The Student Room Group

Im just about to go into year 10 gcse history. Whats the best way to study?

I need to try and remember info really well. If you are studying history or have studied, which studying techniques worked for you? Please comment and reply. Thanks x
I'm about to go into year 11 and i have found that making flashcards and mindmaps have helped me :smile: I hope it helps you too!
Thank you i’ll try that! 🙂 just out of curiosity how many mocks did you have to do in year 10 and what is your estimated grade?
Take detailed notes in class, ideally colour coded. Write down anything you think of, and if it reminds you of something. If writing in slang helps you, do it! When you are reading these notes, you should remember being in the lesson and writing them, then you should remember what was written on the board etc. These notes don’t have to be neat, just legible.
When you start revising, rewrite your notes neatly in a new notebook. Try to condense them eg. 5 pages of info onto one new page. Don’t rewrite things that you know you will remember. Use these new notes to revise later on.
For names, dates etc. Quizlet is really good, and you can usually find ones already made on the topics you need.
(edited 5 years ago)
Wow, thank you thats very helpful advice.
I did eight mocks in year 10 and most of my results were lower than my estimated grades but that was my fault because i started revising late.
My estimated grades are:
-English lang and lit:6
-Maths:7
-Biology:7
-Chemistry:7
-Physics: 6 or 7(can't remember lol)
-History:7
-Geography:6 or 7
-Film Studies:8
-German: 7
And that's it!
(edited 5 years ago)
The method that helped me the most is just reading and re-reading the information that was given, usually in the form of plain text on a few pages. I found that the information got stuck into my head quite quickly. Mind maps and flashcards were useless for me, I disliked creating them. Past papers also helped, especially once you have had a few studying sessions and are answering questions in relation to what you have already learnt. It all depends on what works the best for you, try a few methods and see what helps you the most and stick with that.
Reply 7
Take notes in class but revise them the same day after school, and make posters, flashcards, mindmaps..etc while the info is still fresh in your mind-it will help with revision in the future. Also for the summer holiday make sure to revise the topics you've covered that year so you won't get into year 11 without knowing your previous topics. Also I write important dates and laws on post it notes and stick them around my room and desk, reading that everyday will practically ingrain it into your head. Good luck, year 10 is a big step up year 9 x
(edited 5 years ago)
One thing I did this summer was to make a huge timeline of events. I do IGCSE History, and the Depth Study was Germany 1918-1945. I got loads of A3 paper, wrote down the years and the events that happened. If you want to be more specific, you can write the significance of each, the causes and effects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending