The Student Room Group

a levels

is it ok for me to choose business accounting and economics as a level subjects?
Reply 1
Perfectly fine if you enjoy them. It's worth noting though, they do narrow down your options quite a bit, but obviously if you're happy with that. More importantly, do you have an idea of what you want to go on to be/do at university? It's worth noting that subjects like Economics for a degree (especially at more prestigious unis) require Maths (sometimes even Further Maths). So I'd really recommend checking entry requirements for any courses you're interested in :smile:

Likewise, an accounting degree (or apprenticeship) doesn't require accounting (or any subject whatsoever actually, it's just the grades). So if you think you'd prefer to free it up with another subject, it's definitely worth considering.

All in all, your subjects are fine (and complement each other very well), but if you lack a specific idea of what you want to do, you might want to consider a more varied selection, or similarly if you do know what you want to do, take a look at the entry requirements as you might be surprised and be able to do something else (if you like it, of course: grades > subject, generally).

Hope this helps! Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by {Moss}
Perfectly fine if you enjoy them. It's worth noting though, they do narrow down your options quite a bit, but obviously if you're happy with that. More importantly, do you have an idea of what you want to go on to be/do at university? It's worth noting that subjects like Economics for a degree (especially at more prestigious unis) require Maths (sometimes even Further Maths). So I'd really recommend checking entry requirements for any courses you're interested in :smile:

Likewise, an accounting degree (or apprenticeship) doesn't require accounting (or any subject whatsoever actually, it's just the grades). So if you think you'd prefer to free it up with another subject, it's definitely worth considering.

All in all, your subjects are fine (and complement each other very well), but if you lack a specific idea of what you want to do, you might want to consider a more varied selection, or similarly if you do know what you want to do, take a look at the entry requirements as you might be surprised and be able to do something else (if you like it, of course: grades > subject, generally).

Hope this helps! Good luck :biggrin:

Thank you so much for the advice also one more thing I wanted to ask , I didn’t do well in my geography igcse exam , is it possible that I don’t need to submit that result
Reply 3
Original post by pinkmoonocean
Thank you so much for the advice also one more thing I wanted to ask , I didn’t do well in my geography igcse exam , is it possible that I don’t need to submit that result

Glad to be of assistance! So I don't think it would matter that much if you ignored it, because sixth forms/colleges generally only need a certain number of GCSEs, so long as you meet that criteria it's not of much importance (it is worth noting though that UCAS will need every single GCSE grade, if you do a UCAS application for universities, later in life).

On the other hand, it might be safer to just put it in just in case, to prevent unnecessary trouble if they are funny about it. It's worth noting that plenty of people will have grades that are quite a bit lower than some of their other subjects, and that's completely fine :smile:. So long as the subject isn't directly related to what you want to do (which in your case it's not), they'll pay barely any attention to it. The main thing is doing well in related subjects, and getting a certain number of passed GCSEs. E.g., doing badly in Textiles is in no way going to effect an application for Maths-related subjects.

To sum that up, I doubt it would matter if you did skip it, but personally I wouldn't just in case: as it's in no way similar to your subjects, it will have basically no effect on your application. Hope that helps, good luck once more!
Reply 4
thank you so much for helping me out
Reply 5
Original post by pinkmoonocean
is it ok for me to choose business accounting and economics as a level subjects?

Yes! I did and also business along with it. Got admitted into four unis in Uk so far, it’s great!
Reply 6
thank you so much for your advice

Quick Reply

Latest