The Student Room Group

Costs of living in the UK for 2 person

Hey there, I am an international student coming to the UK to further my studies this coming September. My plan is to attend the same university in the UK together with a close friend of mine, and we have both gotten our offers, and boiled down our options to just 2 in mind.

Both of us are privately sponsored, but my friend would only be paid for her tuition fees excluding living costs. On the other hand, I would be fully sponsored (more than enough for a student living in the UK, let's just say around 20,000 GBP a year).

I have thought about it thoroughly and I don't mind covering her living costs as long as we get to study together. What would you say? Would it be possible? What if we live in the same space, would it be cheaper? Could you give an example in terms of spending so that I could look at it in a bigger picture? What about part-time jobs?
Original post by AverageStuden
Hey there, I am an international student coming to the UK to further my studies this coming September. My plan is to attend the same university in the UK together with a close friend of mine, and we have both gotten our offers, and boiled down our options to just 2 in mind.

Both of us are privately sponsored, but my friend would only be paid for her tuition fees excluding living costs. On the other hand, I would be fully sponsored (more than enough for a student living in the UK, let's just say around 20,000 GBP a year).

I have thought about it thoroughly and I don't mind covering her living costs as long as we get to study together. What would you say? Would it be possible? What if we live in the same space, would it be cheaper? Could you give an example in terms of spending so that I could look at it in a bigger picture? What about part-time jobs?
Hi @AverageStuden

Congratulations on being accepted for a full sponsorship!

You haven't specified which universities you have received offers from, but as a current student at the University of Hertfordshire, I can offer guidance specific to my institution.

Living together with your friend can help reduce costs, especially if you share accommodation. The university offers various accommodation options suitable for different budgets and preferences. You can explore the available options on the university's accommodation page here.

With your comprehensive sponsorship, you could consider shared accommodation off-campus, or explore options like student halls, which often provide cost-effective living arrangements. By living together, you can split expenses such as rent, utilities, and groceries, making it more affordable for both of you.

In terms of part-time jobs, the University of Hertfordshire is located in a region with numerous opportunities for part-time employment. The Careers and Employment Services at the university offers support and resources to help students find part-time work alongside their studies. You can learn more about part-time job opportunities and support services available here.

Feel free to ask if you have any further questions or need assistance with anything else!

-Natacha
2nd year Dietetics student
University of Hertfordshire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending