Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

I have a Religion, Philosophy, and Ethics degree from King's College London

Ask me degree specific questions if you want :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1
Ask me degree specific questions if you want :smile:

Hello, I just want to ask if the degree is competitive and do a lot of people study it. Also, do you study certain religions in detail or is it just the nature of religion overall?
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
how are the lecturers and is there much support?
Reply 3
Original post by dee7xz
Hello, I just want to ask if the degree is competitive and do a lot of people study it. Also, do you study certain religions in detail or is it just the nature of religion overall?

Hi! The degree is not competitive at all and it goes into clearing most years so there is a good chance to get a place on this course. It is quite a small department, probably consisting of no more than a 100 students, perhaps even less. Each year you get to study 8 modules, and those 8 modules are either on religion in general (e.g. philosophy of religion) or on specific religions (e.g. Theravada Buddhism, Introduction to Islam, Religious Difference: which centres mainly on Judaism but it is put into dialogue with Christianity and a bit of Islam). We also have Sociology of Religion which could borrow concepts from different religions but you do not go into extensive detail into the religions themselves, it is just specific concepts isolated from the religion as a whole.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous #2
how are the lecturers and is there much support?

For me I didn't find the lectures that helpful since I am quite an independent learner so I just like to do readings. With the lectures they don't go into extensive and exhaustive detail so you will obviously have to do the readings for an all-encompassing grasp of the topic. I had some friends who said that they found some content difficult and that the presentations/lecturer didn't go into much detail. They found some readings too hard to understand and got frustrated when the lecturer didn't spend much time on it. Regarding support, it is good but nothing especially good, I wouldn't say they go out of their way. The department has really nice teachers in it and generally the department's office does respond to queries and resolves them efficiently. I guess it would come down to the person and the fact that at uni you do not get much support anyway!
Reply 5
Original post by stmkcltrs
Hi! The degree is not competitive at all and it goes into clearing most years so there is a good chance to get a place on this course. It is quite a small department, probably consisting of no more than a 100 students, perhaps even less. Each year you get to study 8 modules, and those 8 modules are either on religion in general (e.g. philosophy of religion) or on specific religions (e.g. Theravada Buddhism, Introduction to Islam, Religious Difference: which centres mainly on Judaism but it is put into dialogue with Christianity and a bit of Islam). We also have Sociology of Religion which could borrow concepts from different religions but you do not go into extensive detail into the religions themselves, it is just specific concepts isolated from the religion as a whole.

Ahh thank you so much! Also, can I ask what grades you got when you applied for the course? I applied to it with A*,A,B and I haven’t heard back from them yet. A teacher told me that majority of the people who got offers for this course applied with grades A*,A,A so now I’m not sure.
Reply 6
Original post by dee7xz
Ahh thank you so much! Also, can I ask what grades you got when you applied for the course? I applied to it with A*,A,B and I haven’t heard back from them yet. A teacher told me that majority of the people who got offers for this course applied with grades A*,A,A so now I’m not sure.

I applied with AAA. The requirements are AAB so you should be fine, from what I understand it is not a popular course so they should have places. If your personal statement is fine then you should have no problem. In my year we had someone get in by clearing and she went on to be the student rep, the leader of the theology society, and a student treasury. She was so beloved by the department 🙂 It depends on the grades other people got because if everyone got higher than A*AB then they will be prioritised but I wouldn't worry. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest