that you are the kind of person who is 100% focused on one subject and who wants to do the research at the nerdy institution. That's fine and if you're happy at IC it's great but you have to admit that IC is not everybody's taste. I will probably be better off at cambridge as Im an engineer with interests in music, arts, politics... i would HATE to spend my whole day with transfer functions and hydrodynamics and the like.

Hey huhu, Have you got into Cambridge?? As an international student myself, I think Cambridge will be a better place if you only consider to study in UK, since it looks like you have a passion for science/engineering but still unsure which one specifically. In terms academics, you can explore yourself in your first year and then specialize later, so you can gain some breadth first before you get your depth. Secondly, Cambridge has good programs in music, arts, and politics, and maybe you will have the chance to study with their faculty members too. You will be able to study with many brilliant students from around the world, simply because it's much much more difficult to get in for internationals outside Europe than to Imperial, and these international people really want to study with the best in the world. Secondly, Cambridge will have no doubt more world renowned faculty members or connections, so you have the chance to study with the very best, like Nobel Prize scientists or Field medal mathematicians. That's more or less for academia of course. This will help you greatly if you wanna pursue a PhD with a solid chance at many prestigious universities in the world later on.

Career-wise, even if you are only considering job in the UK, there will be really no difference if you choose either of them. It's more up to your own performance at both universities.

However, academia aside, I'd say Imperial probably has more connections with London's top tier financial and science companies. So, in this respect maybe you can get more industrial experience while as an undergraduate, which is invaluable if you want to get a good job immediately after college. Besides, Imperial has a good business school funded by an Asian, with many programs like entrepreneurship, so you can really learn a lot not just engineering, but business too. So, in short, I would say Imperial is better than Cambridge for the business and industrial experience it can offer you in London.

Of course, choosing Imperial over Cambridge or the other way around really wouldn't make a huge difference in your future career, since they are both at least good enough to give you a good education (Imperial is the only university in UK next to Oxbridge outside US to get into the top 25 (23rd place) globally based on Shanghai Jiao Tong's ranking on academic performance such as no. of world renowned faculties/alumni (Nobel or Field medal winners) and contribution to sciences in general (no. of publications in world renowned journal like Science or Nature), no. of highly cited researchers, and so on). So, they are both world class, Cambridge or Imperial, in terms of their academic caliber and thus education they can offer you. Why don't you just visit both places to see which one fits you best? I am sure it's a much better way than asking students online. Visit both and see if you like the atmosphere for example, and ask the faculties around about their own university, and also the other one (Cambridge or Imperial). See what they say and you will make up your mind which you won't regret later. :smile:
casparma
I am sure it's a much better way than asking students online.

word.
Reply 169
I actually have visited both of them when I had to do the interview at cam. As I said I preferred it over Imperial and it's most definitely going to be my firm. I'm undecided wether I should put Bath or Imperial as insurance, which is due to the fact that my IMC offer can't be entitled as "insurance" (Cam wants 1.1 with 1 in four subjects and IMC wants 1.2 with 1 in the very same four subjects). Other than that, I'm taking these videos into consideration:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMAQX9f8_4Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2pInTjo87Y&feature=related
*gg*
Maybe I'm too romantic, but I don't care too much about the whole academic side. Obviously I want to study at a top institution but it's not the center of my life. I decided to apply to Cam like two weeks on the deadline and tbh I was just lucky to get an offer. Cam just seems like the place with more distraction to me, IMC appeared to be more of the hard working type of uni *gg*
What is IMC - totally lost.
Reply 171
Master Polhem
What is IMC - totally lost.

IMC is the abbreviation for Imperial College, although it is very likely that i just made that up in my mind :biggrin:
huhu
IMC is the abbreviation for Imperial College, although it is very likely that i just made that up in my mind :biggrin:

So you used the first two letters (I and M) but then proceeded to only use the C in the latter word. Logic. Completely ignoring the normal practice.

:biggrin:

(I am only having a laugh chill with the pill)
Reply 173
Hmm,, I don't know if Cambridge is a party school, but I am sure they have some hot girls there.... Don't know whether or not they are obedient to guys though ;-)
Reply 174
huhu

I'm afraid that's entirely in your head :p:

Either "Imperial", "IC", or less commonly nowadays "ICL".
Reply 175
huhu
*gg*
Maybe I'm too romantic, but I don't care too much about the whole academic side. Obviously I want to study at a top institution but it's not the center of my life. I decided to apply to Cam like two weeks on the deadline and tbh I was just lucky to get an offer. Cam just seems like the place with more distraction to me, IMC appeared to be more of the hard working type of uni *gg*

You think you won't have to work hard at Cambridge? Yeah, good luck with that. :p:
Reply 176
HCD
You think you won't have to work hard at Cambridge? Yeah, good luck with that. :p:

*gg* ? :smile:
Reply 177
Peel
*gg* ? :smile:

What does that even mean? :confused:
HCD

exactly. I was just going to ask that myself.

*gg*?
please explain
Reply 179
HCD

I think it means "good game". It's often said in a sarcastic manner (as in this case), where the user believes they've made a convicing argument and says "gg" to denote that the argument is over / a counter-argument can't be made.

Although I could be very wrong about this, I think it's what huhu meant...

Latest

Trending

Trending