The Student Room Group

Speaking and listening exam

I have a speaking and listening exam soon but I won’t be in on the day. I just wanted to ask what would happen if I don’t turn up, would I still have to do the exam?
Original post by AggaD
I have a speaking and listening exam soon but I won’t be in on the day. I just wanted to ask what would happen if I don’t turn up, would I still have to do the exam?

Assuming it’s for your gcse English language?
Yes, you’re still going to have to take it for your actual gcse. You should probably let the school know that you’re missing it so they can rearrange it for another date; I think with my year everyone did it in the summer term with people who missed it doing it in October.
Reply 2
The speaking and listening exam that I have to do is the English speaking and listening exam but I’ve been told by the teachers that the exam is pretty irrelevant, that it doesn’t go towards our English Literature or English Language grade. But I won’t be able to attend on the day because I have a hospital appointment and I just wanted to know if I would still have to do it the next day or any other day after.
Reply 3
Original post by Toastiekid
Assuming it’s for your gcse English language?
Yes, you’re still going to have to take it for your actual gcse. You should probably let the school know that you’re missing it so they can rearrange it for another date; I think with my year everyone did it in the summer term with people who missed it doing it in October.

I’ve been told by my teacher that it doesn’t go towards our English Literature or English Language grade and that it also has complete irrelevance in the future. So our teacher just said to do it and get it out of the way but I wanted to know if I don’t come in would I still have to do it, taking in the fact there’s no point in really doing the exam.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
I think it’s not a main gcse but I’m not exactly sure. But thanks anyway.
Reply 5
Let’s say if it wasn’t a main gcse and what grade you get for it has no relevance and I don’t come in, do you think I would still need to take the exam?
Original post by AggaD
I’ve been told by my teacher that it doesn’t go towards our English Literature or English Language grade and that it also has complete irrelevance in the future. So our teacher just said to do it and get it out of the way but I wanted to know if I don’t come in would I still have to do it, taking in the fact there’s no point in really doing the exam.

Yes, it's part of your English gcse but doesn't contribute towards the grade. I'm not sure if it's completely necessary but I know that everyone at my school had to do it, regardless of whether they were in school for the first exam date. It's fairly pointless but if you get a high mark on it then surely it'll show you as articulate and a good speaker. If you're really not wanting to do it then you could check on your exam board's English language page as they'll detail all the expectations for it (and probably whether it's necessary) or ask a teacher when you're back at school.

Quick Reply

Latest