The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Various accommodation questions

I plan to do Computer Science at Warwick, and I've been trying to decide on accommodation options, but I have a few questions, and I was wondering if anyone could help. My main 2 options are currently Claycroft and Tocil since they seem to be closest to what I think is the Computer Science building, assuming that is even the building I'll be going to the most. I'm worried about how far the Lakeside Village, and perhaps also Cryfield village, are from general points on Campus (and perhaps especially the shopping centre), and I'm wondering how much of a hassle they actually are.

Firstly, is the triangle of accommodations near Rootes and the Student Union excessively loud? I wouldn't necessarily want to be in an area full of loud drunk people; However I also spend a lot of time playing video games, so I don't know if I'd be disrupting other people if I'm voice chatting in an especially quiet accommodation.

Next, if I go for an accommodation with a 35 week let length (that requires you to clear out during Easter), what would I have to do with my belongings? Are there provided places where you could leave stuff? If so, is it safe and secure? How much storage space are you provided, and where is it located?

If you're sharing a bathroom with 5-6 people, how likely is it to be busy when you need it? Will it be a hassle for people to schedule their timings around each other?

Finally, how would you compare shopping at the shopping centre vs. the Rootes store?

Many thanks
(edited 5 years ago)
bump
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by UnidentifiedBody
I plan to do Computer Science at Warwick, and I've been trying to decide on accommodation options, but I have a few questions, and I was wondering if anyone could help. My main 2 options are currently Claycroft and Tocil since they seem to be closest to what I think is the Computer Science building, assuming that is even the building I'll be going to the most. I'm worried about how far the Lakeside Village, and perhaps also Cryfield village, are from general points on Campus (and perhaps especially the shopping centre), and I'm wondering how much of a hassle they actually are.

Claycroft is definitely the closest accommodation to both DCS and Tesco, which makes it a pretty neat location. However I wouldn't put too much importance in being close to the DCS building. I had most of my lectures in there, but for example I also had a day last year with four lectures in a row in Humanities, WBS, Maths and DCS respectively. So it's a lottery. The new building you guys will be getting next year means you'll probably have a lot of stuff in there but that's just my opinion. In 2nd, 3rd and 4th year I lived in Leamington Spa. In the mornings the commute would take me between 45 mins and an hour. So after a while, you'll start wondering why you were worrying about trying to cut down a 10 minute walk to 5 minutes in first year :tongue:

The walk from Cryfield to Tesco is about 15-20 mins which imo is pretty short. I did the walk from the Library to Tesco every day of exams which is only a couple of minutes shorter. Lakeside is a little further out but I wouldn't call it unmanageable.

The only time when a long walk is a problem is if you've got to carry a big weekly shop back. In those cases, you could order online to get around the issue.

Firstly, is the triangle of accommodations near Rootes and the Student Union excessively loud? I wouldn't necessarily want to be in an area full of loud drunk people; However I also spend a lot of time playing video games, so I don't know if I'd be disrupting other people if I'm voice chatting in an especially quiet accommodation.

There's always been a bit of a reputation for Rootes and the like for being the "party halls". Personally I lived in Rootes and never really got that feeling. Every hall has its two extremes between uber quiet and uber loud in certain places. I don't know if the accommodation process still works the same, but it used to be that you write a little statement and they'd try to group you with similar people. Be honest in that statement about what you want, what your interests (e.g. the gaming) are and they'll hopefully do a good job.

Next, if I go for an accommodation with a 35 week let length (that requires you to clear out during Easter), what would I have to do with my belongings? Are there provided places where you could leave stuff? If so, is it safe and secure? How much storage space are you provided, and where is it located?

They usually provide a little lock up cupboard for you but its very small and will maybe fit a duvet and some other small bits. For the most part, you'll have to fully move out your stuff and bring it back after the holidays. I usually do this anyway when I move out of my places coz I like to have everything with me at all times, so it might not be too much of an inconvenience for you.

If you're sharing a bathroom with 5-6 people, how likely is it to be busy when you need it? Will it be a hassle for people to schedule their timings around each other?

I had no problems sharing in halls at all. We had two showers and two toilets between us and I don't ever remember having to wait excessively. I'm so pleased I saved the money. The toilet was professionally cleaned every single day of the working week.

Finally, how would you compare shopping at the shopping centre vs. the Rootes store?

Many thanks

Unfortunately TSR has a swear filter so I won't be able to express my true opinions of the Rootes store :tongue: It's terrible, in short. The products are cheap trash but at insanely marked up prices. The fruit is basically rotten half the time. The choice is abysmal. I could go on... Avoid it like the plague and stick to Tesco or Aldi in Cannon Park.
Reply 3
I've just finished my first year at Warwick, so I'll share a few things I've learned. I stayed in Cryfield (not Cryfield Village - that's still being built), which has lots of people sharing a bathroom and kitchen. On my floor, there are 20 people sharing 4 toilets, 3 showers, and 2 kitchens. I have never had to wait for a shower, and only once for the toilet. Having 10 people in a kitchen sounds hectic, but it's actually brilliant. You'll spend a lot of time in your kitchen, so the more people in it the greater the chance of finding good friends. I highly recommend choosing halls with large kitchens.

I wouldn't worry about walking distances too much. You'll never need to walk more than 20 minutes to get anywhere, including Westwood and Cannon Park. In regards to Cannon Park, this is where most people do their shopping. There's an Aldi, a Tesco, an Iceland and a Wilko and Boots, so there's everything you need. I only buy small things at Rootes, when I can't be bothered walking to Aldi for it, like bread and milk. I'm told it has an excellent Chinese food aisle, but as I'm not Chinese, it means nothing to me.

Cryfield is the shorter let, so you're required to clear your things out at Easter. HOWEVER, they only want the rooms cleared if they're going to house people visiting for conferences. If there's no need, you don't have to clear everything out, which was the case for me. You can't get in over the holiday, but you can leave all your stuff there.

I don't think you're interested in en suite, but to anyone reading, really think about whether it's worth another £2,000 or whatever. You probably share a bathroom at home, it's no different.
Thanks so much for the detailed responses. What should I be looking at when deciding where to stay then, since this has thrown off a lot of my earlier thoughts? How cheap should you go before the places start becoming less nice? I just don't know what to look for anymore.
Reply 5
Original post by UnidentifiedBody
Thanks so much for the detailed responses. What should I be looking at when deciding where to stay then, since this has thrown off a lot of my earlier thoughts? How cheap should you go before the places start becoming less nice? I just don't know what to look for anymore.

I think the most important factor is the people you're staying with. If you like them, you'll have a good time wherever you are. If you don't, you could struggle. Therefore I'd try and maximise the amount of people you're living with, to maximise the chances of finding real friends. You'll spend lots of time in your kitchen, so kitchen size would be my number 1 factor.

Quick Reply

Latest