The Student Room Group

Can I run a half marathon with 3 weeks training?

Obviously it will be very hard but I mean in terms of life long ligament damage, is it likely? I’m not overweight and although I’m not an avid runner I feel like if I run everyday between now and then I can at least jog it slowly
Original post by Amydesigns1104
Obviously it will be very hard but I mean in terms of life long ligament damage, is it likely? I’m not overweight and although I’m not an avid runner I feel like if I run everyday between now and then I can at least jog it slowly

If you're relatively fit and healthy, then yes - you'll make it around. And you're unlikely to do yourself any permanent damage. (Hey, you could get run over by a camera bike - who knows?) Don't expect to be breaking any records though. :smile:
Reply 2
Have you got decent running shoes? That is key to avoiding injury. Plus a proper warm-up and -down, and hydration.

However, just to put it into perspective, in my fitter days, and having done a lot of training, I could run consistent ~8-minute miles and do a half-marathon in approx 1hr 45. If you are jogging you'll be on your feet for much longer than that and that's a challenge in itself.

If it's a race, they usually have a formal time limit to complete it, especially if it has involved road closures, and there'll often be a sweep wagon for the back markers.

I genuinely applaud your efforts, but be prepared for the reality.
Reply 3
Do some training and see how it goes. This is a long distance run that comes with some risks of physical injury and illness, particularly if you are unfit or have pre-existing conditions
Reply 4
Original post by Amydesigns1104

Hi Amy ☺️

No chance of preparing yourself properly for a half marathon ( just over 13 miles) in 3 weeks as it normally takes you around 12 weeks of training prior to the marathon date.
I'm a very keen long distance runner and I did my own city half marathon a few weeks ago and I managed it in two hours which was good for me.

You normally have to submit your best time on applying for marathons just for guidance to the operators and there's a time limit to how long you have to compete it ( I think ours was a maximum time of 4 hours).

I would suggest you slowly do it daily and build up your distance until you reached the marathon distance and see how you feel. Hydration is important when running long distance.

I would image you'll struggle to run it but don't overdo anything.
Reply 5
Is this for the AOC sports event?
Reply 6
Yes, it is possible in 3 months of training, though its not gonna be easy but if you are fit and have dedication you can make it. Also in this amount of time remember the goal is to finish the race, not to achieve a personal record.
You'll probably get around. It'll be grim going though

Quick Reply

Latest