The Student Room Group

My teacher has sent my coursework off as a D

So I do English lit as an a level and we have coursework. I didn’t get much help with mine compared to other people and I recently found out that mine was chosen to get sent off (do the teachers choose who’s gets sent off?). Anyway I need a B in English to get onto my course at uni and I can’t resit next year I don’t think, but even if I got the Opportunity I probably wouldn’t resit anyway. I’m just stressing because I don’t think I’ll get into uni now due to my exams not going well and my poor coursework mark. I just don’t understand why she’s sent it off as a D, surely she’d want me to get the best grade possible and I know for a fact that a D isn’t the best grade I could get. Is there anything I can do or is that it??
Original post by Anonymous7634
So I do English lit as an a level and we have coursework. I didn’t get much help with mine compared to other people and I recently found out that mine was chosen to get sent off (do the teachers choose who’s gets sent off?). Anyway I need a B in English to get onto my course at uni and I can’t resit next year I don’t think, but even if I got the Opportunity I probably wouldn’t resit anyway. I’m just stressing because I don’t think I’ll get into uni now due to my exams not going well and my poor coursework mark. I just don’t understand why she’s sent it off as a D, surely she’d want me to get the best grade possible and I know for a fact that a D isn’t the best grade I could get. Is there anything I can do or is that it??

Your teacher has marked it as a D and in most schools coursework is moderated internally by another member of staff to ensure marks are awarded correctly.

The examiners request named samples of the high and low graded work so that their experts can review it to confirm correct marking is being done in your school. If they think they have under or overmarked the samples they will adjust the marks for everyone.

The time to appeal your personal mark was before it was sent off to the examiners. There's nothing you can do now except hope the examiners think your teachers are under marking the work and move you up.
Original post by gdunne42
Your teacher has marked it as a D and in most schools coursework is moderated internally by another member of staff to ensure marks are awarded correctly.

The examiners request named samples of the high and low graded work so that their experts can review it to confirm correct marking is being done in your school. If they think they have under or overmarked the samples they will adjust the marks for everyone.

The time to appeal your personal mark was before it was sent off to the examiners. There's nothing you can do now except hope the examiners think your teachers are under marking the work and move you up.

What do you mean appeal my personal mark?? I didn’t get a say in changing my grade, I got told the day it got sent off?? Thankyou anyway
Original post by Anonymous7634
What do you mean appeal my personal mark?? I didn’t get a say in changing my grade, I got told the day it got sent off?? Thankyou anyway

Although teachers are limited in how much help they can give students with coursework it's kind of unsual to have no idea what your teachers think of your work and what grade is likely to be until after it is sent off. You could raise your concern with your teacher and ask them to justify the D grade, but I don't know if there's a way to change the grade they have submitted if they agree it's too low.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by gdunne42
Although teachers are limited in how much help they can give students with coursework it's kind of unsual to have no idea what your teachers think of your work and what grade is likely to be until after it is sent off. You could raise your concern with your teacher and ask them to justify the D grade, but I don't know if there's a way to change the grade they have submitted if they agree it's too low.

Ah, I’ll speak to her on monday thankyou! Just very frustrating knowing that she’s sent me in with a D when she’s sent others in with the best possible grade haha

Quick Reply

Latest