The Student Room Group

Biochemistry at Oxford

Hi! I was thinking about apply for biochem at oxford but i’ve got completely different advice from the oxbridge advisors. One said I stand a very good chance of getting in, while the other said that I shouldn’t bother applying at all as it is an unwritten rule that they don’t accept people without A Level Maths. (Anyone currently studying at oxford know if this is true?)

My grades are 9 8 8, 5 A*, 2 A, 1 B (german) at GCSE.
I do Biology, Chemistry, and English Combined at A level, and i got A* A* A in the year 12 mocks (A in chemistry). (plus i’m thinking about doing an EPQ)

I got an 8 in gcse maths but is it even worth applying without alevel?

Thanks for helping!!
So...what do Oxford say? You don't even mention that in your post!
Original post by Artisticweapon
(Anyone currently studying at oxford know if this is true?)

So far, I’ve never come across someone (active user) who’s doing biochem at oxford here on TSR.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Çharizard
So far, I’ve never come across someone (active user) who’s doing biochem at oxford here on TSR.

What are you doing? Thought you were studying biochem?
Original post by ProRoadman
What are you doing? Thought you were studying biochem?

Nope :charm:
Reply 5
Nope :charm:

Are you applying for it this year?
Original post by Sinnoh

Nope. I’m currently in Y12, so it’s gonna be next year and no, I’ll be applying for a chem/physics course instead.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Sinnoh

Are you? :charm: If yes, for what subject?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
Nope. I’m currently at Y12, so it’s gonna be next year and no, I’ll be applying for a chem/physics course instead.

Well I meant the year 2018 because the Oxbridge deadline is October. Cambridge's Natural Sciences course appeals to me more, I'm currently debating between physics and engineering.

OP, you got the exact same set of GCSE grades I did. I believe if something is an actual requirement, they'll state so on the website. The advisors you asked - are they from those universities? Ask at an open day, that's your best bet.
Original post by Sinnoh
Well I meant the year 2018 because the Oxbridge deadline is October. Cambridge's Natural Sciences course appeals to me more, I'm currently debating between physics and engineering.

OP, you got the exact same set of GCSE grades I did. I believe if something is an actual requirement, they'll state so on the website. The advisors you asked - are they from those universities? Ask at an open day, that's your best bet.

I’ll be applying to uni in 2019 (for 2020 intake).
Ah I see, good luck for your application!

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by nexttime
So...what do Oxford say? You don't even mention that in your post!

they say it’s “strongly recommended- not needed but would make an application more competitive”
they say it’s “strongly recommended- not needed but would make an application more competitive”

Then you have your answer.

If you want further info i suggest contacting them, attending an open day, or if you're very keen you could submit a Freedom of Information request for the success rates of candidates who do and do not have maths.

We would agree. While it is possible to gain a place without Mathematics at A-level, in our experience this is quite rare. For guidance, across all colleges of students studying A-level combinations we think something like 1 or 2 in every 50 offer holders have not studied Maths to A-level. Hence as the Department says on its website, while not essential: "Maths to A-level or the equivalent is very helpful to students in completing the course and, although not required for admission, may make an application more competitive."

Note that this observation applies only to students studying A-levels. For guidance on other qualifications (eg IB and Maths at SL or HL), we would suggest approaching Biochemistry over what "Maths to A-level or the equivalent" means:

http://www.bioch.ox.ac.uk/undergraduate/ug_admissions
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by citrus.tea
Hi! I was thinking about apply for biochem at oxford but i’ve got completely different advice from the oxbridge advisors. One said I stand a very good chance of getting in, while the other said that I shouldn’t bother applying at all as it is an unwritten rule that they don’t accept people without A Level Maths. (Anyone currently studying at oxford know if this is true?)

My grades are 9 8 8, 5 A*, 2 A, 1 B (german) at GCSE.
I do Biology, Chemistry, and English Combined at A level, and i got A* A* A in the year 12 mocks (A in chemistry). (plus i’m thinking about doing an EPQ)

I got an 8 in gcse maths but is it even worth applying without alevel?

Thanks for helping!!

Hey, what college are you applying to at Oxford for biochem? :smile:
Original post by jklasjrkx123
Hey, what college are you applying to at Oxford for biochem? :smile:

Hey! I ended up applying for straight biology in the end, to Balliol :smile: You?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending