The Student Room Group

how hard is alevel maths only year 12 students cos new syllabus

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lolu123
how big is the jump in ur opinion

Not that bad. It is manageable especially since the new GCSE maths syllabus is harder so you're more prepared
Reply 81
Original post by blackvoid17
Not that bad. It is manageable especially since the new GCSE maths syllabus is harder so you're more prepared

thank you very much but didnt they make alevel maths harder too
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by lolu123
??

Well for edexcel it isn’t impossible. Yes the new syllabus now has a combination of mechanics and pure maths and possibly statistics (not sure about that one) but it won’t be hard as long as you work hard and practice. There’s no reason for you to fail if you work hard from day 1. I’ve seen how the questions are like for the new syllabus and they aren’t that hard as long as you work hard. I got a B for maths at GCSE but predicated an A for maths at A level. You can do this :smile:))
Hi
Y12
Do Maths AS on new spec
It's very easy, don't get mistaken, some topics are just based on upper end (grade 7-9) gcse, and you do come up to new topics, however if you got that grade at GCSE you should be able to take it on with no issues. A2 is different to AS though, but for year 1 do not worry at all. A lot of people here grossly overexaggerate the difficulty of year 1.

But in the end, choose what suits you best, because ultimately that's what you'll get the best grade in, if you like maths, do maths, a lot of the reason why people here find it hard and don't like it at a level is because they didn't take it because they don't actually like the subject to begin with.
Reply 84
Original post by thotproduct
Hi
Y12
Do Maths AS on new spec
It's very easy, don't get mistaken, some topics are just based on upper end (grade 7-9) gcse, and you do come up to new topics, however if you got that grade at GCSE you should be able to take it on with no issues. A2 is different to AS though, but for year 1 do not worry at all. A lot of people here grossly overexaggerate the difficulty of year 1.

But in the end, choose what suits you best, because ultimately that's what you'll get the best grade in, if you like maths, do maths, a lot of the reason why people here find it hard and don't like it at a level is because they didn't take it because they don't actually like the subject to begin with.

oh ok i kinda like maths
Original post by lolu123
oh ok i kinda like maths

taking an a level isn't really something u can do half heartedly, i kinda like philosophy, but these times im not doing any essay subjects or RS a level, you gotta think, is this something you wanna do for 2 years.
Reply 86
Original post by thotproduct
taking an a level isn't really something u can do half heartedly, i kinda like philosophy, but these times im not doing any essay subjects or RS a level, you gotta think, is this something you wanna do for 2 years.

yh kind off
Reply 87

stuff like this scare me
Original post by lolu123

stuff like this scare me

Ahahaha this was in my very first test at sixth form. Memories :moon: It's not as hard as it looks. It's all word illusion. It's essentially a completing the square question. A-level maths becomes nicer with practice

Spoiler

Reply 89
yh it does
If you work hard for it, you will find it easier. I dont think it matters too much what grade you got for GCSE maths. I got a 9 for gcse maths and im predicated an A/A*, but ive known people who got lower and is still predicted high.
Reply 91
Doing Edexcel fm so done all a level math already. Pretty easy tbh and didn't take much of my time. But what is scary is that we wouldn't know how the real paper looks like. The specimen paper given by the board is too easy and I don't think it helps.
Original post by lolu123
thank you very much but didnt they make alevel maths harder too

A little but a lot of it is quite similar to the old spec i think
Reply 93
A little but a lot of it is quite similar to the old spec i think

i heard there's problem solving
Original post by lolu123
i heard there's problem solving

There is but its just applying your knowledge to worded questions which you will practise a lot. In a way maths would be more boring if it didnt have any problem solving questions.
Reply 95
There is but its just applying your knowledge to worded questions which you will practise a lot. In a way maths would be more boring if it didnt have any problem solving questions.

is the problem solving difficult
Reply 96
Original post by lolu123

By definition, yes! That's the entire point of problem-solving. You do it in GCSE. Worrying about it this much isn't going to help you get better at maths. The more you do, the better you get.
Reply 97
Original post by Sinnoh
By definition, yes! That's the entire point of problem-solving. You do it in GCSE. Worrying about it this much isn't going to help you get better at maths. The more you do, the better you get.

thank you for ur help
Original post by lolu123

Some of it can be but don't let that stop you from taking maths
Reply 99
Some of it can be but don't let that stop you from taking maths

i give up easily if i don't understand

Quick Reply

Latest