The Student Room Group

Confused between A level fine art and BTEC level 3 art and design

So I am confused with what to take in college. I am currently in year 10 and I definitely want to pursue a career that involves art so I want to take it in college. I don't know what to take as you can tell from the title. Which one of those has a more broad range of work/themes? I don't want to be stuck with projects I don't enjoy and can't think of any ideas for.
I also want to go to Ravensbourne University to do a foundation diploma In art and then a degree so which college choice would help more for that?
Also is it possible to take BTEC level 3 art and design as well as another subject which is A level?

Thank you
Aleves for sure
looked much more highly upon
Reply 2
Original post by Rebeccarichards
Aleves for sure
looked much more highly upon

I heard that a level art doesn't prepareyou for a career in art as much as btec does? And thank youu
I take level 3 btec diploma art and design, amd had the same option as you to do that or a level art. I decided upon this choice for a few reasons:

-i wanted a range of options to try such as photography, model making, painting, fabrics etc which the btec provides by giving different units with different requirements to choose from. For example you can do a graphics unit or a 3d design unit depending upon your interests and skill levels.

-the diploma is equivalent to 2 a levels. In my sixth form we have to do minimum 3 subjects so i do the diploma and then a level English Literature alongside. This has helped me for university since I want to go into theatre design.

-btec is highly looked upon for art schools and creative universities. Sure, I was told by a Cambridge lecturer that I'd never get into Oxbridge (she came to the sixth form to talk to us) but then they don't particularly do creative subjects. However, every university I have visited has said I don't need a foundation year as btec level 3 diploma is enough experience.

-with that, a level is sometimes considered too exam based for creative subjects like art and design. Therefore, unis see that the btec is more physical experience alongside the written and research methods- aka it's more like uni. They like it a lot for that reason.

-Leeds told a classmate of mine that if she had done a level graphics then they would not consider her at all. However, since she did diploma art and design (heavily focussing upon graphic design within that) they have given her an offer.

-within my class we have graphic designers, illustrators, animators, model makers/3d/prop/set designers (me), artists and fashion designers. We are all taking the same units (aside from the afirementioned choice units which you choose which to do) and same course yet we tailor it to our interests. This is different to the rigour of a level art.

-i took gcse art and gcse graphics. Both have helped me for my btec- art with the traditional art knowledge and graphics with the coursework style, but the gcse graphics was way too exam focussed for a creative subject. To the extent that my school now teaches btec level 2 art and design instead.

Hope something in that ramble helps!!! Sorry for writing so so much!
Reply 4
Original post by Pensready
I take level 3 btec diploma art and design, amd had the same option as you to do that or a level art. I decided upon this choice for a few reasons:

-i wanted a range of options to try such as photography, model making, painting, fabrics etc which the btec provides by giving different units with different requirements to choose from. For example you can do a graphics unit or a 3d design unit depending upon your interests and skill levels.

-the diploma is equivalent to 2 a levels. In my sixth form we have to do minimum 3 subjects so i do the diploma and then a level English Literature alongside. This has helped me for university since I want to go into theatre design.

-btec is highly looked upon for art schools and creative universities. Sure, I was told by a Cambridge lecturer that I'd never get into Oxbridge (she came to the sixth form to talk to us) but then they don't particularly do creative subjects. However, every university I have visited has said I don't need a foundation year as btec level 3 diploma is enough experience.

-with that, a level is sometimes considered too exam based for creative subjects like art and design. Therefore, unis see that the btec is more physical experience alongside the written and research methods- aka it's more like uni. They like it a lot for that reason.

-Leeds told a classmate of mine that if she had done a level graphics then they would not consider her at all. However, since she did diploma art and design (heavily focussing upon graphic design within that) they have given her an offer.

-within my class we have graphic designers, illustrators, animators, model makers/3d/prop/set designers (me), artists and fashion designers. We are all taking the same units (aside from the afirementioned choice units which you choose which to do) and same course yet we tailor it to our interests. This is different to the rigour of a level art.

-i took gcse art and gcse graphics. Both have helped me for my btec- art with the traditional art knowledge and graphics with the coursework style, but the gcse graphics was way too exam focussed for a creative subject. To the extent that my school now teaches btec level 2 art and design instead.

Hope something in that ramble helps!!! Sorry for writing so so much!

Thank you soo muchhh!! That definitely helped I think I'm going to do btec because I'm a more practical person and im confused between graphic design and 3d design so btec art and design with help me decide between them. Thanks again!!
Yay I'm so glad I was of assistance. To be honest I always thought I'd be an advertiser or graphic designer until i realised how much i prefer making stuff in metal and wood compared to photoshop etc but I'd never have realised that blatantly obvious thing without the btec lol.
Reply 6
Original post by ST_171
Thank you soo muchhh!! That definitely helped I think I'm going to do btec because I'm a more practical person and im confused between graphic design and 3d design so btec art and design with help me decide

Yay I'm so glad I was of assistance. To be honest I always thought I'd be an advertiser or graphic designer until i realised how much i prefer making stuff in metal and wood compared to photoshop etc but I'd never have realised that blatantly obvious thing without the btec lol.

That's so cool I've never tried that. I hope my btec course includes making things with metal or wood
Mine doesn't in the lessons as such (although we did one lesson in the engineering rooms) but because I have an interest they let me either use those materials in engineering or at home. Ask your sixth form/college if they have the machines and space such as an engineering dept as well as the teachers then I'd hope they would want to teach you since the course does allow it.
Reply 8
Mine doesn't in the lessons as such (although we did one lesson in the engineering rooms) but because I have an interest they let me either use those materials in engineering or at home. Ask your sixth form/college if they have the machines and space such as an engineering dept as well as the teachers then I'd hope they would want to teach you since the course does allow it.

Thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest