The Student Room Group

***GCSE Results Day thread - POLL IS ALMOST CLOSING - VOTE FOR HARDEST SUBJECT!!!!***

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Flakeyon
Hey 🙈🙊🙉!

A-Level: Bio, Chem, Maths and/or Psychology but depends on where I end up.

Favourite subject: Physics. Just bits and bobs though like Electromagnetism. I love seeing its application in the world. Still, my grades aren't spectacular for it.

Worst subject: RS. Waste of a GCSE. Had to pull myself off the ground during the last month as I realised that my teachers (who were playing musical chairs in the beginning of the year) would not salvage my grade as we weren't taught half the content and no one in the year had a clue of what was going on (they gave out the mark schemes to memorise for mocks and most people were getting between U-5).

😑 (I can't define my feelings towards results day very well but its like a mixture of anxiety, irrational fear, overthinking and also being desperate to get it over with in case there is a glimmer of hope)

Scenarios:
Best/Worst/Realistic
Lit: 9/6/8
Lang: 8/6/8
Maths: 9/7/8
Bio: 9/7/8
Chem: 9/7/9
Physics: 8/6/7
Geo: 9/7/9
RS: 9/7/9
Drama: 7/4/6
CIDA: A*/A/A* (not really a GCSE tbf - already got an A in my Unit 1 and only needed 23/33 in the coursework to get an A* overall)

Its a struggle to predict my own grades as I don't want to set my expectations too high since the grade boundries are basically unpredictable.

Spoiler

Destination: Stupid me only applied to two places only to realise that they are literally the worst places I could have chosen so I am hoping to get accepted by late application to a much better (grammar) sixth form that I thought was out of my reach.

Post-Results Day: If all goes well, I'll be binge watching MKR (cooking competition) as I am still on holiday and not due back until Tuesday.

Good Luck Guys!

Great Grades - I hope you achieve all the grades you want. If you want check out my earlier thread on POTENTIAL grade boundaries - click here to go to the thread.
Original post by imdeded
My GCSES:
English Literature (Edexcel)
English Language (AQA)
Biology (Edexcel)
Physics (Edexcel)
Chemistry (Edexcel, did triple science)
History (CIE)
Latin (OCR)
Italian (CIE)
RT (Edexcel)
Maths (Edexcel) --> did early last year, A*
French (CIE) --> did early last year, A*

My A-level choices:
English Literature (OCR)
Philosophy (AQA)
Maths
Further Maths - Statistics

My favourite GCSE was English Literature, 2nd favourite RT

My worst and most hated subject was Physics by far

Feelings about results day: :eek4:

Best case scenario// Worst case scenario // Realistic case scenario:

English Literature: 9//8//9
English Language: 9//8//9
Biology: A*//A//A*
Physics: A*//A//A* (unless grade boundaries are insanely high which seems likely :frown:)
Chemistry: A*//A//A* (but lowkey feel like i flopped paper 1 the more i think about it)
History: A*//A//A*
Latin: A*//A//A*
Italian: A*//A//A*
RT: 9//8//8
Maths: Got an A*
French: Got an A*
i sooo hope i get all a*s but i wont be surprised if i dont
I hope to go to sixth form at my current school, then go on to probably study Law (dream uni is Cambridge)

On results day I'll open it with like one close friend so that I don't feel too much pressure from other people, then probs go out to eat with some friends :smile:

good luck

Good Luck! I wish you the best - YOU'VE GOT THIS. WOW, you are studying PHILOSOPHY too - that's what I have chosen as well (but I am self teaching it so it will be like a private A-Level). Let us know how you get on on your results day. In the meantime if you want you can check out my earlier thread on POTENTIAL grade boundaries - click here.
Original post by New Wonder
There is no poems in English Language exam. In English Literature the poem chosen this year for Love and Relationships was Singh Song.

I did mine a year ago so kind of forgot. Do you know what came out for power and conflict?
Original post by great guy
I did mine a year ago so kind of forgot. Do you know what came out for power and conflict?

Nope, sorry I didn't do that section because we never studied it in class.
Reply 64
1. AQA English Lit
AQA English Lang
Edexcel Maths
AQA Biology
AQA Chemistry
AQA Physics
Edexcel History
Edexcel Geography
WJEC Latin
Eduqas RE
Edexcel Spanish
2. Hopefully be doing English Literature, Politics, History along w/ a epq in law
3. History- I breezed through it
4. Physics- I hated my teacher and also hated maths and the content so i never enjoyed it and slept ALOT
5. :s-smilie:
6. Best Case:
English Lit- 9
English Lang-9
History-9
RE- 9
Geography- 8
Biology- 8
Latin- 8
Chemistry- 7
Spanish- 7
Maths- 7
Physics- 6

Worst Case:
English Literature-7
English Language-7
Maths- 5
History- 7
Biology- 7
Chemistry- 6
Physics- 5
RE- 7
Spanish- 6
Latin- 7
Geography- 7
it would get me into my sixth form so i'd be ok but really disappointed

Realistic-
English Language- 9 ( never gotten below a 9 in the practice papers so i don't see why it would be different now)
English Literature- 8 ( had one bad essay so)
History- 9 (counts on whether our teacher actually taught us the right structure)
RE- 8 ( Still iffy on the structure he wanted us to answer with)
Biology- 8 ( the papers went really well and i tried hard for this science, unlike any of the others so lets go- probably a 7)
Geography- 7 ( could be an 8 but i made a few mistakes)
Chemistry- 7 (think i've scraped this since paper 2 was good but paper 1 was absolute trash)
Latin- 7 ( having never seen a specimen paper for the literature and religion aspect of the course, since there wasn't one, we went in blind so its prob not an 8)
Spanish- 7 (writing was terrible, hoping to be saved by speaking and listening, probably a 6 tbh)
Maths- 6 ( think i got this, some questions i did really well on, but im not a maths guy)
Physics- 5 ( XD)

7. Sixth form then law @ a russell group
8. get them, register @ sixth form- drink heavily whether good or bad then go back to bed having pulled an all nighter-
gl everyone
firstly i'm so glad everyone said math and physics :') i'm so reassured by that

1. lol couldn't even remember there for a second. triple science, drama, geography, spanish, RS, english literature, english language, maths. got an A at stats too
2. no clue but i put down english lit, math, geography and drama
3. drama. it was a rough few years through bullying but the subject itself was so enjoyable.
4. it's a tie between physics and maths. i enjoyed math throughout year 11 but i struggled. as for physics my teacher kept putting me down urgh don't get me startedd
5. 😩
6. best case scenario ~
biology (8), chemistry (9), physics (8), drama (9), geography (9), spanish (8), RS (9), english literature (8), english language (7), maths (7)
worst case scenario ~
biology (6), chemistry (6), physics (5), drama (6), geography (6), spanish (6), RS (6), english literature (6), english language (5), maths (3)
realistic case scenario ~
biology (7), chemistry (8), physics (7), drama (8), geography (8), spanish (8), RS (8), english literature (7), english language (6), maths (6)

i honestly believe i'll do well across all subjects except i'm so so so disappointed with maths. i imagine i'll discuss retakes and other options with my head of sixth form calmly without breaking down knowing that i'm probably not meant to do math at A level. instead i'll need to reconsider knowing that no matter how harsh everyone is they want the best for me even if i'm supposedly super smart.

7. sixth form
8. i know for sure i'll be crying because of how stressed out i've been all summer. if it's good i might treat myself by going out for lunch at leicester square and get free food. i think i might treat myself a lot and maybe i'll drink a little when i get home without my parents knowing lol. if it's not what i expected i'll delay going home possibly comfort myself on tsr then prepare myself irl to tell everyone my results.
Original post by rainclouds-
firstly i'm so glad everyone said math and physics :':wink: i'm so reassured by that

1. lol couldn't even remember there for a second. triple science, drama, geography, spanish, RS, english literature, english language, maths. got an A at stats too
2. no clue but i put down english lit, math, geography and drama
3. drama. it was a rough few years through bullying but the subject itself was so enjoyable.
4. it's a tie between physics and maths. i enjoyed math throughout year 11 but i struggled. as for physics my teacher kept putting me down urgh don't get me startedd
5. 😩
6. best case scenario ~
biology (8), chemistry (9), physics (8), drama (9), geography (9), spanish (8), RS (9), english literature (8), english language (7), maths (7)
worst case scenario ~
biology (6), chemistry (6), physics (5), drama (6), geography (6), spanish (6), RS (6), english literature (6), english language (5), maths (3)
realistic case scenario ~
biology (7), chemistry (8), physics (7), drama (8), geography (8), spanish (8), RS (8), english literature (7), english language (6), maths (6)

i honestly believe i'll do well across all subjects except i'm so so so disappointed with maths. i imagine i'll discuss retakes and other options with my head of sixth form calmly without breaking down knowing that i'm probably not meant to do math at A level. instead i'll need to reconsider knowing that no matter how harsh everyone is they want the best for me even if i'm supposedly super smart.

7. sixth form
8. i know for sure i'll be crying because of how stressed out i've been all summer. if it's good i might treat myself by going out for lunch at leicester square and get free food. i think i might treat myself a lot and maybe i'll drink a little when i get home without my parents knowing lol. if it's not what i expected i'll delay going home possibly comfort myself on tsr then prepare myself irl to tell everyone my results.

Great grades - YOU SHOULD BE PROUD OF YOUR RESULTS AND I WISH YOU THE BEST. So sorry to hear about the bullying but you know, like sucks sometimes and some people are just losers so their action confirms that for them. I wish you all the best.
Great grades - YOU SHOULD BE PROUD OF YOUR RESULTS AND I WISH YOU THE BEST. So sorry to hear about the bullying but you know, like sucks sometimes and some people are just losers so their action confirms that for them. I wish you all the best.

thank you for your kind words! i found that it motivated me to work harder. i highly doubt it but if i get a 9 then i know that it's what motivated me to strive for more than i usually would. i wish you all the best too x

---
Original post by Toastiekid
I’m going to get pizza in London... I’ll probably be on tsr if I’m being honest:laugh:.

if it's good i might treat myself by going out for lunch at leicester square and get free food. if it's not what i expected i'll delay going home possibly comfort myself on tsr then prepare myself irl to tell everyone my results.

👀👀👀

i fOUND MY TWIN
1. What subjects did you take at GCSE?
English Lit
English Lang
Maths
Combined Science
RE
Art
Drama
Geography

2. Which subjects are you going to continue at A-Level OR BTEC OR Apprenticeships?
Depends on the school, either English Lit, Art, Classic Civ, or English Lit, Art, Media

3. Which subject was your favourite at GCSE?
English Language and Lit

4. Which subject was the worst for you at GCSE?
Geography (just because it was boring to me) and Maths

5. Hw are you feeling as the BIG DAY approaches? Please respond with an emoji only - it makes it more fun!
🤮

6. Tell us the grade your best case scenario, worst case scenario and REALISTIC case scenario in terms of the grades you might get in each case?
Subject - Best/Worst/Realistic
English Lit - 9/5/7
English Lang -9/5/7
Maths - 7/4/5
Science -7/5/6
Art - 8/5/7
Geography - 8/5/6
Drama - 7/5/6
RE - 9/6/7

7. What do you hope to do in the future?
6th Form

8. What will you be doing on results day, after collecting your results.
Crying, then going to enrol if i get into my top choice, then hopefully going to re-watch Antman and the Wasp with a fellow TSR member
Great Grades - I hope you achieve all the grades you want. If you want check out my earlier thread on POTENTIAL grade boundaries - click here to go to the thread.

Thank you 😙 Hope you get the grades you want too. I'll check the link out.
Reply 70

Maths
(I also did a Level 3 certificate in counselling)

Historically I did:

English Language
English Literature
Computer Science
Human Biology
RE
Arithmetic
Sociology

2. Which subjects are you going to continue at A-Level OR BTEC OR Apprenticeships?

I'm going on to study level 4 Counselling

I loved English literature, and counselling

Maths

5. How are you feeling?

I'm really nervous, and just want it over and done with now.

6. In the best/worst case scenario and REALISTIC case scenario in terms of the grades you might get in each case?

I really want an 8 in maths, but suspect I may scrape through with a 4, as the papers were so hard. I'll resit if it's below 4, but I really don't want to.

I've been told my chances of passing my level 3 are very good, but the examination board need to come back with their final decision and the paperwork needs to be done. This probably wont be until November.

I've already got
English Language- 8 with merit
English Literature- C
RE- C
Human Biology- D
Sociology- E
Arithmetic- E

All but the English language are historical, so I can re do the course if necessary.

7. What do you hope to do in the future? Sixth Form, BTEC, Apprenticeships?

The Level 4 diploma in counselling. I'v already been accepted on the course and start in September. Then a 1 year OU degree after that. Once I have those I want to do a language and maybe A Levels just to keep my brain busy.

8. What will you be doing on results day, after collecting your results?

Either screaming with joy or crying.

If I pass then all my books are going to my local community library, plus loads of paper to recycling. I did the same with my English books last year.

I intend to buy myself a bicycle if I pass as a reward for all the hard work.

As a mature student, my class and I are arranging a night out drinking to celebrate.
(edited 5 years ago)
I am sort of feeling stressed because I feel like I am going to do good but I am just trying to prepare for the worst case scenario so that if I feel disappointed at least its effect is minimal - I am just scared of being overconfident because I could have possible gotten something like 5 or 6 9s but at the same times I am scared because we are all oblivious to the grade boundaries.

You should check out my earlier (and more popular thread) where I discussed potential grade boundaries - click here to see it. And tell me what you think about their overall accuracy!

My GCSE RESULTS DAY MOTTO IS "Expect the worst and hope for the best!"

I understand:yep: tbh we can’t change anything now so there’s no point stressing but yeah it’s good to prepare for the worst situation:wink: just in case!
ahah I don’t think I’ll look at them as I don’t want to freak myself out:teehee:, maybe on Wednesday evening I’ll have a look?
I may have to adopt that motto:laugh:
thank you for your kind words! i found that it motivated me to work harder. i highly doubt it but if i get a 9 then i know that it's what motivated me to strive for more than i usually would. i wish you all the best too x

---

👀👀👀

i fOUND MY TWIN

YESSSSS:woo: omg I think I’m going near Leicester Square as well...
It depends on the grades I get though as the sixth form I'd enrol at if I’ve done well is in central London:wink:
Do you know what sort of food you’re getting?
Only 3 days left - HERE WE GO!
Original post by Toastiekid
YESSSSS:woo: omg I think I’m going near Leicester Square as well...
It depends on the grades I get though as the sixth form I'd enrol at if I’ve done well is in central London:wink:
Do you know what sort of food you’re getting?

a birdie on tsr told me that mod pizza is giving a free pizza with results so that's why i was planning to go there in the first place :h: i don't quite know it depends how im feeling and if im lucky to go with someone i'll make sure the people that work there pay attention to the fact that i'm holding my gcse results :biggrin:
i think you mentioned you were going with your parents though? if you are that sounds really nice :^)
probably same. and afterward i'll be on tsr too *sighs*
:gthumb: good luck
Hi my name is Angela! My favourite subject during GCSE was English literature which I will be continuing with in y12. My worst was maths😂 so I pray I passed because I put in a lot of effort... my parents got me 4 tutors across the 2 years of exam periods since I got chosen to sit the higher paper 5 months before and I was panicking. If I get a grade 5 that would be the best scenario for me because all I really want is to pass maths and get it over and done with so I don’t have to resit. I will be studying English literature, sociology and psychology at a level and so I hope to become a social worker.
Original post by Angela.801
Hi my name is Angela! My favourite subject during GCSE was English literature which I will be continuing with in y12. My worst was maths😂 so I pray I passed because I put in a lot of effort... my parents got me 4 tutors across the 2 years of exam periods since I got chosen to sit the higher paper 5 months before and I was panicking. If I get a grade 5 that would be the best scenario for me because all I really want is to pass maths and get it over and done with so I don’t have to resit. I will be studying English literature, sociology and psychology at a level and so I hope to become a social worker.

I hope you do well. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!
Only 3 days to goooo!! How is everyone feeling?
Reply 78
Hello. Hopefully everyone is doing fine.
Maths, further maths, English lang/lit, biology, chemistry, physics, geography, computer science, music, graphics

Going to college to do A-Level maths, further maths, physics and computer science.

Probably further maths or computer science but also really liked the sciences. Was able to do music as well as I taught myself computer science.

Definitely English lit/lang, probably lang worse. I found them quite painful. Towards the end graphics could have been up there with english.

5. How are you feeling as the BIG DAY approaches?
:crossedf:

6. Tell us the grade your best case scenario, worst case scenario and REALISTIC case scenario in terms of the grades you might get in each case?

Best Case Scenario -
Maths - 9
Further Maths - A^
English Lit - 8
English Lang - 8
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 9
Computer Science - 9
Music - 9
Geography - 9
Graphics - A*

Worst Case Scenario - (I am very confident with maths and chemistry)
Maths - 9
Further Maths - A*
English Lit - 6
English Lang - 6
Biology - 8
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 8
Computer Science - 8
Music - 8
Geography - 8
Graphics - A

Realistic Scenario -
Maths - 9
Further Maths - A^
English Lit - 7
English Lang - 7
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 9
Computer Science - 9
Music - 8
Geography - 8
Graphics - A*

8. What will you be doing on results day, after collecting your results.
Go to a Italian restaurant with my family.
GCSE elite set to shrink to just 1,000 super-smart teens.

Check out the article - here.

Quick Reply

Latest