The Student Room Group

How good are iPhones in the long run?

I need a phone that will live forever with great battery life, fast, durable and have water resistance as well as wireless charging. It needs a great and fast camera too, that I’m not too willing to budge on. I am more willing to drop wireless charging and water resistance though due to price constraints.

If they work together with my MacBook and iPad that’s great and part of why I’m looking at iPhone in the first place.

Scroll to see replies

Nope, Apple have already admitted slowing down iPhones after a while, basically to force people to upgrade. This helps Apple achieve their sick 70% profit margin, their products cost next to nothing, personally you should look at the oneplus.
there will be a lot of people saying they’re rubbish but I disagree. I’ve had my iPhone 7 for over 2 years and it’s the best thing I ever got. I had a android before it which was on its last legs before a year had passed and it wasn’t a cheap android. So I’d recommend the iPhone but do your own research don’t go by one persons opinion
Original post by random_matt
Nope, Apple have already admitted slowing down iPhones after a while, basically to force people to upgrade. This helps Apple achieve their sick 70% profit margin, their products cost next to nothing, personally you should look at the oneplus.

So, the OnePlus 6? I had a look at that phone. It looked good and I like the look of it, but it seems that second camera is there for no reason
If you're gonna get an I phone I recommend getting a plus model however I've had an iPhone 6s since it was released and now I prefer an Android. Trust me the performance will fall back really quick.
Original post by Kirby...
If you're gonna get an I phone I recommend getting a plus model however I've had an iPhone 6s since it was released and now I prefer an Android. Trust me the performance will fall back really quick.

So you’re saying, performance will drop? I noticed the display iPhone 7 (I think it was a Plus model, it seemed to be lagging out which I found unusual since it should run the same processor as my iPad Pro which doesn’t lag). I had this issue on Android, was hoping iOS wouldn’t suffer the same, since MacOS hasn’t for me and when my iPod touch was my current device I didn’t notice any drop off in performance
Reply 6
I have an old Iphone at the moment and I'm considering to upgrade as well due to its slow speed and its tendency to freeze. I was going to upgrade to a newer model of the Iphone but the only thing holding me back is the fact that there isn't a headphone port. I'm considering Android now but It's difficult to find one with a good camera.
SE is really good! No performance slip as bad as the bigger phones, half the price and just as kitted out
Original post by jdijx
I have an old Iphone at the moment and I'm considering to upgrade as well due to its slow speed and its tendency to freeze. I was going to upgrade to a newer model of the Iphone but the only thing holding me back is the fact that there isn't a headphone port. I'm considering Android now but It's difficult to find one with a good camera.

Camera is what got me to seriously consider iPhone in the first place, plus seeing the iPad’s camera performance helped
Original post by mine turtle
So you’re saying, performance will drop? I noticed the display iPhone 7 (I think it was a Plus model, it seemed to be lagging out which I found unusual since it should run the same processor as my iPad Pro which doesn’t lag). I had this issue on Android, was hoping iOS wouldn’t suffer the same, since MacOS hasn’t for me and when my iPod touch was my current device I didn’t notice any drop off in performance

Yes I've seen the performance drop this is because apple are consistently producing new phones which outdate other models. I honestly recommend getting a good android like the newer galaxys (8 and up) as they are great quality and will last longer than an iPhone.
Yes I've seen the performance drop this is because apple are consistently producing new phones which outdate other models. I honestly recommend getting a good android like the newer galaxys (8 and up) as they are great quality and will last longer than an iPhone.

I had an S4 a while back. It was great when it started, it just didn’t stay great (12 - 18 months later). Are they better at retaining performance now? I saw the S8 (not sure if ) and S9 in person yesterday, they look really good plus are a similarly priced to the iPhone and have a higher IP rating. I have been considering the S8 and S9 and even the S7 Edge (cheaper). It’s priced higher on Giffgaff though than O2
(edited 5 years ago)
difficult to find a ' droid device with a good camera ?

Huawei P20 or especially the P20 pro

Samsung s7 , s8 or s 9

the performance drop issue with apple is becasue even if they don;lt throttle performance deliberately - as they did with 6 and 6s ' to preserve the battery' in later updates , they don;t really care about optimising performance foir older but still supported devices ...
I would actually recommend iPhones contrary to what some people are saying. I've had an iPhone 5 (yes it's really old) for more than 5 years now. It works perfectly well aside from the odd glitch - which is tolerable considering its age. It's camera is really good and I don't have any major complaints. The only issue is the battery life but if you replace the battery (like I did about a year ago) instead of giving into the pressure of buying a new one, the phone ploughs on just fine with life.
Have you heard of the samsung galaxy s Active series? If you're looking for something that will actually live forever thats where youll want to look.

As for the iPhones, no they dont live forever right now. Battery capacity will drop significantly with use over like 6+ months, and screens are often cracked. For me they're good enough right now as im always by a charger and i can fix the phone myself, so if you want longevity of the phone iphone is a big nO
Decent camera? Huawei mate 10 pro or p20, prefer the prior one for size. Probably get one myself if I ever need a smartphone.
Reply 16
Original post by mine turtle
Camera is what got me to seriously consider iPhone in the first place, plus seeing the iPad’s camera performance helped

After watching some reviews, I think i'm going to upgrade to a Samsung Galaxy s9- it has a headphone port which many new models of phones do not have, the camera looks good and it's water resistant. I was looking at the Pixel 2 which has a really good camera but the fact that there is no headphone port is an issue.
I’ve had my iPhone 5s since beginning of 2014 and using it right now to write this comment. Best phone I’ve ever had! Only slowed down a little bit (my sisters Samsung she got 2 years ago has slowed down more than my iPhone!). I’ve dropped my phone way too many times and its never broke / got any cracks or anything. I’ve dropped my phone into the washing basin when washing my hands and almost ‘drowned’ in the water but somehow my phone came out alive. Plus I’ve never put a screen protector or a ‘good’ phone case - I’ve used like the thin hard Poundland ones that offer no protection

I’m assuming the newer models are better than mine! Especially since they’re making the phones even stronger every new model.
Perhaps not forever, but a long time

Yeah true, batteries get worse over time, just need the one that will take the longest to get to barely lasting a day, since the iPad seems to never use any power I figured the same might be true for the iPhone. As for waterproof, need one that can take some water exposure, not that I plan to dive with them or anything. I point and shoot with cameras, so whichever looks the best doing that is what I’m after. My iPad is arguably the best at it. My Nexus 6P when it was still alive was good but slow. Can’t remember how my S4 performed camera-wise. The ecosystem was a plus point in this search.

I do have a 10 year old (roughly) Nokia phone that as far as I know is still alive and working perfectly to this day. It’s one of the old brick phones. I just need to find its charger and charge it and it’ll be good to go again, it always has been.
I forgot to say in my original post. 5 years because I won’t change a phone until either I feel enough time has passed, the phone is dead or the phone is impractical to use. For my first smartphone the contract went to term and I didn’t bother to upgrade, figured it still works so I’ll keep using it (even though it was erratic), but then I broke the screen and that was when I decided it’s time for it to retire (I got it fixed, but it wasn’t the same afterwards). I don’t intend to expose my phone to much if any water, but IP68 is preferable (IP67 will do though).

I guess one of my main issues with cameras is speed. With previous phones I’d be needing to take a picture and having to wait three days for my phone to finally decide it’s ready to take a photo and then with my 6P it would take its time to process the photo. I need something that rivals the iPad’s speed and quality.

With the battery thing, what I don’t want is to go out somewhere and have to bring my charger with me or be praying it holds out at the end of the day only to have it die while I’m out.

Like I’ve said with other things, you can have all the features you want, but it’s no good if you don’t work. In this case, smartphones can have all the features they want, but it’s no good if their battery won’t actually use them
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending