The Student Room Group

Bank of England or IB/Trading

Hi,

I am in my final year of university and am debating whether to start at the Bank of England on their graduate scheme in 2019 (have an offer) or apply to investment banks for either trading or IBD roles - I am relatively confident about getting a place there.

From experience or perception, which of the options would be better for exit opportunities, future income, and prestige?

Any advice would be appreciated.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by 9forty
Hi,

I am in my final year of university and am debating whether to start at the Bank of England on their graduate scheme in 2019 (have an offer) or apply to investment banks for either trading or IBD roles - I am relatively confident about getting a place there.

From experience or perception, which of the options would be better for exit opportunities, future income, and prestige?

forget prestige focus on the role

*exit opps* are such a bad term to be applied broadly. all an *exit opp* is, is an option to move into a job with similar characteristics as your current one but in a different setting and with different lifestyle/comp setups.

prestige only comes into play when you're choosing between firms that have clear industry hierarchies because what firms do is largely similar like IB or accounting or consulting or tech. s&t and most other *performance-oriented* are different in that different firms are good at different things and your pay is mostly about how much you personally produce. for standard corporate jobs it's all about industry and size of company

so throw out the framework you're using right now to think about your career and focus your analysis on where you want to be role wise in the near future and possibly further onwards.
Original post by 9forty
Hi,

Apply to BBs and revisit this decision once you get an offer.
Reply 3
Original post by Terry Tibbs
Apply to BBs and revisit this decision once you get an offer.

The reason I am asking now is because of the deadline for when I need to reply to the BoE - I would not want to accept/reject if that is not what I figure out I want to do.
Reply 4
Original post by Princepieman
forget prestige focus on the role

*exit opps* are such a bad term to be applied broadly. all an *exit opp* is, is an option to move into a job with similar characteristics as your current one but in a different setting and with different lifestyle/comp setups.

prestige only comes into play when you're choosing between firms that have clear industry hierarchies because what firms do is largely similar like IB or accounting or consulting or tech. s&t and most other *performance-oriented* are different in that different firms are good at different things and your pay is mostly about how much you personally produce. for standard corporate jobs it's all about industry and size of company

so throw out the framework you're using right now to think about your career and focus your analysis on where you want to be role wise in the near future and possibly further onwards.

Thanks for the response. I think the words I chose to use were probably wrong, what I am looking for is advice from an objective perspective about future employment prospects from starting at the BoE vs. a mid-tier IBD/trading firm like (HSBC or BNP-p).

By prestige I mean employers’ view on how competitive and difficult it is to enter either the BoE or an IBD/Trading role. This is important to me because it acts as a proxy for future income/job prospects.
Original post by 9forty
Thanks for the response. I think the words I chose to use were probably wrong, what I am looking for is advice from an objective perspective about future employment prospects from starting at the BoE vs. a mid-tier IBD/trading firm like (HSBC or BNP-p).

By prestige I mean employers’ view on how competitive and difficult it is to enter either the BoE or an IBD/Trading role. This is important to me because it acts as a proxy for future income/job prospects.

Again.

You're not thinking about the right metrics. Where do you want to be in 5, 10 years? What exactly are you doing in BoE? (it's a pretty massive organisation) How does that role at BoE fit into how you see your career unfolding? How does IBD or S&T (which makes absolutely no sense to consider simultaneously btw, totally different jobs with totally different career paths) fit into where you see yourself?

Forget about prestige. Prestige is moot my dude. Think about the roles and your future. It literally makes no sense to think about prestige in this scenario.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by 9forty
The reason I am asking now is because of the deadline for when I need to reply to the BoE - I would not want to accept/reject if that is not what I figure out I want to do.

I know, I'm saying accept BoE in the meantime then back out if you get a BB offer. They can't force you to work for them if you change your mind.
It really depends on the type of work you want to do and what aspects of a career (compensation, hours, fulfilment etc) . Just out of interest, which division in BoE did you apply for? The two careers are quite different and it will be tough to switch from one to the other so you really do need to make up your mind. Also, keep in mind that getting a place in any competitive graduate programme is never a guarantee so you cannot assume that you will be likely to get a job in IB, whereas you say you’ve already got one in BoE.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending