Theology&religion personal statement, include dawkins?

Watch
username3949650
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I've just re-read my personal statement and realised I come across as having a very atheist point of view, (which is true) but if I'm applying to study theology, should I calm it down? I have included thoughts on Dawkins and Bertrand Russell, should I slip in something on Christianity that I agree with?
I don't want my atheistic views to go against my application, as I actually am fascinated by religion and theology.
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by orangemarmalade)
I've just re-read my personal statement and realised I come across as having a very atheist point of view, (which is true) but if I'm applying to study theology, should I calm it down? I have included thoughts on Dawkins and Bertrand Russell, should I slip in something on Christianity that I agree with?
I don't want my atheistic views to go against my application, as I actually am fascinated by religion and theology.
You need to be coming at this from an academic perspective ie with a balanced view rather than just talking about your personal views. Have a look at what will be taught and talk about those topics. Why do you want to do this degree from an academic perspective?
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Your personal statement needs to be balanced to show that you have an interest in exploring a variety of divergent viewpoints and ideas.
Calm it down, focus on how interesting you find exploration and analysis of various theological perspectives.

I mentioned Richard Dawkins, Bertrand Russell and Christopher Hitchens.
Also some extreme religious thinkers- the fundamentalists like Ian Paisley Snr, Pat Robertson and Michael Youssef.
Conservative clerical voices like John Killinger, liberal voices like Rowan Williams and Giles Fraser.

(Original post by orangemarmalade)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (43)
37.07%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (11)
9.48%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (5)
4.31%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (29)
25%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (18)
15.52%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
8.62%

Watched Threads