The Student Room Group

Hardest A Level chemistry questions to push to an A* grade

With my first chemistry exam in a few days, what are some of the hardest a level questions ever asked or could be asked? I'm studying OCR A, but I'm sure questions from other syllabuses would be of great value.
Great, maybe you can help me solve some :smile:
Can you help me with this one please?
http://prntscr.com/jpjedo
Reply 2
Original post by Grizzelex
Great, maybe you can help me solve some :smile:
Can you help me with this one please?
http://prntscr.com/jpjedo

Calculate moles of O2, then double it for oxygen ions. Calculate moles of 1 gram of each metal. Then see what matches, remembering that if the metal is group 1, then there'll be two metal ions for each oxygen ion. The answer is calcium I believe.
Original post by Thizzumri
Calculate moles of O2, then double it for oxygen ions. Calculate moles of 1 gram of each metal. Then see what matches, remembering that if the metal is group 1, then there'll be two metal ions for each oxygen ion. The answer is calcium I believe.

Yes, that's it! But why double the moles?
Reply 4
Original post by Grizzelex
Yes, that's it! But why double the moles?

O2 + 4e– --> 2 O2–
O2 + 4e– --> 2 O2–

Thank you.
This question is from an AQA exam, it seems really easy but I still can't find a solution for it. Can you get the answer???
Screen Shot 2018-06-01 at 17.13.12.png
Reply 7
Original post by makami11
This question is from an AQA exam, it seems really easy but I still can't find a solution for it. Can you get the answer???
Screen Shot 2018-06-01 at 17.13.12.png

I got C. Using the ideal gas equation, you can work out the number of moles of gas. You've got 0.170 dm3 of gas. Substitute and rearrange the equation to find moles. Then, substitute this value for moles into the ideal gas equation, this time using the volume value of 0.5, and you rearrange to find p (I calculated it with atm rather than kPa, meaning I had to divide by 100 initially, then multiply by 100 at the end)
Reply 8
An easier way to find the answer if you spot it. Treat the initial volume as 0.17dm3. The final volume is 0.5. So 0.5/0.17 shows you by what factor the pressure decreases. 100÷(0.5/.17) gives you 34.
An easier way to find the answer if you spot it. Treat the initial volume as 0.17dm3. The final volume is 0.5. So 0.5/0.17 shows you by what factor the pressure decreases. 100÷(0.5/.17) gives you 34.

Ok hat off to you for 2 solutions! The first one seems so long for a 1 marker, think I had only 30 sec left to answer it. Thanks it does make a lot of sense now
Reply 10
Original post by makami11
Ok hat off to you for 2 solutions! The first one seems so long for a 1 marker, think I had only 30 sec left to answer it. Thanks it does make a lot of sense now

Yeah, with multiple choice questions, if you think your method will take too long, that's generally because there's a quicker way to do it.

Quick Reply

Latest