The Student Room Group

GCSE Result Trouble Please Help!!!

Hey.
So I came to the UK last year and was enrolled in a college that did 5 GCSEs in an year as I was 15 at the time and was required to do Year 11.
However, most of the teachers were rubbish(they changed 4 science teachers in a single year) and the syllabus wasn’t completely covered.
So by the time April rolled around I was severely de-spirited because I had always been a straight-A student in my homeland and the current circumstances meant I wouldn’t be achieving the grades I had aimed for at the start of the term,therefore I planned to resit my GCSEs this year in order to better my grades as well as increase the number of my subjects.
Turns out I scored the following grades:
Eng:6
Combined science:6-6
Maths:7
RE:8
So the college I planned to resit GCSEs at refused to enrol me as I was “overqualified” for the course which means that I’m now left with no GCSE/Sixth form place at all and there’s only a couple days to go till the start of the new term.
Is there any chance I might get into a good Sixth form now?What should I do?
Also, I have always wanted to study medicine in Oxbridge but I’m not sure if it’s even worth applying now that my GCSEs are so rubbish?
Thank you for reading and please help! :smile:
Hey don't worry they're great reults for your situation ( meaning the move and crap teachers) I'd email around local secondary schools with sixth forms attached and explain a little about your situation and your grades and see how it goes from there, you'd be wasted in a college my friend ^_^ I hope you get a place somewhere soon xx
Original post by Geometrical87
Hey don't worry they're great reults for your situation ( meaning the move and crap teachers) I'd email around local secondary schools with sixth forms attached and explain a little about your situation and your grades and see how it goes from there, you'd be wasted in a college my friend ^_^ I hope you get a place somewhere soon xx

Hey,thanks a lot for your kind words.
I did apply to some sixth forms and actually got a place in one.Now the thing I'm most worried about is their quality of teaching but my family says that the actual studying is upon me and the teaching-quality doesn't matter that much.Seeing as you're an A level student can you please tell me if that is correct or not?
Original post by Infiniteinone
Hey,thanks a lot for your kind words.
I did apply to some sixth forms and actually got a place in one.Now the thing I'm most worried about is their quality of teaching but my family says that the actual studying is upon me and the teaching-quality doesn't matter that much.Seeing as you're an A level student can you please tell me if that is correct or not?

there's plenty of resources online if teaching isn't great and independant study is a key aspect of sixth form.

Quick Reply

Latest