The Student Room Group

Theology&religion personal statement, include dawkins?

I've just re-read my personal statement and realised I come across as having a very atheist point of view, (which is true) but if I'm applying to study theology, should I calm it down? I have included thoughts on Dawkins and Bertrand Russell, should I slip in something on Christianity that I agree with?
I don't want my atheistic views to go against my application, as I actually am fascinated by religion and theology.
Original post by orangemarmalade
I've just re-read my personal statement and realised I come across as having a very atheist point of view, (which is true) but if I'm applying to study theology, should I calm it down? I have included thoughts on Dawkins and Bertrand Russell, should I slip in something on Christianity that I agree with?
I don't want my atheistic views to go against my application, as I actually am fascinated by religion and theology.

You need to be coming at this from an academic perspective ie with a balanced view rather than just talking about your personal views. Have a look at what will be taught and talk about those topics. Why do you want to do this degree from an academic perspective?
Your personal statement needs to be balanced to show that you have an interest in exploring a variety of divergent viewpoints and ideas.
Calm it down, focus on how interesting you find exploration and analysis of various theological perspectives.

I mentioned Richard Dawkins, Bertrand Russell and Christopher Hitchens.
Also some extreme religious thinkers- the fundamentalists like Ian Paisley Snr, Pat Robertson and Michael Youssef.
Conservative clerical voices like John Killinger, liberal voices like Rowan Williams and Giles Fraser.

Original post by orangemarmalade

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending