The Student Room Group

Applying for medicine

I really am just confused. I am predicted AAB and I wanted to apply for medicine at Leeds and Nottingham. I also want to do Neuroscience as my back up. Is there any point in applying for medicine? Do I work hard and achieve AAA for my actual A-levels and try get through clearing for an available course, or take a gap year, and then reapply for medicine the year later or do I just apply for neuroscience and not med? Or continue with med and trying to get better grades if not, retake my A-levels...
Original post by someduff
I really am just confused. I am predicted AAB and I wanted to apply for medicine at Leeds and Nottingham. I also want to do Neuroscience as my back up. Is there any point in applying for medicine? Do I work hard and achieve AAA for my actual A-levels and try get through clearing for an available course, or take a gap year, and then reapply for medicine the year later or do I just apply for neuroscience and not med? Or continue with med and trying to get better grades if not, retake my A-levels...

You can't really apply to medicine with AAB predicted. Like I applied last year with A*A*A & was immediately rejected from Exeter for not having A*A*A* - it is incredibly competitive so you need to try & get as high as possible in all your stats. That being said, I didn't apply to Leeds or Nottingham so I don't know exactly how they weight things. If your other stats are really good, your predicted grades may not matter so much.

I think the first step would try & get your predicted grades up. Talk to your teachers & ask if there is anything you can do over summer/ mock re-takes at the beginning of U6th. If that doesn't work, maybe try to improve the rest of your application. Get involved in volunteer work over summer, try & find more work experience, write an amazing personal statement, get as high as possible in your UKCAT... If your heart is set on medicine, don't just give up over one small thing.

The gap year is an good option, as you will have your grades. You can also travel, get more work experience, earn some money etc. I'd be aware however that medicine is already a pretty long course, so you might not want to delay it.

One final tip is to really do your research. I can't really remember how the unis value predicted grades, but I'm sure some won't really care about them (they are one of the most subjective parts of your application after all). If you can find these unis, you will definitely have a good chance!
Reply 2
Original post by florence_
You can't really apply to medicine with AAB predicted. Like I applied last year with A*A*A & was immediately rejected from Exeter for not having A*A*A* - it is incredibly competitive so you need to try & get as high as possible in all your stats. That being said, I didn't apply to Leeds or Nottingham so I don't know exactly how they weight things. If your other stats are really good, your predicted grades may not matter so much.

I think the first step would try & get your predicted grades up. Talk to your teachers & ask if there is anything you can do over summer/ mock re-takes at the beginning of U6th. If that doesn't work, maybe try to improve the rest of your application. Get involved in volunteer work over summer, try & find more work experience, write an amazing personal statement, get as high as possible in your UKCAT... If your heart is set on medicine, don't just give up over one small thing.

The gap year is an good option, as you will have your grades. You can also travel, get more work experience, earn some money etc. I'd be aware however that medicine is already a pretty long course, so you might not want to delay it.

One final tip is to really do your research. I can't really remember how the unis value predicted grades, but I'm sure some won't really care about them (they are one of the most subjective parts of your application after all). If you can find these unis, you will definitely have a good chance!

Thank you for your reply, can I ask are you doing Medicine? If so which uni? if not, what are you doing now?
I've been looking for work experience but I've had no luck getting replies back. To be honest, I'm just wondering if I should write my personal statement focusing on medicine or not.
Original post by someduff
Thank you for your reply, can I ask are you doing Medicine? If so which uni? if not, what are you doing now?
I've been looking for work experience but I've had no luck getting replies back. To be honest, I'm just wondering if I should write my personal statement focusing on medicine or not.

You can always apply to biomed and then apply to graduate medicine. Just be careful since graduate medicine is even more competitive.
Reply 4
Original post by ProRoadman
You can always apply to biomed and then apply to graduate medicine. Just be careful since graduate medicine is even more competitive.

But do I still apply for med this year or not? Im not sure if I should write my personal statement on medicine or not.
I think there’s quite a few schools like ARU that has a widening scheme of access, so you can get in with AAB if you come from an underprivileged background eg. your parents didn’t go to uni and stuff. Maybe you can try apply to all those schools that would take you with AAB, and you could get in, but all your other stats still need to be as high as possible.
Reply 6
Coincidentally I literally came back from a 3 day residential at Leeds University a couple of days ago. I don’t intend to study Medicine (I’m more an English student), but I have a friend who wants to study medicine and another dentistry.

I’d say, email them. Contact the university, call email, do whatever you can to gain more information.

I’m sure whatever the outcome you’ll be successful, push yourself harder and it’ll eventually be worth it!

In regards to Leeds accommodation - it’s great! I had a great time with friends. There was a lot of walking, the campus is lovely, they have an edible garden and cool museums on site.

All the best.
Reply 7
Plus! I think I remember one woman saying their give definite student accommodation to first years as long as you put Leeds as your firm. But look into that, just in case I am wrong.
Reply 8
A lot of the unis do not accept predictions below AAA so as was mentioned further up speak to your teachers about getting the third subject up. You said about struggling with work experience further up, do you volunteer anywhere?
Original post by Volibear
Were you actually rejected from Exeter purely for the reason of not having 3A*s

Yh, unfortunately! It was a few months ago now but I’m pretty sure this was their system: first stage of their application process is to rank everyone based on predicted grades like A*A*A* achieved is tier 1, A*A*A* predicted is tier 2, A*A*A predicted is tier 3 etc. Then they produce a cut-off point within those tiers (I guess based on the number they can interview) & reject anyone who is below. So I ended up in tier 3 & they only interviewed those in tiers 1 & 2.

It was pretty annoying because they don’t look at any of your other stats (personal statement, GCSEs…) & predicted grades are one of the most subjective parts of the application (like its based on a teacher’s opinion & work your doing a whole year before you sit exams).

Anyways sorry for the rant! This is what I was saying about doing your research. Pretty much the same thing happened the year before for Exeter applicants so I basically wasted a choice by not working that out. But I’m not really bothered now as I got an offer from my fav uni! 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending