The Student Room Group

How many books do you read per week, on average?

For leisure and studies? I try to read one book a week at the very least, although sometimes it can take me 2-3 weeks to finish certain things. I've been reading Gulliver's Travels for what seems like months now, and I've not touched anything else since I started it.. I need to sort myself out, really. How many books per week are you expected to read on your course, if applicable?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have to read 3 - 4 books a week for uni. Whether I actually get around to reading them is another question. I read very slowly, so when I'm reading for leisure in the holidays I only get through a couple.
Reply 2
Probably about 0.1. I really think I should read more, but I find fiction a bit boring to be honest. My concentration just goes in pages and then my eyes read but my mind is elsewhere. I guess I'm a product of this generation.
1 a week or less, at the moment. In summer, about 2-3. I should be reading 2-3 for English Lit Synoptic.

I very rarely read books/magazines as I get bored really quickly, and books never seem to sustain my attention for long.
I have to read articles and journals rather than books for my course too, and even then I only read the relevant bits.
Reply 5
Probably more like 1 every 2 months. It depends. I only seem to have time to read in the holidays.
Reply 6
0 :frown:
Outside of my course, it usually takes me about three weeks to read a book.
Depends. When I'm off in the holidays, it can be anything from 2-6, but when I'm at school it's usually just 1-2, because obviously I have so much less time.
Aria Gato
but I'm reading Catch 22 at the moment which is taking me a lot longer. Wish I could have sustained the attention span I had when I was younger.

I'm reading that at the moment too :redface:
Reply 10
Erm, none.
Reply 11
If i like the book and want less sleep then 1 per week and this would be abt 300-400 pages but if i dont like it then 4 weeks max to finish it.
Ummm..... 1-3. Well, I read about 10-20 odd books for essays, but they're not once a wekk (luckily!!)

But they're all just part of my course.

For pleasure, I don't see the point in bothering during term-time. Sounds daft, but true.

over the holidays.... I'd guess about 0.25-1
Reply 13
On average? Probably about 0.02.

Edit: However, I have been known to polish off five-hundred pages (of fairly demanding prose) in a day. All depends on my mood.
Reply 14
less than one
stryker101
wow, like 0.3, i only have time to read before i sleep. sucks.
what is everyone reading atm then?
me = Pies and Prejudice - not amazing so far

I ploughed my way through that last year and I totally agree, just seemed like a collection of comments the author was trying oh so hard to be funny with...failed miserably
Reply 16
Usually about 1 per week. I read pretty fast, normally I can finish a book in about 4-5 hours time.
Reply 17
i'm bloody useless with books. no matter how interesting they are, i get distracted about half way through, and forget to pick it up again.
Fail.
-x-
I try to read as much as I can, problem is the free time I have to read. Before I used to read like more than 1 book per week now I read like 1 book per 2-3weeks. It also depends on how thick the book is.
I have been known to read three books a week when I'm on a roll. However, recently, I've barely been able to read anything - I've sort of failed to get going with anything, and therefore my current rate is probably more like 0.3 books a week than 3 a week. I'm not sure what's wrong with me, I've sort of hit a wall as far as reading is concerned. I did manage to read three in a week a month or so back, but I think they're among only five or six books I've read all year. It's annoying me.

Latest

Trending

Trending