The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Looking at these forums depresses me lol!

Then stop looking at them.
Reply 21
Really, don't let it get you down. That's a mistake I made when I first came here. It certainly is a shock but the fact is that there are going to be smarter people around anyway; it just seems that TSR brings them out and sticks them in front of you.

Your GCSE predictions are good, and if you had the motivation to work really hard for the next few months (if you're taking them in the summer that is) then you can make them even better. Beyond that focus on getting some good A-levels and you'll be fine and be able to choose from some good universities.

Basically, ignore the rest on here, and focus on you and doing as well as you can, or want to.

Good luck.
Reply 22
I felt like everyone here outdid me as well - I got 2 As, 2 Bs, 5 Cs and a D but it hasn't stopped me. I've just worked hard at A-level and now I have places at uni. I learnt to stop comparing myself to others because there's always going to be that smug git who is naturally good at exams and gets all A*s. I've had to accept that I'm not one of those people. What do you enjoy studying? - Since nobody can really tell you what you would like doing from your GCSEs.
And remember that TSR dis not representative of the general student population since this is a student forum so the people here are here because they're enthusiastic about studying and are academic. Your GCSE results are better than good so don't worry - it looks like you're capable of whatever you set your mind to! Good luck with your exams x
Reply 23
I got mainly B's for GCSE a few A's and 1 A*.. I was estatic with these grades.. in comparison to many folk on here I am the 'runt of the litter'! I wouldn't worry about it.. they're just got amazingly good grades...Sometimes I wonder if they make it up..- please don't beat me up lol
Reply 24
Tallon
I was under the impression C was good because C and above is pass and therefore shows knoledge of the subject. I don't mind people being clever, but when they complain because an A is not good enough, just to show off, that makes me feel bad. I think wisbech and the whole norfoik area I come from is statistically the dumbest area of England though, so I've done quite well lol. Most of us are farmers 'ere.

i'm from march, near wisbech. universities know how awful it is around here, that's why i got a place at london school of economics! :smile:
Reply 25
Jessikar
This girl in my school really ****s me off. Shes clever yeah, but she always goes on about how "rubbish" her grades are! I think shes predicted:

Maths: A/A*
Physics: A*
Chemistry: A
Bilogy: A*
Additional Science: A*
Englsih Lit: A*
English lang: A*
History: A*
German A*
French: A*
I.C.T A

And she thinks that's bad? I'm barely going to scrap an A in some things. B in most and she talks about it like people who get grades like me are thick.

well she's allowed. I'm a genuinely pissed off with my maths module results:
C1: 100% (not this one obviously)
C2: 99%
FP1: 95% (GODDAMNIT)
M1: 97% (meh)
S1: 93% (shiver)

now most people would think those are excellent, but there not up to my standards. Just because someone else gets worse marks and can;t do what I do doesn;t mean I'm not allowed to be pissed off. Going by your reasoning, only the person with the very worst GCSE results in the country is allowed to be annoyed, cause otherwise they're atleast beating SOMEONE.
Reply 26
rarara2
i'm from march, near wisbech. universities know how awful it is around here, that's why i got a place at london school of economics! :smile:

Good to hear. Lol, Jesus don't ever go to Wisbech it's an absolute dump. It's just unfair really that some places are so much better than others. I suppose univerisities do the same courses though ultimately.

and mojo mate, that's why people here get annoyed. That is showing off, seriously.
JoMo1
well she's allowed. I'm a genuinely pissed off with my maths module results:
C1: 100% (not this one obviously)
C2: 99%
FP1: 95% (GODDAMNIT)
M1: 97% (meh)
S1: 93% (shiver)

now most people would think those are excellent, but there not up to my standards. Just because someone else gets worse marks and can;t do what I do doesn;t mean I'm not allowed to be pissed off. Going by your reasoning, only the person with the very worst GCSE results in the country is allowed to be annoyed, cause otherwise they're atleast beating SOMEONE.

That's fair enough I suppose; I wasn't too pleased with my C3 result (worse than all of yours), but you have to be aware that complaining about it on here will annoy others who didn't do as well. :wink:
Reply 28
Tallon
Good to hear. Lol, Jesus don't ever go to Wisbech it's an absolute dump. It's just unfair really that some places are so much better than others. I suppose univerisities do the same courses though ultimately.

and mojo mate, that's why people here get annoyed. That is showing off, seriously.

no its not showing off because i didn't do amazingly in gcses and a-levels. i'm just saying that its easier for us to get into good unis because of where we're from.
Reply 29
rarara2
no its not showing off because i didn't do amazingly in gcses and a-levels. i'm just saying that its easier for us to get into good unis because of where we're from.

People here who get 12A*s or whatever, what jobs do they want to get?
Tallon
People here who get 12A*s or whatever, what jobs do they want to get?

A fair few want to work in IB (investment banking), medicine and law, but there are also those who want to work as teachers and less financially lucrative careers (but maybe more fulfilling in other ways).
Reply 31
OP don't get discouraged by the abundance of high achievers on here - if anything use it as a motive to do just as well! When I stumbled across TSR I thought I had done alright getting mostly As at GCSE, but my grades look pretty terrible compared to the majority, and this drove me to get 4 As at AS.

I really wouldn't worry about it at all, everyone has different goals, and theres no reason why you won't exceed yours!
Reply 32
Well I got 1A, 1B and 7Cs at GCSE. Got an A and C at ASlevel then got a place at one of the best drama schools in the country - so grades arent everything. Obviously for most careers they are, but I seriously wouldnt be put off going for a degree in maths/accounting. GCSE's dont really count for much anyway. Your results are very good and would certainly help your applications. Dont be put off by some of the ultra high marks of people on here. It annoyed me at first - but I realised that I worked to the best of my ability (I had to do my gcse's in a year because I was ill) and Im really pleased with my results. Dont let people on here put you off and make sure you tell yourself that you are working really hard and are doing very well. Dont let a few people on an internet forum stop you from following the path you want to take.
Get the best grades you possibly can it puts you in good stead and in a good frame of mind for A levels just don't get complacent. I got 6 B's 3C's and 2 Merits and missed a load of school. But now i'm at A levels i'll get AAA or AAB and some dismal English Lit As lol.

The better you do the less you have to prove to admissions people.
Reply 34
I believe you just have to be pleased with what YOU got. After all, that's all that matters. You could compare your grades to everyone elses all the time, but it's not going to do anything.

As long as you've done your best, and that's what you need for university or a job then that's great! :smile:

I sometimes think my GCSE's are a bit naff. I got 2B's, 7 C's, 1 D and an F. At the end of the day though, I'm pleased with what I got. I met the requirements for sixth form and university. I can even compare one of my grade C's, as I was the only one in my GCSE French to get a C. It's not an A or a B but I'm happy with that.

I compared myself with my A2 results in English Language. I got a D, 3 marks off a C. Whereas the rest of the class got A's and B's. I felt really down the day I found out. But, they're my results and I'm expecting to get a C. It's what I hope to achieve, and I'll be so happy if I manage to get that.
I know I'm not going to get more than one A at A level. If I work hard enough I could get an A in Sociology, C in English Language and a C or even a B in Law. I'm happy because they're mine and I worked for them. :smile:
Reply 35
I appreciate all the comments. A lot of you people are right. I wouldn't say the people here are outliers in terms of the distrubution of the nation acheiving though. I would say that people here are certainlly the better acheivers though. Yeah, I think I'll work hard and just do the best I can really. Ultimately it's all you can do really isnt it?
Haha, don't get annoyed because someone is clever than you. That's too tall an order to live by. Do something you enjoy at A level ... more that often these will be some of your best subjects anyway.
Reply 37
Well, I don't really enjoy maths and stats, as in, doing it for the sheer pleasure of it. But I do enjoy being able to take subjects like that which are hard and being able to do them, and I know the jobs you can get with them at good too.

erm, are A levels in economics and accounting that respectible to uni and jobs like that? I heard somewhere that people find physics a better A level to have on their CV. What about ICT too?
OP, someone will always be cleverer than you, and there isn't a whole lot you can do about that. If it's academic success you want, you'll have to work for it, and you can still go to good unis without having awesome GCSEs. Do well in your A Levels and you're halfway there :smile:

Sorry to be off topic OP, but I can't stand how people assume that you can't do well and not be a closeted geek with a deep seated passion for RPG games and Star Trek :rolleyes:

I got 13 good GCSEs, and am on track for A grades at A Level. Yet I do all the normal things with my mates, get with inappropriate people and party too hard as much as the next girl.
Reply 39
Sorry i'm new; what is OP?

I understand what you're saying though. You either study hard and people think you're a geek, or you don't and you get bad grades. I know which one i'd prefere to be though.

Latest

Trending

Trending