The Student Room Group

personal statement

does anyone have any advice on working ncs into my personal statement, im looking at doing languages and criminology, in fact if anyone has any advice on what to write at all?
If you're planning on doing like a short extracurricular paragraph then that would be the place to put it. That being said, you should put the focus on what skills you got out of it or it'll just sound like you're listing things
Google is your friend.

Also whatever Uni you decide to apply for they normally have a handbook or something that will help.
Reply 3
Original post by SkyRunner61
If you're planning on doing like a short extracurricular paragraph then that would be the place to put it. That being said, you should put the focus on what skills you got out of it or it'll just sound like you're listing things

that's mainly what i was going for as my school have advised this but if i'm honest i don't really know what skills i've gotten from it, i mean obvioudly like team building and stuff like hat but i've mentioned some of those before and also can't think of a way to link them to it. But thank you for the advice.
Reply 4
Original post by monkeyman0121
Google is your friend.

Also whatever Uni you decide to apply for they normally have a handbook or something that will help.

thank you, do you know where i could possibly find that?
Original post by meganski
that's mainly what i was going for as my school have advised this but if i'm honest i don't really know what skills i've gotten from it, i mean obvioudly like team building and stuff like hat but i've mentioned some of those before and also can't think of a way to link them to it. But thank you for the advice.

I mean I didn't do NCS, but thinking off the top of my head, you could say that you've developed teamwork, leadership and communication skills and that you're a dedicated person? If you can't find a good way to work it in without it sounding unnatural though then don't. NCS is always something that you could just put on like a CV or something instead.

UCAS has some resources as do we. See my signature below. Unis may also have info on their websites. You have to do some research. Everyone does things like NCS so if you leave it out it’s no problem. Admissions officers are far more interested in your academic interests in the subject and how you developed them. If you have space for extra curriculars keep it to one para of no more than 100 words with a focus on skills as someone has said above.
Reply 7
Original post by alleycat393
UCAS has some resources as do we. See my signature below. Unis may also have info on their websites. You have to do some research. Everyone does things like NCS so if you leave it out it’s no problem. Admissions officers are far more interested in your academic interests in the subject and how you developed them. If you have space for extra curriculars keep it to one para of no more than 100 words with a focus on skills as someone has said above.

thank you i'll take that into consideration

Well most uni websites have a personal statement help page.

This is what I used for mine:

http://www.bcu.ac.uk/student-info/how-to-apply/making-your-application/tips-for-writing-your-personal-statement

I did apply for BCU so thats why.
Reply 9
Original post by monkeyman0121
Well most uni websites have a personal statement help page.

This is what I used for mine:

http://www.bcu.ac.uk/student-info/how-to-apply/making-your-application/tips-for-writing-your-personal-statement

I did apply for BCU so thats why.

thank you, i'm planning on applying to leicester and theirs isn't as detailed.
thank you, i'm planning on applying to leicester and theirs isn't as detailed.

I would recommend using their one a bit also as you are specifically applying to their uni. If they see a frame to your statement based on their help they will think you are really determined to get into that uni. (I do doubt that this will happen at all but you never know.)
Generally the format to follow is;
Where you got the skill
What the skill is
How you used the skill
How the skill links into your course.

For example on my personal statement for adult nursing I did something like
“During my time working in a nursing home I have developed my communication skills. I worked with people who often had trouble with communication in conventional methods so I advanced my usage of body language and non verbal communication. These skills enabled me to better understand what the patient was asking for and also how I communicated back with them. I believe this skill translates well into nursing as hospitals receive a wide variety of patients often with different forms of communication, my past experience enables me to adapt my method of communication”

Quite long winded but it shows you understand the process of learning a skill and then implementing it
Hey,
I did NCS and it went into my ps (unconditional)
I focused mainly on developing team work skills through activities, as wrll as developing confidence communicating with others and leading my own team.
I emphaised that we had a social action project, to help out a charity. - this always looks good, as well as going on your cv
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending