The Student Room Group

Slightly anxious about clinical years (going into Yr3 after intercalating)

Hello, I have just come back from intercalating in a very non-medicine degree (nothing medicine related). I intercalated having done 2 years of pre-clinicals and at the time thought that it would be nice to do an intercalated degree in the gap between pre clinicals and clinicals.

I have totally forgotten like basic science and clinical medicine lol as my subject was very managementy (clue to what iBSc I did haha). On top of that I had a 12 week+ holiday after the iBSc degree finished.

As I enter pre-clinicals (year 3) in a few days I realise would it may be necessary to refresh this basic science/and basic clinical knowledge that was taught in years 1 and 2? I'm slightly anxious about forgetting it all as I don't want to make a clueless impression on the first day in wards (in 1 months time), some of the consultants at my hospital sound scary!

Do you think the pre-clinical knowledge will come naturally or should I refresh and look over preclinical notes for the 1 month before I actually enter wards?

Is there any actual point if we don't need to know anything about like tedious medical science stuff in clinical years e.g. molecular level pathogenesis of sepsis?

Perhaps I shud just read over OSCE notes?
I found that while at first it felt like I'd forgotten a lot, stuff did come back pretty quickly and I think I kinda caught back up to speed failrly easily. Personally, I'd enjoy the rest of your holiday, but it's up to you :smile:
Reply 2
Revision might get you in the right mindset, but tbh the knowledge you will need in clinical years is quite different! It’s more like symptoms and differentials :smile: OSCE videos and revision of some common conditions should be enough to get you on track. You won’t be the only one feeling out of practice!
I am a doctor and I don't know anything about the molecular pathogenesis of sepsis.

Almost every medical student worries about what they've forgotten after intercalation, and every single.one of them catches up again later! If I were you, I'd try not to worry, and the only thing I'd consider brushing up on are basic history-taking and examination skills covered in the earlier years. Any consultants that rail you for your clinical knowledge in the first day of clinicals isn't the kind of consultant whose opinion you should care about. Nothing you do will be good enough for them, so there's no point beating yourself up!
Reply 4
I didn't intercalate but I did cram like hell for my 2nd year exams and had forgotten most of it by the time 3rd year rolled around anyway. Many of my colleagues seemed to feel similarly. And to be honest most of it didn't come up anyway. You'll be fine
Reply 5
thank you guys, you're the best! x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending