The Student Room Group

Please help! About medical school requirements to give an offer.

Hi all, I am currently taking a gap year before applying to medicine for next year again. I have already achieved all 4 A*s in maths, physics, chemistry, and biology for my a levels. For the UKCAT I have achieved a 2950 and a Band 1 so I think I got quite decent results to apply but due to last year experience of failing I am a bit concern about the interview of medical school, for example Birmingham only gives offer depending solely on your interview performance once you reached the interview stage and I consider myself inferior in interview performance so I was wondering do all medical school uses this approach or will some of them give an offer based on the mix of all results, ps and interview which I feel more confident in applying .

Thanks all for your help
Not all universities just use interviews for offers. Some medical schools combine predictions, bmat/UKcat, ps and interview scores to give out offers. If you go to the website of the medical school, you can see the application process from uacs to offers.
Reply 2
Yes, I tried to look them up but not all seem to specify it as they simply list out requirements in each category but does not include how will eventually be used any chance there is an example?
Original post by Brian28msa
Yes, I tried to look them up but not all seem to specify it as they simply list out requirements in each category but does not include how will eventually be used any chance there is an example?

Sometimes the website will have an selection process/decision making section and it's often more detailed in terms of how they give their final offers compared to the entry requirements sections?

Some unis also have "admissions policy" pdfs which I found more useful when researching like: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/media/wwwnclacuk/schoolofmedicaleducation/files/MBBS%20Admissions%20Policy%202019-revised%2026%20June%202018%20v%202.pdf and http://www.exeter.ac.uk/media/universityofexeter/undergraduatewebsite/documents/BMBS-Detailed-Admissions-Process-2018-entry.pdf as examples. Unis vary in how much they tell you but it's worth having a dig! Just click around :biggrin:

Also, I applied last year to Edinburgh and if I remember correctly, they gave you a score for your PS/reference/grades, ranked your UKCAT score against others who applied and then allocated scores to octiles (?). They weren't doing interviews when I applied! I would check that though as maybe their policy has changed!

https://www.uwp.is.ed.ac.uk/publish/php/pdf/php0nCiPA.pdf Page 18 is their breakdown in terms of what % weighting is given to PS/grades/UKCAT.

Anyway congrats on your results and good luck :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Brian28msa
Hi all, I am currently taking a gap year before applying to medicine for next year again. I have already achieved all 4 A*s in maths, physics, chemistry, and biology for my a levels. For the UKCAT I have achieved a 2950 and a Band 1 so I think I got quite decent results to apply but due to last year experience of failing I am a bit concern about the interview of medical school, for example Birmingham only gives offer depending solely on your interview performance once you reached the interview stage and I consider myself inferior in interview performance so I was wondering do all medical school uses this approach or will some of them give an offer based on the mix of all results, ps and interview which I feel more confident in applying .

Thanks all for your help

Edinburgh don't interview school leavers, but not sure about gap years.

Aberdeen carry forward the academic and UKCAT score, and use it as 50% of the interview score.

Hull/York use the SJT Band as a proportion of the interview score (20% weighting I think)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending